Kodi in the Car
Finished my RPi2/Kodi Car install today. Going to let the family test drive it for a few weeks. Next upgrade is full HDMI 17.3" display. Right now I'm on composite. I put a FOB based power supply so it all turns off when the car is turned off. No worries about leaving anything on. Right now 1TB of local storage. If things go well I'll throw 2TB's at it next. I had modified my in-dash stereo a long time ago to accept video input so that's just icing on the cake. Threw a Amazon Fire TV stick remote in the mix so now it behaves just like all my FTV's at home.

Roveer
Nice Setup, but that is some ugly car (no offense) - what make/model is that? looks more like a truck (the 18 wheel kind) than a car...
GMC is on the steering wheel
this is nice what is the kodi running on a ftv stick?
(2015-10-15, 12:17)kuldan Wrote: Nice Setup, but that is some ugly car (no offense) - what make/model is that? looks more like a truck (the 18 wheel kind) than a car...

That my friend is a 2003 Yukon Denali XL with 187k miles on it. We are proud of it and it's taken our family to florida no less than 10 times and with only a few exceptions has not given me a lot of trouble. A new Yukon Denali today is over 80K so I'm happy that this one is still running. Not everyone can have a Range Rover. And based on the way my wife treats cars, I for one am happy that this car is still running.
(2015-10-16, 16:50)TayVeon Wrote: this is nice what is the kodi running on a ftv stick?

I stayed away from FTV Stick because not many drop downs support HDMI and i was afraid that with the skin that I run it would be really slow. I first set up a full Fire TV for this application but realized that I was going to have to do extra power conversion to give the FTV the correct voltage (6V). I had previously built RPi/XBMC but was not overjoyed with the responsiveness of the old hardware. I run the CCM (Confluence Custimizable Mod) to give a really different / easy / highly customizable menu to my XBMC/KODI but it adds to the overhead. Halfway through my build I decided to give the new RPI 2 a shot and got a really cool Flirc case. Nice thing about RPi is that it takes microUSB 5v so that made things pretty easy. Couldn't be happier, and plenty responsive. Also, RPi has HDMI AND Composite, so right now I am using the Composite out which is what my flip down needs. Looking at a 17.3" HDMI flipdown as a replacement. If I had stuck with the FTV I would have had to use a HDMI to Composite converter which really made the picture poor. Happy that I went with the RPi.

Roveer
More info please Smile

What 1tb hdd (a 2.5" usb i assume). Is it getting power from the pi2, are you also using a usb hub for power, how are you getting the power to the setup in the first place (that truck doesn't have a usb port)

Take some pics, share some extra info. I wanted to make a portable kodi setup (to use in a car like this, or a hotel, or even my friends house), and less is more (so a pi2 w/usb hdd all from 1 power vs a hub/etc)

You are using a fire remote, but is that bluetooth, do you have any network connectivity in the car/etc?

Does the sound always need car speakers, or do you have a way of someone using headphones while you listen to music?

Not sure my kids deserve a full KODI experience all the way to Disney Wink
(2015-11-18, 15:49)00b5 Wrote: More info please Smile

What 1tb hdd (a 2.5" usb i assume). Is it getting power from the pi2, are you also using a usb hub for power, how are you getting the power to the setup in the first place (that truck doesn't have a usb port)

Take some pics, share some extra info. I wanted to make a portable kodi setup (to use in a car like this, or a hotel, or even my friends house), and less is more (so a pi2 w/usb hdd all from 1 power vs a hub/etc)

You are using a fire remote, but is that bluetooth, do you have any network connectivity in the car/etc?

Does the sound always need car speakers, or do you have a way of someone using headphones while you listen to music?

Sorry for the late reply.

USB 1TB 2.5 keep it simple, keep is small. In its own enclosure. Pi wouldn't power the HDD so I took 12v into round lighter sockets (a single into a double) then used those round little lighter/usb deals to power the HDD and Pi.

Fire TV remote is BT so I put a BT dongle (just the little nub thing) into the Pi and it works just fine. Had to configure it in OS first then it worked in Kodi.

You'll want the full Kodi experience on a long trip. Really cuts down on the aggravation factor... Have been doing it for years with lesser streamers, but now have an old friend for those long trips.

Next time I'm in the car I'll snap a few pics and post.

Roveer
(2015-12-09, 00:43)roveer Wrote:
(2015-11-18, 15:49)00b5 Wrote: More info please Smile

Sorry for the late reply.

USB 1TB 2.5 keep it simple, keep is small. In its own enclosure. Pi wouldn't power the HDD so I took 12v into round lighter sockets (a single into a double) then used those round little lighter/usb deals to power the HDD and Pi.

Fire TV remote is BT so I put a BT dongle (just the little nub thing) into the Pi and it works just fine. Had to configure it in OS first then it worked in Kodi.

You'll want the full Kodi experience on a long trip. Really cuts down on the aggravation factor... Have been doing it for years with lesser streamers, but now have an old friend for those long trips.

Next time I'm in the car I'll snap a few pics and post.

Roveer

How difficult is the addition of the FTV remote? Great idea btw.

-Bahndit
oh my god, lol i did not know that there is this option too, im just here to comment how much amazing this really is.
cool stuf, bu again im not sure if i would like that, but again, cool stuf...
and everything works normal? no problem?
That is G-R-E-A-T!! I am excited to see this working. What are you using for wifi?
I have though About the subject for quite some time and I do have my issues with it.

First is the Sound, so you kept the Radio you had Right? While searching for this DIY I found that most people had issues with the sound.

Then I believe that to add Kodi to a Car would be important to also be able to add Car features like Radio quite hard this one without any internet connection.

Adding a good Sat Nav would be important as well (Hard to find something useful).

Good and User friendly Design in terms of Theme for a Car.

But the idea is great but not easy to achieve the main Goal, build a complete Radio/MediaCenter/GPS at lower cost with better quality. (in our days you can find Android Systems doing it all and they would cost around £300.00 so, I don't know if this would be something to do or not.
how do you get internet?
is the screen touch?
. some carriers offer hotspots so he could run wifi off his phone if he wanted too.

I suppose if he was going camping he could get a pathway satellite receiver or something.

you could alos get a tv tuner run it through a cb antenna and get free ota

I think that would be overkill unless you were setting it up in an RV or something.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi in the Car0