Hardware recomendation for running Retroplayer?
I have only ever emulated games on x86 architecture. I never really used ARM. I would love to buy a simple cheap device. Probably arm based with a decent gpu so that i could emulate up to playstation 1 one and maybe playstation 2 or Saturn/dreamcast.

So here are some questions if anyone can answer. I think it would be interesting to get everyone's opinion

1. What is the current state of emulation compatibility and performance when it comes to Linux VS Windows? Are they both pretty even?

2. If i wanted something that was energy efficient for say around $100-$200 and could run retroplayer and most of the emulators up playstation or playstation 2. What would be the contenders?

I am currently running a PC on my TV and its much too power hungry. I want something compact/cheap with good energy usage with good enough performance. If they are cheap enough maybe i would consider gifting this hardware to friends and family.

Thanks
-Mike
you're shooting at a moving target. hardware is always gonna get faster and cheaper, and software is always gonna get faster and more compatible.

the raspberry pi is the endgame. now that it can run basic emulators in Kodi, it's only a matter of time before it becomes the ideal platform for retro gaming. as long as other hardware is recommended, I still have work to do Smile
Raspberry Pi 2 works well with the latest openELEC builds. Was a bit slow of a few things I found but it worked.

There may be many other cheap boxes that work in the future though, who knows whats around the corner Wink
I'm not a big ARM fan just yet. These systems seem to be the pinnacle of low power, low cost solutions, I find that they often are limited in possibilities. There always seems to be one more functionality that is just out of reach. If you aren't bothered by some (or a lot of) tinkering and tweaking, a Pi2 may be just right for you. I like the lazy route and chose an ULV x86 system. I like the Brix / NUC / etc. solutions best.
Yeh personally I would get a cheap low power Intel NUC for games, never have to worry about cpu power then.
Yeah i been researching it a little bit this morning. I really wish AMD Zen could come out so i can get an APU at 14nm.

The current AMD APU's are good but can't seem to find many offerings in a small form factor. at least not one i could build with a $200 budget. Not sure if an AMD 5350 is considered a better GPU than say an ARM Tegra for example.

Personally i would want something like the A10-7800 APU but in the form factor of a NUC. can't find one though. Also to build a A10-7800 would easily hit $300+ in parts. Sad

Anyways I will keep looking.. if i find something cool and cheap i update this thread.
If you're waiting for Zen, you'll be on hold for the next 15 or so months. Don't underestimate the Iris gpu in Intel's cpu's though. They've come a long way and are almost as powerful, without being power hungry.
It depends on how retro you want to go. If you're looking to run the dolphin emulator (Wii and gamecube games) at 3x resolution, then you're going to need a lot more power than for playing previous generation games.

And by a lot more power, I'm talking an overclocked 2500k or better.
(2015-10-17, 20:56)corpgator Wrote: It depends on how retro you want to go. If you're looking to run the dolphin emulator (Wii and gamecube games) at 3x resolution, then you're going to need a lot more power than for playing previous generation games.

And by a lot more power, I'm talking an overclocked 2500k or better.

Would a broadwell i5 nuc get me there?
The NUC uses ULV laptop processors. They are very good, but not as powerful as their desktop counterparts. My i3 ULV runs all emulators in retroplayer just fine, but if you want to upscale likecorpgator describes, a Small Formfactor machine will not do. If your looking for a quiet and powerful living room machine, go for a dual core ULV.
I would love to see RetroPlayer on Android some day tbh! I just ordered my nvidia shield TV. Having retro games on that thing would be really a match in heaven! I suppose compiling the sources including the current state of RetroPlayer won't be enough?
Using: Zotac ZBOX ID84, Dual Core ATOM D2550, 2 GB RAM, 40 GB SSD
Base system: OpenELEC 4.2 (XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
(2015-10-29, 11:55)moonwhaler Wrote: I would love to see RetroPlayer on Android some day tbh! I just ordered my nvidia shield TV. Having retro games on that thing would be really a match in heaven! I suppose compiling the sources including the current state of RetroPlayer won't be enough?
Obviously not as nice as RetroPlayer but if you are on Android you can still sideload emulators. But of course you won't get Kodi's amazing interface and scraping abilities. I honestly can't wait for the RetroPlayer to be finished. It will absolutely seal the whole Kodi package. Just having advanced input support is awesome too.
I have just got a 4130T for hopefully running dolphin decently whenever the core gets ported. Also I hope that in the future more modern arcade emulator cores will be ported (naomi to name one).
Has anyone tried the gigabyte brix 1900 with retroplayer?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product...x?pid=5118

I saw it bare bones at frys for $99
Specs
Intel® Celeron® Processor J1900 up to 2.42GHz
1 x Half-size mini-PCIe slot occupied by the WiFi+BT card
1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (HDMI 1.4a)
1 x USB 3.0
1x SO-DIMM DDR3L 1.35V slot 1333MHz Max. 8GB
Intel® HD Graphics

Thought this might be good build for openelec retroplayer. Wonder how far it could handle emulation up to. Maybe playstation 1?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware recomendation for running Retroplayer?0