Need help - I think I bricked my ChromeBox (ASUS M004U)
Hi, Sorry to be jumping on the back of this one, but I have a similar scenario. Chromebox worked a treat standalone install for about 8 months now. Just the other night it went into a restart from the stable build it has been on the whole time, then just kept restarting.. It cycles the KODI 14.2 welcome with a curser arrow, then blacks out and cycles back to that again every few seconds, If I do the same and image a USB is this going to pick it up or could it be something more than this. I was very encouraged to see your comment about video output, which im hanging onto at the moment.
Also thanks for all your hard work, its been highly appreciated and worked seamlessly.. looking forward to trying 6 I am hoping to get a preview if this beta image boots?
Hi folks

Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I have a similar issue with a brand new HP Chromebox.

I followed the wiki instructions to try to get standalone Openelec to work. Bootable USB created, etc and stock firmware replaced. When I reboot though, I just see the SeaBIOS prompt and it hangs on "Booting from hard disk..." and doesn't do anything. I don't even see a prompt to press escape to get the boot menu, etc. Hitting escape doesn't do anything either - early or late.

I tried with bootable Ubuntu Live and Openelec USBs - no luck with either. Both USBs boot fine in all other PCs.

It's like the Chromebox just can't boot off the USB at all and I can't even force it to do it.

Any help us much appreciated!

Infocus
Thread moved to the hardware section.

But have a look in that section anyway, as there are a couple of similar threads there already which may give some assistance anyway.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-01-30, 02:54)infocus13 Wrote: Hi folks

Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I have a similar issue with a brand new HP Chromebox.

I followed the wiki instructions to try to get standalone Openelec to work. Bootable USB created, etc and stock firmware replaced. When I reboot though, I just see the SeaBIOS prompt and it hangs on "Booting from hard disk..." and doesn't do anything. I don't even see a prompt to press escape to get the boot menu, etc. Hitting escape doesn't do anything either - early or late.

I tried with bootable Ubuntu Live and Openelec USBs - no luck with either. Both USBs boot fine in all other PCs.

It's like the Chromebox just can't boot off the USB at all and I can't even force it to do it.

Any help us much appreciated!

Infocus

the troubleshooting section of the wiki page tells you exactly what the issue is:

Quote:If you have a standalone setup, and are trying to boot from USB:
* If you see the 'Press ESC for boot menu' text but pressing it doesn't work, then the issue is your keyboard, so try using a different one.
* If you don't see the 'Press ESC for boot menu' text, then the issue is with your boot media, so try using a different USB flash drive.

it doesn't matter that the USB sticks work in other machines, which have more permissive firmware. Grab another USB stick (or SD card) and make sure you are following the instructions from the OpenELEC wiki (linked from the CB wiki page) in order to create proper boot media using the disk image version of OpenELEC (d/l link on the CB wiki page)
Quote:it doesn't matter that the USB sticks work in other machines, which have more permissive firmware. Grab another USB stick (or SD card) and make sure you are following the instructions from the OpenELEC wiki (linked from the CB wiki page) in order to create proper boot media using the disk image version of OpenELEC (d/l link on the CB wiki page)

This worked!! I tried 3 different USB sticks - none of them worked (same result as I described). Finally found an old SD card, flashed it with the Openelec image and the Chromebox booted!!!

Thanks for your help Matt, awesome!
I am so at this point! Sad ok I have an Asus Chromebox., did the screw,. did everything step by step. But when asked the question of where to boot from,. I put in hard disk., no now when I boot up it says Booting from hard disk. So I did the USB,. I really don't know what I am really doing,. Downloaded Rufus,. downloaded the image
LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Linux-64bit.bin and dumped that on the USB through Rufus., then when I use the USB to boot the Chromebox it now says press escape to enter the boot menu,. so I do,. then it shows the Chromebox drive and the USB drive., if I choose the USB drive I get a C:\ prompt,. Am I missing something else? DId I need to add anything else to the USB?,. all help is appreciated! Smile
(2016-12-27, 04:33)wtwaggoner Wrote: I am so at this point! Sad ok I have an Asus Chromebox., did the screw,. did everything step by step. But when asked the question of where to boot from,. I put in hard disk., no now when I boot up it says Booting from hard disk. So I did the USB,. I really don't know what I am really doing,. Downloaded Rufus,. downloaded the image
LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Linux-64bit.bin and dumped that on the USB through Rufus., then when I use the USB to boot the Chromebox it now says press escape to enter the boot menu,. so I do,. then it shows the Chromebox drive and the USB drive., if I choose the USB drive I get a C:\ prompt,. Am I missing something else? DId I need to add anything else to the USB?,. all help is appreciated! Smile

Download and run the Windows version of the LibreELEC USB-SD creator application, use it to create the USB media, then boot the USB. No idea why you downloaded the Linux version and then wrote it to USB like a disk image.
(2016-12-27, 05:04)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-12-27, 04:33)wtwaggoner Wrote: I am so at this point! Sad ok I have an Asus Chromebox., did the screw,. did everything step by step. But when asked the question of where to boot from,. I put in hard disk., no now when I boot up it says Booting from hard disk. So I did the USB,. I really don't know what I am really doing,. Downloaded Rufus,. downloaded the image

Download and run the Windows version of the LibreELEC USB-SD creator application, use it to create the USB media, then boot the USB. No idea why you downloaded the Linux version and then wrote it to USB like a disk image.

Thanks Matt for the reply! If you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit I would greatly appreciate it! I'm ok on the computer,. like I can follow directions,. eerr maybe not to well because I messed up my box., I did do my first asus correctly and have been running it for over a year now,. so basically I did the following and stopped.

Machine I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IT1...UTF8&psc=1

Downloaded:
https://libreelec.tv/2016/08/usb-sd-creator/

Options Selected:
Select Version - Generic x86_64
Download or select a local image file - not sure which one I need for this

Thanks for your help!
(2016-12-27, 20:41)wtwaggoner Wrote: Thanks Matt for the reply! If you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit I would greatly appreciate it! I'm ok on the computer,. like I can follow directions,. eerr maybe not to well because I messed up my box., I did do my first asus correctly and have been running it for over a year now,. so basically I did the following and stopped.

Downloaded:

Options Selected:

Thanks for your help!

select Generic x86_64, then 7.90.010 for the version.
click download
when done, select USB/SD device to be used
click write
when done, remove media
boot media on chromebox
(2016-12-27, 20:45)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-12-27, 20:41)wtwaggoner Wrote: Thanks Matt for the reply! If you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit I would greatly appreciate it! I'm ok on the computer,. like I can follow directions,. eerr maybe not to well because I messed up my box., I did do my first asus correctly and have been running it for over a year now,. so basically I did the following and stopped.

Downloaded:

Options Selected:

Thanks for your help!

click download
click write
when done, remove media
boot media on chromebox

Thank you so much., I'll try when I get home tonight., is there a link for an option by option 'do this' tutorial moving forward for dumb dumbs?
(2016-12-27, 20:57)wtwaggoner Wrote:
(2016-12-27, 20:45)Matt Devo Wrote:

Downloaded:

Options Selected:

Thanks for your help!

click download
click write
when done, remove media
boot media on chromebox

Thank you so much., I'll try when I get home tonight., is there a link for an option by option 'do this' tutorial moving forward for dumb dumbs?

Dude,. fixed in minutes,. Thank you so much!
(2016-12-28, 03:57)wtwaggoner Wrote: Dude,. fixed in minutes,. Thank you so much!

glad you got it sorted, and if there's anything in the documentation that tripped you up or could be improved just lmk so I can do that

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help - I think I bricked my ChromeBox (ASUS M004U)0