v16 DD/DTS on the Fire TV 2
Hey guys,
so, I received the 5.1 fix a few days ago and since then I am trying to get DD/DTS to work on my Fire TV 2 and after fiddeling around with it I came to the conclusion that it's definitely related to Kodi running on the Fire TV 2. DD works totally fine on normal amazon/netflix content but as soon as I want to run something within kodi I only get static noise once I enable pass through. PCM 5.1 works just fine though but I'd like to know if the Kodi team is aware of the issue or if it is related to something else. I know that Android doesn't even support DTS naturally and that it's kinda hacked together but DTS always worked just fine for me on my Fire TV 1 and my Denon X2100W but with the Fire TV 2 it's not working anymore.

Is there any kind of update, fix or at least acknowledgement in sight that shows that the Kodi team is aware of the issue? If they don't care for it and don't want to invest the time to bypass the issue that is fine with me since it is a free product but then I'll send my Fire TV 2 back and just continue to use my old WD TV Live HD, that's why I am asking.

Thanks!
I had a simalar issue with Nvidia Shield TV running AndroidTV, and i had to make changes to the audio in the OS. Sorry, im not infront of it right now, but i had to change the Volume output to be Always on, and i couldnt change the volume in Android, only on my receiver. That was the only way i could make it work or i would just hear static when doing passthrough

When i get home and can look at what i had to change, but it was in Android, not Kodi
Thanks for your answer first but this option isn't available on the Fire TV OS, so unless it's a setting in Kodi (which you said it isn't) I can't change it. Like I said, Kodi works just fine with the Fire TV 1 and only with the Fire TV 2 it has issues with DD/DTS so it has definitely something to do with Kodi and the new hardware.
Hi,

Did you manage to solve this issue? I have a similar problem on my FTV 1, described in this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=244859

Best regards, Daniel
I get Dolby Digital 5.1 on my Fire TV Stick with Kodi 15.2 Isengard once pass-through is enabled, but I don't get DTS 5.1 here (I somehow end up with the left/right channels of the DTS stream as stereo output). I'm running FireTV through a JTech break-out box that gives me optical output for my older non-HDMI receiver plus 3-input remote switching. It claims to fully support both Dolby Digital and DTS and even the HD variants (assuming HDMI only there as it says it does up to 5.1 through toslink optical out). Edit: After testing my old Gen1 ATV with XBMC Eden, I get DTS just fine over the Jtech device connected via HDMI out from the AppleTV to the Jtech and then to the receiver using the Jtech's S/PDIF optical output, so the problem definitely isn't the Jtech breakout box.

I can only hope when the Nov 30th update comes out (that does regular Dolby Digital) that DTS starts working. I already get regular Dolby Digital, though even though the FireTV2's preferences only show Dolby Digital Plus. I don't know if the Jtech device strips any "plus" signals automatically so it can send the rest over S/PDIF and that's why my old receiver gets Dolby Digital anyway or what. The preference setting for FireTV2 makes zero difference to Kodi (i.e. setting it to stereo only in FireTV doesn't stop Kodi from outputting Dolbly Digital through passthrough).
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DD/DTS on the Fire TV 20