Need help - I think I bricked my ChromeBox (ASUS M004U)
Hi guys,

I bought an ASUS ChromeBox M004U

I followed the instructions here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/ASUS_Chromebox

I went for a Standalone setup, so I don't have the ChromeOS no more.

It worked for a while, now it won't start.

If I leave it unplugged for a while, it will boot and I will see the SeaBios prompt, where I can press ESC for boot menu.

In the boot options I see my SSD drive, and I've tried also inserting a USB stick made with the ChromeBox restore application.

Whatever I choose (SSD or the USB stick) I get a black screen and the fan turns off... I also notice a slight difference in the luminosity of the power-on light (on the box).

I've also tried this:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Perform_a_Factory_Reset

But when I use a paperclip to press the Recovery button and power on the device, nothing happens.

I mean it still will show the SeaBios screen.

I push the paperclip before pressing power and keep it pushed down... or I push it repeatedly... etc... nothing's different Sad

So is there anything to do or my ChromeBox is good for trash :'( ??
Would seem to make more sense to talk to Asus support. Sounds like you need to get the timing of that reset button a bit better. Often you have to press buttons like that for 30 seconds or more during the whole of a boot-up procedure. Maybe someone has a YouTube video doing it?
I called ASUS support and the dude thought I was a retard, and just said that I need to press the reset button with a paperclip, and keep it pressed, then turn on the device.

I tried to ask if there was a time for pressing button and he just kept saying no, you need to press the reset button with a paperclip, and keep it pressed, then turn on the device.

So no progress there Sad
Sounds like you need to talk to the product supplier then. Maybe it is a broken reset button.
Don't keep telling this guy to talk to other people lol

I have a chromebox, I have openelec standalone.

It's very easy to press the reset button, you feel it and if you listen closely enough can hear it when pressed with a paper clip, then you just turn on the device.

So what happens when you do this? If it doesn't turn on, it's broken, I don't know what happened to it but I have never heard of this before
(2015-10-28, 21:54)ilovethakush Wrote: Don't keep telling this guy to talk to other people lol
Rofl But my next suggestion was going to be "Ask to borrow a screwdriver and open the thing up".

What I meant was - warranty job. This is Asus and not some cheapo no-name junk so I'd expect decent support.

And if not warranty, crack the thing open. If ya can't find a reset switch by poking a pokey thing in the hole it may be that the actual switch has broken. I have seen this happen (on different hardware) by poking the pokey thing too hard in the pokey hole.

Or maybe I just like opening things up. I have a large range of hammers in different sizes Big Grin
Yeah but if you checked my initial thread, you'll notice that I mentioned that :

1) I already opened the box in order to remove the write-protect screw, therefore disabling the firmware write protect

2) I installed SeaBios in standalone mode, therefore replacing the native BIOS

So i'm pretty sure I voided the warranty, by doing that Sad

The supplier is Amazon

And yes when I can feel and hear the "click" when I press the reset button

What happens when I do this is two scenario :

1) If I boot like that, nothing happens

2) If I boot like that, but with a bootable USB key inserted, then the SEABIOS boot menu will appear, and I can choose the SSD drive, or the USB drive, whichever I choose, nothing happens.
Have you posted your issue here?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362

Matt is very active and helpful there, give him a buzz.
(2015-10-29, 05:04)cd2022 Wrote: Have you posted your issue here?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362

Matt is very active and helpful there, give him a buzz.

Awesome, thanks!!!
You did a standalone setup. Have you tried just making a boot USB drive of Ubuntu and boot to that?
(2015-10-24, 21:33)J-Blaze Wrote: Hi guys,

I bought an ASUS ChromeBox M004U

I followed the instructions here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/ASUS_Chromebox

I went for a Standalone setup, so I don't have the ChromeOS no more.

It worked for a while, now it won't start.

If I leave it unplugged for a while, it will boot and I will see the SeaBios prompt, where I can press ESC for boot menu.

In the boot options I see my SSD drive, and I've tried also inserting a USB stick made with the ChromeBox restore application.

the ChromeOS recovery utility will only boot with the stock firmware installed. Since you replaced the stock firmware with my custom one, that's not going to work.

Quote:Whatever I choose (SSD or the USB stick) I get a black screen and the fan turns off... I also notice a slight difference in the luminosity of the power-on light (on the box).

the fan always surges slightly at power on/reboot, then settles down once it starts to boot an OS. The power LED flashes when reading from disk / booting.

Quote:I've also tried this:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Perform_a_Factory_Reset

But when I use a paperclip to press the Recovery button and power on the device, nothing happens.

the recovery button is a function of the stock firmware, which you no longer have; pressing the button will do nothing.

Quote:I mean it still will show the SeaBios screen.

so it's not bricked.

Quote:I push the paperclip before pressing power and keep it pushed down... or I push it repeatedly... etc... nothing's different Sad

see above.

Quote:So is there anything to do or my ChromeBox is good for trash :'( ??

create an OpenELEC install USB using the instructions on the OpenELEC site for the disk image version of 5.95.5. Boot the ChromeBox with the USB, then choose the option to upgrade/repair.

FYI, as a general rule, if you power on and get video, it's not bricked.
(2015-10-29, 08:10)Matt Devo Wrote: create an OpenELEC install USB using the instructions on the OpenELEC site for the disk image version of 5.95.5. Boot the ChromeBox with the USB, then choose the option to upgrade/repair.

Wow.
Just wow!

Matt you're a genius.

I've been banging my head on that thing for hours... now within 5 minutes it's been fixed.

Thank you so much!!!

I could not upgrade/repair so I did a new install and now I'm running OpenELEC with Kodi.

I would like to know from there how I can restore ChromeOS or perform a factory reset?
Follow the Wiki

Matt wrote the majority (if not all) of it and the directions for resetting to stock is there. Make sure you follow the directions for the standalone setup.
(2015-10-30, 06:58)katsup Wrote: Follow the Wiki

Matt wrote the majority (if not all) of it and the directions for resetting to stock is there. Make sure you follow the directions for the standalone setup.

Awww... yup you're right, I should have read through...

Such a n00b I am...

http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Resetting_to_Stock

Made Ubuntu USB boot stick

Booted into Ubuntu, started LiveCD

Opened terminal, downloaded and ran the ChromeOS device Firmware Utility script

Then restored ChromeOS using Chromebook Recovery Utility

Everything's cool

Wiki is awesome, thanks for everything!
(2015-10-30, 07:12)J-Blaze Wrote:
(2015-10-30, 06:58)katsup Wrote: Follow the Wiki

Wiki is awesome, thanks for everything!

Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help - I think I bricked my ChromeBox (ASUS M004U)0