Is 120W enough? 150W not compatible with Gigabyte Z170N Mini-ITX
I bought parts for a HTPC, but the Streacom 150W nano PSU is not copatible with the MB,
was something I got to know just today...

I built the system yesterday but it didn't start, so that's a bummer.

Now the only option for my case is a Streacom Nano 120W.

Will it suffice for my system for running Windows and Kodi only, no games etc.

So, the hardware I have that's going to be my htpc are:

Streacom FC8 Alpha case
Gigabyte Z170N mini-ITX
Intel i5 6600 Skylake 65W TDP
2x Vengance LPX DDR4
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
WD Green 3T
Streacom Flirc
1x Bluetooth Wireless Logitech keyboard.
I build my own HTPC about 6 months ago. I used 450W which i know a little bit high but working without a hitch.
Yeah, but my Case only fits the nano ones, so that's the problem.
Smile 
That is really a cool case BTW...What do you mean by not compatible?....it won't boot?...or what? The 150 watts should be enough. The power hungry devices would be the CPU and HDD....the rest should be negligible. You may try booting the board with an ATX power supply and see if it isn't the motherboard. Also call the vendor and see if they have any suggestions.
That's the thing, there's an issue with that PSU and MB. I talked to the company where I bought the stuff from and they said they noticed that they're not compatible for some reason.

I did that with my stationary computers PSU and it booted.

But 120W feels like it should be enough, since the processor and Hdd have no reason to go to 100% workload by me just watching movies, listening to music or using Windows.

Or?
have you tried pcpartpicker.com? Plug-in all your parts and it will tell you if you have any compatibility issues.
(2015-10-26, 20:17)Xemaniac Wrote: That's the thing, there's an issue with that PSU and MB. I talked to the company where I bought the stuff from and they said they noticed that they're not compatible for some reason.

I did that with my stationary computers PSU and it booted.

But 120W feels like it should be enough, since the processor and Hdd have no reason to go to 100% workload by me just watching movies, listening to music or using Windows.

Or?

Aren't their 120 watt and 150 watt Nano supplies configured the same? If the 150 watt Nano supply won't work...why would their 120 watt supply work?....I am slightly confused....Sleepy

The 120 watt supply does support Haswell Cpu's so that may be the reason. Try the 120 watt Nano supply...it should work if your power requirement isn't over 120 watts.....
That's what the company said, at their builds work with the 120W. I don't know why, but it does. I've asked Streacom, so waiting for an answer.

Yeah, the problem with knowing how much you need can be a bit confusing, since the Wattage on parts are on idle, and I don't know how much of a load kodi/windows puts on stuff...
Your issue is not the wattage, it looks to me as if your motherboard needs a 6 pin cpu power connector, and the streamcom power supply only has a 4 pin.

FYI - I run a Haswell based (54w) htpc, 2 ram sticks, ssd and twin tuner satelite card, powered by a 120w pico psu, and 12v 6a (72w) external brick. So I'd say 120w is more than enough for your system.
No, it's a 4 pin, maybe you looked at the ATX version, not the mini itx. There's an old forum thread, in Swedish, from 2012, that talks about the 150w not being compatible with an MSI MB, and they had to use another one.

I don't know why it doesn't work, it just doesn't.

Thanks for your answer about your htpc, that was what I was looking for. Gonna try the 120w then...
Hello i found your post and want to buy exacly same Components with in-win bq 656 Case and psu120w, did youvsolved issue aut 120psu, does system run stable?
It might be some help. I run a very similar setup to you in a MS-Tech MC-80 with a 120W PSU. I have not noticed any problems with it, and I have pushed it pretty hard with Dolphin and Steam.

The components are:
  • Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
  • Intel Core i3 6100T 35W TDP
  • Kingston Hyper X-Fury Black 4GB x2
  • Seagate 500GB 5400RPM external HDD
  • Sony Optiarc AD-7800H DVD-ROM

I’m running on a very minimal Linux installation, so not a lot of overhead there, though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is 120W enough? 150W not compatible with Gigabyte Z170N Mini-ITX0