Fire TV Stick overheating when running KODI
ok, KODI installed and running on my 6-month old Fire TV Stick, watched several great movies sunday after skulling through and mashing three or four published articles' incomplete instructions all Saturday afternoon/evening that assumed i knew way more than i did.

So, the FTV stick initially "lost the Wifi signal" once or twice in the middle of a couple movies (truly annoying), causing KODI to have playback failure, causing me to have to unplug/reset the FTV stick a couple times, and once even had to shut down and restart my wifi unit to get everything back up and running (the why of the latter is beyond me, wife did it, and it worked). sometimes seems like rote voodoo to me.

according to the techie wife, apparently the stick does not like the 1080 HD movie signal running through KODI (explained in suitably condescending terms a retired lawyer can understand), as it gets rather VERY VERY WARM to the touch, which apparently causes the aforementioned problems. I was wondering about opening the unit and drilling the case for better cooling, or even adding a heat sink, but have no idea where or how to add one that would be effective (where is Radio Shack when you need them?!!).

anyone had similar problems, and and did you come up with a better/less potentially destructive solution?
are you using the supplied extender/dongle? If not, I suggest using this. The stick may be absorbing heat that your TV could be giving off as well. The dongle will give the stick 3-4 inches of extra breathing room.
Solutions found in this thread on the amazon fire stick support forum: Fire stick over heating?
thanks for link, led to a solution (opening case and removing sticky insulation to improve ventilation; if solution works without further issues, no need to drill vent holes)
You're welcome! I was happy to find it as I've had the stick for a long time and the solution was only recently posted. My stick kept showing the thermometer picture and rebooting in the middle of installing kodi addons. I was getting very frustrated! I found that when I jury-rigged the stick in front of a small fan, the problem went away. So I went looking for a solution to the overheating and that's what I found.

It's clearly internally generated heat so using the extension cord to move it further away from the tv doesn't help. I guess we should be happy that there is a simple solution but disappointed that we have to modify our sticks to have them work properly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV Stick overheating when running KODI0