Kodi noob, first build
Buy a high capacity NAS, rip all the BluRays to that in iso format and then run the iso's into Kodi.
Far easier than the path being taken at the moment.

Just posting this here for reference, I have not read past page 2 yet. This may take awhile.....

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=67420
(2015-11-02, 05:31)wrxtasy Wrote: Buy a high capacity NAS, rip all the BluRays to that in iso format and then run the iso's into Kodi.
Far easier than the path being taken at the moment.

It definitely seems like it. After reading that thread linked above, I may move to this as my next plan of attack.
(2015-10-29, 21:49)Grewe02 Wrote:
(2015-10-29, 05:54)katsup Wrote: You may not want an additional device under the TV, but getting a cheap BluRay player could be an option.

There are instructions for getting BluRay running in Kodi on this forum and the Wiki. I got it working under Linux awhile back, but after they changed the BluRay encryption, I stopped playing with it.

It is an option, but I would like to avoid it. I am willing to pay a little extra and work a little harder if it means I can have only one box under my TV instead of 2 or 3 or 4.

Somehow or another, I had not found the wiki until today. I'll spend a few days reading through it, thanks!

A standalone blu ray player is the best option. I've been down this road for a few years and just recently switched. Previously, I made a decent htpc machine, 8 gb of ram, a quad core processor, good video card, couple terabyte drives for movies, internal blu ray player, external IR receiver, all the bells and whistles, plus a copy of windows and power dvd which you should upgrade every couple years at least. It can get expensive and can be a maintenance headache.

It was a pain. I'd watch a movie on xbmc/kodi one day and then my wife would want to watch a blu ray with power dvd the next day. She'd fire up the tv and receiver and get an HDMI display error coming from the HTPC. It involved restarting the htpc to reinitialize the connection and almost always a phone call to me at work wondering what happened. Then there are the weekly windows updates that may or may not break kodi along with the power dvd updates, java updates, everything that windows and the viewing software needs which can get to be quite often.

Recently I went with an Intel NUC with ubuntu (free) and kodi and it works wonderfully. Uses 4 to 8 watts of power vs 200+. There's no extra video card, its all integrated and all very quiet. I also have plex running so i can stream to other devices in the house. I have a standalone blu ray player ($30.00) that works great and never has handshake issues. The NUC sits on top of the blu ray player and the blu ray player sits on a shelf under the receiver. The few 3d blu rays I've ripped play great in Kodi now natively and there's no need for a separate software bluray solution. Being Linux, updates aren't as frequent. There's no need for a virus scanner. No regular video card drivers to have to deal with either.

Simple, easy, effective
(2015-11-05, 21:23)slag Wrote: A standalone blu ray player is the best option. I've been down this road for a few years and just recently switched. Previously, I made a decent htpc machine, 8 gb of ram, a quad core processor, good video card, couple terabyte drives for movies, internal blu ray player, external IR receiver, all the bells and whistles, plus a copy of windows and power dvd which you should upgrade every couple years at least. It can get expensive and can be a maintenance headache.

It was a pain. I'd watch a movie on xbmc/kodi one day and then my wife would want to watch a blu ray with power dvd the next day. She'd fire up the tv and receiver and get an HDMI display error coming from the HTPC. It involved restarting the htpc to reinitialize the connection and almost always a phone call to me at work wondering what happened. Then there are the weekly windows updates that may or may not break kodi along with the power dvd updates, java updates, everything that windows and the viewing software needs which can get to be quite often.

Recently I went with an Intel NUC with ubuntu (free) and kodi and it works wonderfully. Uses 4 to 8 watts of power vs 200+. There's no extra video card, its all integrated and all very quiet. I also have plex running so i can stream to other devices in the house. I have a standalone blu ray player ($30.00) that works great and never has handshake issues. The NUC sits on top of the blu ray player and the blu ray player sits on a shelf under the receiver. The few 3d blu rays I've ripped play great in Kodi now natively and there's no need for a separate software bluray solution. Being Linux, updates aren't as frequent. There's no need for a virus scanner. No regular video card drivers to have to deal with either.

Simple, easy, effective

It seems everyone has the same experience as you, that I've read. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

So I think my next endeavour will be ripping blu-rays using an HTPC, and using Kodi to play them back on the same machine. I have done a little searching on that already and I believe I can make 1TB work just fine for my storage needs. I may make a new thread for that, since it is a bit different than my original approach. Of course after doing a few searches. Any experience with this scenario?
I bought this for myself:

Case: http://geizhals.de/ms-tech-ci-70-a725798.html 64 Euro
Board: http://geizhals.de/asrock-n3150b-itx-90-...73703.html Celeron N3150 73 Euro
Memory: http://geizhals.de/crucial-so-dimm-kit-4...34107.html Crucial 2 x 2 GB DDR3 SO-Dimm 1.35 V 30 Euro
Remote: http://geizhals.de/hama-remote-control-f...24231.html Remote, I only use the red thingy and program my harmony: 16 Euro
Solid-State-Drive: http://geizhals.de/corsair-force-ls-60gb...93740.html Corsair 64 gb: 35 Euro
USB Tuner: Edision Optimuss DVB-C/T/T2 USB Tuner Combo Stick via amazon: 30 Euro

This is a what I call "200 build": Now in sum (including ssd and memory): 248 Euro. Most people already have the SSD, others don't need the USB Tuner, again others already have the memory (take care it is 1.35V). The SSD i screwed into the case without the cases cover and located it behind the passive cpu cooling element, with the hdd case it would be "over the" fan and this sucks.

In comparison:
Beebox (3150) including remote + memory + tvtuner:
160 + 30 + 30 = 220 Euros.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
any one free to correct if I'm wrong but if using windows in not problem and paying a bit extra isn't either. isn't as simple buying Any DVD HD or or equivalent program that strips copy protection in real time and it should just work at least used to. I don't how how user friendly it is menus don't always work and probably wont auto play you may need try few files to find main movie but once you've work it out it should quite easy.

better menu support is been work on here there's even windows test build

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213352

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi noob, first build0