Can't stream external subtitles with Kodi 15.2 (Linux)
Hi guys!

Currently I'm using TVersity in Windows to stream all my movies (mkv, mp4, ...) including external subtitles to my PS3.
My objective is to shift to Linux and I found Kodi as a great replacement for TVersity.

I installed Linux Mint 17.2 (Rafaela) and Kodi 15.2 (Isengard) with no hassle. I'm using UPnP to stream the movies.

My only problem is that I can't get the subtitles (which are external ".srt") to show during the movie. The movies are streamed ok, but without subtitles.
I'm a bit frustrated because according to the release notes, v15.2 has this feature.

Can someone please help me? What steps should I take?

Thanks in advance.

Regards!
I'm guessing the PS3 doesn't support external subtitles and TVersity was transcoding the video adding the subtitles into the stream to the PS3.

Kodi doesn't do transcoding and it's focus is playing back media. If you're wanting to upgrade to Linux on your PC (great move BTW) have a look at UMS: http://www.universalmediaserver.com/ it's multi-platform and it will be a good TVersity replacement.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2015-10-19, 18:50)Dangelus Wrote: I'm guessing the PS3 doesn't support external subtitles and TVersity was transcoding the video adding the subtitles into the stream to the PS3.

Kodi doesn't do transcoding and it's focus is playing back media. If you're wanting to upgrade to Linux on your PC (great move BTW) have a look at UMS: http://www.universalmediaserver.com/ it's multi-platform and it will be a good TVersity replacement.

Hi Dangelus,

Thanks for the quick reply.
What you say about TVersity is true. In order to have subtitles I'm always transcoding.
BTW, thanks for the tip about UMS, to be honest I wasn't aware of it.

My frustration regarding Kodi is I like it and according to the feature list, it supports streaming external subtitles through UPnP. So if I understood the problem resides on PS3? There's no way to do it with PS3?

Regards.
(2015-10-20, 00:16)nero.god Wrote:
(2015-10-19, 18:50)Dangelus Wrote: I'm guessing the PS3 doesn't support external subtitles and TVersity was transcoding the video adding the subtitles into the stream to the PS3.

Hi Dangelus,

Thanks for the quick reply.
What you say about TVersity is true. In order to have subtitles I'm always transcoding.
BTW, thanks for the tip about UMS, to be honest I wasn't aware of it.

My frustration regarding Kodi is I like it and according to the feature list, it supports streaming external subtitles through UPnP. So if I understood the problem resides on PS3? There's no way to do it with PS3?

Regards.

Yes it's the PS3 that's the issue. It doesn't support external subtitles via UPnP I believe. You're stuck transcoding if you are determined to use the PS3 as your client I'm afraid.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't stream external subtitles with Kodi 15.2 (Linux)0