Hold refresh rate after video playback
Hi

I hope this hasn't already been requested but I couldn't find anything that implied it had. Here's my situation:

I have Kodi connected to a projector that takes 12 seconds to sync itself to resolution/refresh rate changes. Normally I'm running at 60Hz as I also game on this machine. Opening Kodi to watch some film trailers I press play on a trailer, wait 12 seconds after Kodi switches to 24Hz, then when the trailer finishes I wait another 12 seconds after Kodi switches back to 60Hz. Then I choose another trailer, wait 12 seconds for the switch, watch the trailer and wait another 12 seconds for the switch back. And over and over. If you hadn't guessed, this is tedious!

Now what I was thinking is it would be great to have an option for refresh rate switching that actually holds a refresh rate after the video has been played, rather than switching back to the previous setting. In my situation, I tend to watch lots of trailers (24Hz), or lots of TV (25Hz here in UK) or general YouTube/Streams (usually 30/60Hz) in seperate clumps. So just knowing that after watching one 24p file, the display sticks to 24Hz would be amazing.

Thanks for reading Smile

DiGiTaLFX
I believe 24 fps videos are played at 60 Hz - right?
Have you tried setting the GUI refresh rate to 60 Hz? This way YouTube videos and trailers shouldn't need to change the refresh rate. 25 fps videos will do, but I guess you'd be ok waiting 12 seconds every ~40 minutes.

If you meant 23.976 then that's different.
Pretty sure he means 23.976 and the GUI is at 60hz already. It would be a useful feature to have 'GUI refresh rate matches last video'.

Edit: why would 24.000hz videos playback at 60hz? 24.000hz is a valid mode on some displays is it not ?
Ok, yes for accuracy I meant 23.976fps trailers. I didn't see the need to be that specific. (Although as feathers mentions, I have modes for 23Hz, 24Hz, 25Hz, 50Hz, 59Hz and 60Hz).
Kodi picks the highest multiple supported by the display or uses a 2:3 cadence.
24 (-> 48 -> ...) -> 3:2 pulldown = 60
23.976 (-> 47.952 -> ...) -> 3:2 pulldown = 59.94
25 -> 50
30 -> 60

Setting the GUI to 60 fps would have worked for 24 fps and 30/60, but in case of 23.976 material it still needs to adjust to 59.94 - so I don't have any suggestion for your use case, leaving this as feature request.
Great, thanks for looking into it Smile
I would love this to be added. Sure it's only about 4-5 seconds when I start or stop a video but it does add up and would be nicer if gone altogether.
The gui would look awful if displayed in 23.9 or 24 or 25hz.

So I'm telling you right now, this is not going to happen.

Also menakite is just wrong about what he said. Playing a 23.9 video on 60hz is definitely less ideal than playing it on 59.9 hz, but it would still play fine. Just like 59.9 would be less ideal than 23.9. (This is also EXACTLY what the feature "sync playback to display" is for). Also OP said his projector supports all display rates, making what you said even more irrelevant.

Back to topic though...

This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen you post the exact same thread, and you've been given your answer.

Either find a creative solution for your problem, or deal with it.

If you don't care about how the gui looks, set the refresh rate permanently to what you watch the most, that way the change will happen less often.

If only trailers bother you, set the refresh rate to whatever the trailers are, and then the switch will only happen if you watch movies or tv or whatever else.

Or turn off adjust display refresh rate completely.

Or just deal with your 12 second pause... Or just do it all manually

But what you're requesting will never be done, because, and I mean no offense what so ever, it's pretty stupid.
In an ideal world you would set the GUI framerate to 47.95 or 71.93 which allows decent GUI smoothness and perfect playback of 23.97 videos (which most videos are) and no HDMI switching time on start/stop. I have a dell monitor at work that supports these framerates and can set a custom video mode on the Pi and it works very nicely.

Unfortunately my Panasonic TV at home doesn't support these modes. I need to choose between unsmooth gui (at 23.97Hz), unsmooth video playback (always using 59.97Hz and getting 3:2 pulldown), or decent GUI and video, but a few seconds of HDMI switching time on start/stop. I'm currently using the third option, although did go with the first for a few months.
(2015-10-28, 17:05)ilovethakush Wrote: Also menakite is just wrong about what he said. Playing a 23.9 video on 60hz is definitely less ideal than playing it on 59.9 hz, but it would still play fine. Just like 59.9 would be less ideal than 23.9. (This is also EXACTLY what the feature "sync playback to display" is for). Also OP said his projector supports all display rates, making what you said even more irrelevant.
I'm not sure where you've read this.

Edit: problem is that "Adjust refresh rate" is wanted (as far as I understand) and I was suggesting to set the GUI to the most used refresh rate. Basically, what popcornmix said.
I've never said something doesn't play or looks bad.
(2015-10-28, 18:10)menakite Wrote:
(2015-10-28, 17:05)ilovethakush Wrote: Also menakite is just wrong about what he said. Playing a 23.9 video on 60hz is definitely less ideal than playing it on 59.9 hz, but it would still play fine. Just like 59.9 would be less ideal than 23.9. (This is also EXACTLY what the feature "sync playback to display" is for). Also OP said his projector supports all display rates, making what you said even more irrelevant.
I'm not sure where you've read this.

Edit: problem is that "Adjust refresh rate" is wanted (as far as I understand) and I was suggesting to set the GUI to the most used refresh rate. Basically, what popcornmix said.
I've never said something doesn't play or looks bad.

I guess I was confused when you said this

(2015-10-24, 01:45)menakite Wrote: Setting the GUI to 60 fps would have worked for 24 fps and 30/60, but in case of 23.976 material it still needs to adjust to 59.94 - so I don't have any suggestion for your use case, leaving this as feature request.
(2015-10-28, 17:05)ilovethakush Wrote: This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen you post the exact same thread, and you've been given your answer.

Hey, I'm sorry for requesting this if it's not practical, but this is only the second thread I've ever created on these forums Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hold refresh rate after video playback0