I feel so bad for you admins/moderators...
I'm not sure if it's enabled, but myBB has an option to do an email confirmation on registration. This may help slow down some spamming.
It's enabled. These are not bots but people creating acounts and then handing them to bots.
Let me start off by stating that I have not run a forum since the early 2000's so I am not in the loop with the current stuff. With that being said I did a quick look on the MyBB Mods and these may be of interest.
  • Autoclose - It's very simple. Something like "close by post". When moderator wants to finish discussion and close the thread at the same time this plugin does the thing. After replying with specified string thread will automatically close.

It's kinda useless. PhpBB has such mod and I wrote it for a guy who needed it. Perhaps anybody else whould find it usefull.

You can choose thread close "command" (default "_close_"), replacement text (kind of standard message telling the thread is closed) and usergroups which can use it.
  • Automove - This was designed to be used with a Test/Spam forum and instead of deleting the threads it will automatically move them to either an archive or a hidden forum of your choosing based on how many hours old the thread is or based on how many hours old the last reply is.
  • Delete, reason - By using this plugin , you can define various delete reason for posts and a message for each of these reasons. When you delete post of another user using quick delete mode , you can select one of these reasons and automatically send the defined private message to him/her .

If you want to use this plugin in a language other than english , do not forget to convert the table `deletereason` to UTF-8 .
  • Required, approvals - This plugin allows administrators to set a number of posts that must be approved before the user can post without requiring approval. The default setting is 1 post but this can be changed in the plugin settings. Also now allows you to specify what forums it is active in.

I understand that this will more than likely require some more help from forum users that you may want to designate as official post-approvers.
we first need to upgrade the forum to a newer version, but that's kind of an issue with the size of the DB atm - constantly failed on my local tests
Well, we are all part of same community and Im sure that the team can rely on some community members to perform small tasks of maintenance here and there.

Its been suggested before many ways in which community memebrs can help, the ball is on the teams court and has been there for a long time.
Since another influx of Chinese spam is currently hitting the skinning forum, I'd like to once again suggest a posting time limit for new members that if exceeded trigger an auto-ban. Possibly give a link to ask for an account review on there no permissions page if they might not be spammers. I honestly do not know what tools are available to use but in case my original suggestion was overlooked I thought I would mention it one last time.

Thanks.

I really wish I had the ability to ban these users and delete their posts...
Hats off to all the Kodi guys here. I appreciate that these issues must be 1000 x more frustrating for you.

But as a normal user I can say that I subscribe to the android and hardware forums in their entirety which is a blessing and a curse. I'd like to stay on top of new things, but the sheer weight of crap new threads being posted there on a daily basis is frustrating to say the least.

Maybe new members or low post count should be further restricted from starting new threads?

Often there is already an existing thread that can answer such questions or at least push people to read first, post when they understand some things, and be redirected to a more appropriate thread thereafter if necessary.

New members constantly starting new threads to ask why their fire stick is crashing or asking for a recommendation on hardware when it seems they haven't even bothered to check anything for themselves starts to get a little tiresome...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I feel so bad for you admins/moderators...0