Confused about NFS - Server vs. Client
I've had NFS shares setup forever on my OS X server and they work perfectly with Windows clients. I've read about NFS in the wiki and have never set the "-N flag" on the server.

Again, Windows (3 clients) are flawless.

Today I wanted to add an OS X client. I used the exact same NFS shares, but the OS X client fails with "RPC Packet not accepted by the server", which, according to the wiki, means the -N is not set.

This makes no sense to me because the other clients work. Does the -N flag need to be set on this client? I thought Kodi used it's own NFS library outside of the OS?
The -N flag needs to be set on the server. It can work without - but as you can see it doesn't mean it has to work without -N. (it depends on the tcp port that is used on the client when connecting to the server. Those are random. Ports < 1024 will work without having -N ... others won't). Google "non-privileged ports" if you want to know more or simply follow the guide that writes that the "-N" flag is needed.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the reply and your excellent explanation. I see what's happening now.
Finally got back around to this. I set the -N flag, confirmed it is working:

ps aux | grep nfsd
root 259 0.0 0.0 2511148 3720 ?? Ss 2:34PM 0:04.66 /sbin/nfsd -N

Still errors with the OS X client. Windows clients continue to work perfectly.
On my iMac, Any video files and Audio files downloaded via the Google Chrome browser will have the incorrect permissions set when they are saved. I don't know why they just do.

If you right click on a video or audio file file and select > Get Info
Then Scroll down the bottom to Sharing & Permissions.
Look at "everyone" if it says "No access" then click on the Padlock and change to "Read Only" or "Read & Write"

Bam!
A/V files start behaving properly with Kodi again. Smile

Are you using NFS?

But, yes, I see what you're saying. If I understand NFS properly, it's UID based, so long as your UID matches the directory/file permissions for the UID, you should be golden.

On my OS X client (10.11.1) I'm UID 501 and I made sure that the share has permissions for that as well. I've also allowed all users too to no avail.

No matter which I choose, I am able to login to NFS on that OS X client from the Finder. Open and play anything with VLC. Since I've given myself full access I can copy/delete/move the files around from the client.

I'm obviously running Kodi from the same user account and I can't even play or browse the same shares. I've now tried the exact same client settings on my OS X laptop with the exact same results.

This leads me to believe the NFS with Kodi/Mac is somehow broken. I'd love to be proven otherwise!

(2015-11-01, 09:00)wrxtasy Wrote: On my iMac, Any video files and Audio files downloaded via the Google Chrome browser will have the incorrect permissions set when they are saved. I don't know why they just do.

If you right click on a video or audio file file and select > Get Info
Then Scroll down the bottom to Sharing & Permissions.
Look at "everyone" if it says "No access" then click on the Padlock and change to "Read Only" or "Read & Write"

Bam!
A/V files start behaving properly with Kodi again. Smile
Its not broken - its always that people don't understand how it works really (and then set it up wrong).

Post a debug log (wiki) for the error case...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Sure, full log posted. Have a look around line 457 for the NFS errors.

http://xbmclogs.com/p6gaamjxa

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Confused about NFS - Server vs. Client0