Tronsmart Ara X5 Windows 10 TV Box Cherry Trail Z8300
(2015-10-16, 01:00)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2015-10-15, 23:29)noggin Wrote: I'm not near a Windows machine at the moment but from memory if you go to Control Panel > Sound, select your HDMI audio output device and then click on Properties you should be able to see a supported formats tab or something like it.

Thanks for the tip. It does not show the HD audio formats. Now, if this box supports HD audio, why don't they show up?
The heading shows "DENON-AVR Properties'. Then it has controller information: Intel SST Audio Device (WDM).

PCM 5.1/7.1 is enough to qualify for HD Audio, as you can losslessly software decode DTS HD and Dolby True HD to PCM 5.1/7.1 in most Blu-ray player software (WinDVD etc.) - as well as play PCM 5.1/7.1 Blu-ray tracks (which were common on early Blu-rays before DTS-HD and Dolby True HD mastering tools were released)
(2015-10-16, 01:04)Topken Wrote: This box MIGHT only support HD Audio under linux and NOT under Windows.

Certainly Baytrail N-series SoCs support HD Audio under Linux, but I'm not sure Baytrail-T Z-series SoCs do? (Even basic Linux support for PCM 2.0 was quite tricky at one point). Cherry Trail may be similar?

However Baytrail Z-series SoCs support 5.1/7.1 PCM under Windows (along with DTS/DD/DD+ bitstreaming) - which will allow decoding of HD Audio losslessly in most Blu-ray player software.

Be very useful to know what the Z-series situation was for Baytrail and Cherry Trail Z-series under Linux.
@clarkss12, I think only one reliable way to check if there is possible support for hd codecs passthrough is:
- right click on speaker/volume icon ( https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/...evice1.png ),
- select "Playback Devices" ( https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/...evice2.png ),
- click on your Denon receiver (should be listed),
- go Properties
- check "Encoded Formats" section for supported codecs.

Look here for example https://doityourselfhtpc.wordpress.com/2...l-core-i3/

I'd be thankful if you can post two pictures from your setup like these below:
https://doityourselfhtpc.files.wordpress...ttings.png
https://doityourselfhtpc.files.wordpress...ormats.png

Thanks in advance and best regards,
finger.
I just want to pass along a little information about some of these Chinese companies. It has always been the notion that you do not receive any support at all from most if not all of these Chinese companies, and I certainly can state that from my perspective as a purchaser of these media boxes, for 2.5 years that is Soooo true.

Well, for whatever reason, more and more of these Chinese companies are taking their long term survival more seriously. My Tronsmart Ara X5 died after 10 days of usage, the first for me with the dozen or so boxes I have purchased. Anyway, it died Monday morning, so I posted on the Tronsmart website about it dying, later that evening, (remember China is about 12 hours difference than me.) I received a PM on what to do. The next day, I mailed the X5 to the distribution point in California. I PM's the support person at Tronsmart with the tracking number, and that it is scheduled to arrive at their distribution point Thursday.

Well, a few minutes ago, I was on the Tronsmart form and there was another PM for me, the support person said they have dropped shipped me a new box from Amazon, and she will get a tracking number for me.

I thought that was awesome support.. Btw, not too long ago, I always SWORE that I would never EVER purchase a box from Rockchip or Tronsmart.

These companies are really trying to do what is best for the customer.
Thought I would pass along some information about Tronsmart and Geekbuying. My box died on Monday, and today Thursday, UPS dropped off a new box, typing on it now. Way to go Tronsmart and Geekbuying, awesome support.

There was no hassle at al, I just posted on the Tronsmart forum that my box died, and they PM'd me telling me what to do.

Disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with either Tronsmart or Geekbuying.
clarkss12, good to hear their customer service gets better and better :-)

So now you have new box, I'd like to ask you to do me a favour and post two screenshots I've mentioned before.

Thanks in advance,
finger,
(2015-10-23, 09:58)finger Wrote: clarkss12, good to hear their customer service gets better and better :-)

So now you have new box, I'd like to ask you to do me a favour and post two screenshots I've mentioned before.

Thanks in advance,
finger,

In the earlier part of this thread I had a lengthy conversation with noggin and it was determined that I am not getting HD audio passthrough. I don't have enough knowledge about the HD audio to really determine what I am getting. It was another person on Freaktab that said he got the HD audio working, I asked him to post on this site, so the experts can verify if it indeed is passing HD audio.

The really strange thing, now, my new box shows multi in, right from the factory. When I received my box orginally, it showed DTS while playing Avatar 1080p rip. When I added some codecs to my original box, I lost the DTS display on my Denon receiver and started getting multi in, while using Kodi. If I played Avatar using VLC, it would show DTS, but now with this new box, it still shows multi in, even playing with VLC.
From memory the Baytrail-T Z-series (and I wouldn't be surprised if the Cherry Trail equivalents were similar) output DD/DTS/DD+ passthrough/bitstream or up to 8 channel (i.e. 7.1) PCM. If you are running Windows then you can chose either to bitstream DD/DTS or decode to multichannel PCM and output multichannel PCM. Your amp will reflect the difference between the two.

If you have suitable software, you could losslessly decode DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD to PCM 5.1/7.1 as well as playing content with PCM 5.1/7.1 tracks without quality loss too. You won't be getting HD Audio bitstreamed, but you will still be getting lossless decoded HD audio (you have just switched the decode process from your amp to your computer). This requires that you have a codec pack or player software that supports HD Audio decoding. Until recently there were only Open Source decoders for Dolby True HD but not DTS-HD (MA and HRA). However there are now Open Source decoders for DTS-HD MA and HRA too. (Which is how the Pi 2 supports HD Audio lossless playback)
(2015-10-23, 16:19)noggin Wrote: From memory the Baytrail-T Z-series (and I wouldn't be surprised if the Cherry Trail equivalents were similar) output DD/DTS/DD+ passthrough/bitstream or up to 8 channel (i.e. 7.1) PCM. If you are running Windows then you can chose either to bitstream DD/DTS or decode to multichannel PCM and output multichannel PCM. Your amp will reflect the difference between the two.

If you have suitable software, you could losslessly decode DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD to PCM 5.1/7.1 as well as playing content with PCM 5.1/7.1 tracks without quality loss too. You won't be getting HD Audio bitstreamed, but you will still be getting lossless decoded HD audio (you have just switched the decode process from your amp to your computer). This requires that you have a codec pack or player software that supports HD Audio decoding. Until recently there were only Open Source decoders for Dolby True HD but not DTS-HD (MA and HRA). However there are now Open Source decoders for DTS-HD MA and HRA too. (Which is how the Pi 2 supports HD Audio lossless playback)

Thanks for that information, I think I understood most of it.
@clarkss12

I've got the same box... using in similar way to you, hooked up to a Synology 1815+ controlled via an Rii8 Mini keyboard

Have you found any newer drivers for it?

The drivers that came with mine are slightly newer revs than the pack they have on the Tronsmart site but, given the newness of the platform I'm finding some drop outs/disconnects on wifi and the front USB 2 seems to also have dropouts paired with the MiniKeyboard - it works fine when the usb dongle is in other machines...

I found new drivers and firmware for the Intel TXEI and Asix NIC both of which installed fine.

I wish there were newer Intel GPU drivers as the main Intel GPU branch as had quite a few [good] changes since the z8300 ones were first packaged.

~Koog
(2015-10-25, 12:48)dakooga Wrote: @clarkss12

I've got the same box... using in similar way to you, hooked up to a Synology 1815+ controlled via an Rii8 Mini keyboard

Have you found any newer drivers for it?

The drivers that came with mine are slightly newer revs than the pack they have on the Tronsmart site but, given the newness of the platform I'm finding some drop outs/disconnects on wifi and the front USB 2 seems to also have dropouts paired with the MiniKeyboard - it works fine when the usb dongle is in other machines...

I found new drivers and firmware for the Intel TXEI and Asix NIC both of which installed fine.

I wish there were newer Intel GPU drivers as the main Intel GPU branch as had quite a few [good] changes since the z8300 ones were first packaged.

~Koog
I don't know about wifi, I only use Ethernet. I have not noticed any dropouts using the USB ports while using my HausBell H7 (same as your Rii8), or the wireless mouse.

My only complaint is with Windows 10, in "file explorer", it cannot "see" my Synology NAS or WDmyCloud NAS. I can map the folders from those NAS, but still causes problems with other apps.

I am very pleased with this device, sees to be a very capable media player, and DVR/PVR frontend. It plays all my BluRay rips without any problems at all.

What advantage did you find when you updated the drivers you found?
With the Intel TXEI I didn't notice anything new but firmware and drivers were a few points newer is all, with the Asix NIC drivers I noticed it was a bit faster to gather all networks devices (but thats very very circumstantial and may well be my mind playing tricks on me).... ! The version I found was 3.18.10.

It's a weird choice to put a 10Mbps NIC on the device when a Gbps one is probably a few cents more only.

I'll look into the H7 maybe I'll switch.

In Windows 10 u might need to change the network to a private one in order for share discovery to work? By default all networks start out being Public...maybe thats it?

~Koog
(2015-10-25, 15:32)dakooga Wrote: With the Intel TXEI I didn't notice anything new but firmware and drivers were a few points newer is all, with the Asix NIC drivers I noticed it was a bit faster to gather all networks devices (but thats very very circumstantial and may well be my mind playing tricks on me).... ! The version I found was 3.18.10.

It's a weird choice to put a 10Mbps NIC on the device when a Gbps one is probably a few cents more only.

I'll look into the H7 maybe I'll switch.

In Windows 10 u might need to change the network to a private one in order for share discovery to work? By default all networks start out being Public...maybe thats it?

~Koog

I have tried every solution I have found by searching the web. Do you have a NAS, if so, does it show up in your file explorer? I am sure this is a Windows10 thing.

yes, I can't understand why any device made today does not have gigabit Ethernet.

This is a very nice media player, and a basic device for email and surfing web. I have not had any heat issues at all. I am using this box to type this, rarely use my desktop computer any more for the basics.

Where did you get the updated Ethernet driver, mine is 3.16.12.514
I can see my Synology just fine in the windows 10 Network display... it appears as another machine. I can then click through the machine to see what folders are shared on it.

If you want to you can map a shared folder as a drive and see it in windows explorer as if it part of your machine - I prefer to not to map drives though.

Whats NAS do you have? Maybe you need to enable SMB sharing and network workgroup name or something?

~Koog
I have an older Synology DS211j and a new WDMyCloud 4 terabyte. File explorer sees them as a DLNA client, and when I click on the NAS icon it opens a web page instead of the file structure. When I use Windows explorer on my Windows7 desktop machine and click on the NAS icon I see ALL the files and folders.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tronsmart Ara X5 Windows 10 TV Box Cherry Trail Z83000