Mod AppTV-FX
[MOD] AppTV-FX

watch gallery

Hi there wyrm and kodi community,

I recently started modding the fantastic AppTV skin for personal use, but after some consideration i thought it would be nice to share it! My mod is called AppTV-FX and consists of a lot of cosmetic changes to the skin, as well as some minor tweaks here and there... I am not much of a coder but did manage to tweak the skin to my liking...

I decided to use the icon home menu and this skin mainly revolves around that concept, the icons are colorflow icons which can be found on deviantart (some made by me also), and it is recommended you only use colorflow styled icons on the homescreen when using custom favorites. I chose the colorflow icons because you have tons and tons of TV show/Movie colorflow icons online, thus making it easy to place custom favs on the homescreen for easy access.

Good resource for colorflow icons of TV shows/Movies etc:

http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/?se...w+tv+shows

The main changes are cosmetic so the skin is ready for usage... Although i want to tweak and change some more stuff in the near future.

DOWNLOAD: [updated version 31-10-2015]

http://1drv.ms/1Ot2BOt

6-11-2015 changelog:

- Adjusted star ratings resolutions (also for music) so they no longer stretch out.
- Adjusted movie/tv show poster sizes
- Minor graphical tweaks

- Changed spinning icon (busy.png)

Youtube and Radio icons are located, inside the extras/homeicons folder of the skin´s directory

Cheers and God bless!Wink

Watts
(2015-10-28, 02:12)Watts Wrote: [MOD] AppTV-FX

watch gallery

I recently started modding the fantastic AppTV skin for personal use, but after some consideration i thought it would be nice to share it! My mod is called AppTV-FX and consists of a lot of cosmetic changes to the skin, as well as some minor tweaks here and there... I am not much of a coder but did manage to tweak the skin to my liking...

I decided to use the icon home menu and this skin mainly revolves around that concept, the icons are colorflow icons which can be found on deviantart (some made by me also), and it is recommended you only use colorflow styled icons on the homescreen when using custom favorites. I chose the colorflow icons because you have tons and tons of TV show/Movie colorflow icons online, thus making it easy to place custom favs on the homescreen for easy access.

The main changes are cosmetic so the skin is ready for usage... Although i want to tweak and change some more stuff in the near future.

NOTE: WILL POST THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD AS SOON AS WYRM GIVES THE OK...
Watts, you have my blessing on this (not that you need it due to the licence I chose to release my skin under). Go read the licence text in the skins root directory for what you can and can't do with the skin.
Quote:Question for wyrm:

How can i make to the skin install next to the regular version, without kodi recognizing it as the standard version of the skin?
Huh
Edit the addon.xml file in the skins root directory and change the id line with the name of your mod. Then rename the root directory to match the id of the skin will make sure that you don't over write my skin (or more to the point I don't over write yours when I release the new version of my skin in a week or so).

If your main changes are just to the skins graphics you might find releasing your changes as a theme might be easier to handle on your part. In that case you would need to use texturepacker to package your image files up into a .xbt file and then just release that. You would need to call your .xbt file something other than textures.xbt again so you don't overwrite my file. The user would then need to create a themes sub directory in the skins root directory and copy your file there. After that they would head into Kodi's Appearance settings menu and select the new theme there.

Details on this and other skin information can be found in the Kodi wiki under "skinning manual"

Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
(2015-10-28, 07:09)wyrm Wrote:
(2015-10-28, 02:12)Watts Wrote: [MOD] AppTV-FX

watch gallery

NOTE: WILL POST THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD AS SOON AS WYRM GIVES THE OK...
Watts, you have my blessing on this (not that you need it due to the licence I chose to release my skin under). Go read the licence text in the skins root directory for what you can and can't do with the skin.
Quote:Question for wyrm:

How can i make to the skin install next to the regular version, without kodi recognizing it as the standard version of the skin?
Huh
Edit the addon.xml file in the skins root directory and change the id line with the name of your mod. Then rename the root directory to match the id of the skin will make sure that you don't over write my skin (or more to the point I don't over write yours when I release the new version of my skin in a week or so).

If your main changes are just to the skins graphics you might find releasing your changes as a theme might be easier to handle on your part. In that case you would need to use texturepacker to package your image files up into a .xbt file and then just release that. You would need to call your .xbt file something other than textures.xbt again so you don't overwrite my file. The user would then need to create a themes sub directory in the skins root directory and copy your file there. After that they would head into Kodi's Appearance settings menu and select the new theme there.

Details on this and other skin information can be found in the Kodi wiki under "skinning manual"

Wyrm (AppTV)

Thank you Wyrm!

I decided not to go with the theme route because i have edited some code here and there, which would result in some textures not showing up where i wanted them... I hope the new version of your skin does not differ too much from this version, so i can update the mod easily in the near future if people are even remotely interested...LOL...

Skin is installable next to your version...

I do have some small things i would like to fix/alter and i hope i can ask you for some advice.... I have searched and searched trough the code to find solutions, but cannot seem to figure out some issues so hope you won´t mind me asking you some questions...Big Grin

Hope you take a look at the mod as well and would love to hear your thoughts on it...

Cheers!!!

Watts.
(2015-10-29, 03:19)Watts Wrote: Thank you Wyrm!

I decided not to go with the theme route because i have edited some code here and there, which would result in some textures not showing up where i wanted them... I hope the new version of your skin does not differ too much from this version, so i can update the mod easily in the near future if people are even remotely interested...LOL...

I do have some small things i would like to fix/alter and i hope i can ask you for some advice.... I have searched and searched trough the code to find solutions, but cannot seem to figure out some issues so hope you won´t mind me asking you some questions...Big Grin

Hope you take a look at the mod as well and would love to hear your thoughts on it...

Cheers!!!

Watts.
Watts,

Unfortunately yes there are quite a few changes (especially to the home menu code). I have made extensive changes to the Weather screens and I have also moved from the library.data.provider script to the skin.helper script as this allows me to reduce the number of scripts required to make the skin shine and some of the script supplied widgets are nicer and more in keeping with I wanted to do with the skin. Also have updated the fonts, default font is now a lighter version of the Ubuntu font, which helps a little to give the skin a lighter more modern look. I was kind of hoping to include a lighter coloured theme with the skin, but that will probably not happen now until the Jarvis version of the skin is released. That and as always I have fixed a number of silly bugs. At this stage I am waiting on the helper script making its way into the main repo before I release the new version, so it might be tomorrow, or next week or even next month.

Just a quick look thru your changes suggests to me that I can do a few things to make it easier to mod some of the backgrounds, so I will have to add those changes as well. As to advice, shoot. Will do my best to offer any help, just be aware I try really hard to offer general solutions to problems within the skin as that is the way I try to code. I don't much see the point of providing a solution that only one user might make use of when with a tiny bit more effort I can provide a solution that everyone can use.

I will go off and make a few changes to some (but not all) of the background code to allow you release this as a theme. I might suggest you go take a look at the files in the skins "colors" directory, as this is another way you can easily change the look of the skin. All you need to do is change the AARRGGBB values of the listed colour names to change the colour of any skin element that I have defined with that colour name.

Hope this helps
Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

(2015-10-29, 06:25)wyrm Wrote:
(2015-10-29, 03:19)Watts Wrote: Thank you Wyrm!

Cheers!!!

Watts.
Watts,

Unfortunately yes there are quite a few changes (especially to the home menu code). I have made extensive changes to the Weather screens and I have also moved from the library.data.provider script to the skin.helper script as this allows me to reduce the number of scripts required to make the skin shine and some of the script supplied widgets are nicer and more in keeping with I wanted to do with the skin. Also have updated the fonts, default font is now a lighter version of the Ubuntu font, which helps a little to give the skin a lighter more modern look. I was kind of hoping to include a lighter coloured theme with the skin, but that will probably not happen now until the Jarvis version of the skin is released. That and as always I have fixed a number of silly bugs. At this stage I am waiting on the helper script making its way into the main repo before I release the new version, so it might be tomorrow, or next week or even next month.

Just a quick look thru your changes suggests to me that I can do a few things to make it easier to mod some of the backgrounds, so I will have to add those changes as well. As to advice, shoot. Will do my best to offer any help, just be aware I try really hard to offer general solutions to problems within the skin as that is the way I try to code. I don't much see the point of providing a solution that only one user might make use of when with a tiny bit more effort I can provide a solution that everyone can use.

I will go off and make a few changes to some (but not all) of the background code to allow you release this as a theme. I might suggest you go take a look at the files in the skins "colors" directory, as this is another way you can easily change the look of the skin. All you need to do is change the AARRGGBB values of the listed colour names to change the colour of any skin element that I have defined with that colour name.

Hope this helps
Wyrm (AppTV)

Hi there Wyrm!

That is very awesome news indeed!!! I would love to make this into a theme!!! Laugh

About those questions i have for you.... There´s a couple of things i cannot seem to figure out, and trust me i have tried to figure them out as best as i can...

#1 I have replaced the star ratings (both the normal as well as the centred ones)... But they are slightly stretched in normal Listview and fully stretched wrap, coverflow and movie information views... (see the gallery below)

Yet the size is normal when for instance rating a song in library mode... I have gone through the code to find the sizing of the stars, so i can change the resolution yet i cannot seem to find it, is there any way to change the resolution to make them not stretch out?

#2 I would like to increase the size of the movie posters in Listview, yet i have gone through the forums and of course through the code, to find a way to change the res... But i cannot seem to find out how to do it. Could you give me some pointers on how to make it work? I have changed some code as a test, but nothing seems to be changing for me when i do...

#3 As you can see in my files i have changed all the regular and focus osd buttons, yet in the Player OSD dialog menu the repeat button will not show the changes i made, (as seen below in the gallery) It just remains white when hovering and selecting. But the normal OSD menu works perfectly both Video/Music OSD´s...

watch gallery

Well those were my questions... I hope you can provide me with some pointers on how to tackle the questions/problems i have.

Thanks again for taking the time to check out the mod, and of course for taking the time to answer my questions!

Cheers!

WattsBig Grin
(2015-10-30, 00:40)Watts Wrote: Hi there Wyrm!

That is very awesome news indeed!!! I would love to make this into a theme!!! Laugh

About those questions i have for you.... There´s a couple of things i cannot seem to figure out, and trust me i have tried to figure them out as best as i can...

#1 I have replaced the star ratings (both the normal as well as the centred ones)... But they are slightly stretched in normal Listview and fully stretched wrap, coverflow and movie information views... (see the gallery below)

Yet the size is normal when for instance rating a song in library mode... I have gone through the code to find the sizing of the stars, so i can change the resolution yet i cannot seem to find it, is there any way to change the resolution to make them not stretch out?
Ok, couple of things on this one. First of all there were a few inconsistencies with the various bit of code around the skin (now been fixed) and the aspect ratio was handled a bit differently between the various usages of these images (now also fixed). Second, always best to look at the graphics files and not the code for image sizing. In this case the original images were 256 x 32, so an aspect ratio of 8:1. With my new code changes the size of the images should not matter as much, but in order to keep the sizing about right you should try to keep your images about the same aspect ratio. So 200 x 25 is good, 200 x 38 would not be (would be scaled down to fit within a 8:1 area on screen)
Quote:#2 I would like to increase the size of the movie posters in Listview, yet i have gone through the forums and of course through the code, to find a way to change the res... But i cannot seem to find out how to do it. Could you give me some pointers on how to make it work? I have changed some code as a test, but nothing seems to be changing for me when i do...
No real easy answer to this as the size I have allowed for the Posters is kind of fixed to allow enough room for other screen elements that you might not see at the time. Another reason for the size of the poster images is that I have different sized images in this area depending on the type of content you are showing, so a movie poster takes up the full high, but not the full width of that area (episodes on the other hand take the full width, but not the full height). And finally we get back to the aspect ratio problem again, change the width of the image will either make the poster too tall or we will mess up the aspect ratio. This is a re-occurring question about sizing of screen images and has generally been worked over by me over the years to fine tune as best I can. If you would like to play, you will need to change the code after the button focus section (around about line 385 in the View-Video.xml file). The code for Movie posters is after the Container.Content(movie) visible condition and you will need to change the width and height tags.
Quote:#3 As you can see in my files i have changed all the regular and focus osd buttons, yet in the Player OSD dialog menu the repeat button will not show the changes i made, (as seen below in the gallery) It just remains white when hovering and selecting. But the normal OSD menu works perfectly both Video/Music OSD´s...

watch gallery

Well those were my questions... I hope you can provide me with some pointers on how to tackle the questions/problems i have.

Thanks again for taking the time to check out the mod, and of course for taking the time to answer my questions!

Cheers!

WattsBig Grin
I will check my code to make sure there is no problem here and get back to you with a suggestion

Wyrm (AppTV)

(2015-10-30, 18:24)wyrm Wrote:
(2015-10-30, 00:40)Watts Wrote: Hi there Wyrm!

Ok, couple of things on this one. First of all there were a few inconsistencies with the various bit of code around the skin (now been fixed) and the aspect ratio was handled a bit differently between the various usages of these images (now also fixed). Second, always best to look at the graphics files and not the code for image sizing. In this case the original images were 256 x 32, so an aspect ratio of 8:1. With my new code changes the size of the images should not matter as much, but in order to keep the sizing about right you should try to keep your images about the same aspect ratio. So 200 x 25 is good, 200 x 38 would not be (would be scaled down to fit within a 8:1 area on screen)
Quote:#2 I would like to increase the size of the movie posters in Listview, yet i have gone through the forums and of course through the code, to find a way to change the res... But i cannot seem to find out how to do it. Could you give me some pointers on how to make it work? I have changed some code as a test, but nothing seems to be changing for me when i do...
No real easy answer to this as the size I have allowed for the Posters is kind of fixed to allow enough room for other screen elements that you might not see at the time. Another reason for the size of the poster images is that I have different sized images in this area depending on the type of content you are showing, so a movie poster takes up the full high, but not the full width of that area (episodes on the other hand take the full width, but not the full height). And finally we get back to the aspect ratio problem again, change the width of the image will either make the poster too tall or we will mess up the aspect ratio. This is a re-occurring question about sizing of screen images and has generally been worked over by me over the years to fine tune as best I can. If you would like to play, you will need to change the code after the button focus section (around about line 385 in the View-Video.xml file). The code for Movie posters is after the Container.Content(movie) visible condition and you will need to change the width and height tags.
Quote:#3 As you can see in my files i have changed all the regular and focus osd buttons, yet in the Player OSD dialog menu the repeat button will not show the changes i made, (as seen below in the gallery) It just remains white when hovering and selecting. But the normal OSD menu works perfectly both Video/Music OSD´s...

watch gallery

Cheers!

WattsBig Grin
I will check my code to make sure there is no problem here and get back to you with a suggestion

Wyrm (AppTV)

Thank you so much for answering my questions Wyrm!!!

I have actually managed to increase the size of the posters to my liking and will test it out some more, and am looking forward to the new and updated version of your skin!

Updated the thread too... I could not figure out how to adjust the res on the rating stars, but i overlooked the fact that note++ does not show the entire line of code when searching lol!!! So figured out the location of the star resolutions and adjusted it...

You have been incredibly helpful to me, so thanks again for answering my questions and helping me out!

Cheers!!!Nod

Watts
(2015-10-30, 00:40)Watts Wrote: #3 As you can see in my files i have changed all the regular and focus osd buttons, yet in the Player OSD dialog menu the repeat button will not show the changes i made, (as seen below in the gallery) It just remains white when hovering and selecting. But the normal OSD menu works perfectly both Video/Music OSD´s...
And just fixed #3. Issue now fixed on Github, BUT I have included changes required for skin.helper script support and that has not quite cleared the approvals process for inclusion to main Kodi repo. Result is until skin.helper script makes the main repo, skin will not install as it is missing a dependency. Should not be too long, then I can make a pull request of my own to update skin in the repo.

Also have included a number of new images used to build up the home menu screens, so you will only need to change these files to change the look of the home screens. My files are very small as they are just a single colour, but you can use your full sized images (renamed to match my naming scheme) and they should just display correctly. So you will not need any code changes on the home screen hopefully.

Wyrm

NB/ Typical, pushed post on this message, went into Kodi to check something and guess what I found? Skin.helper script has just made the main repo, so just ignore the comment on skin may be broken due to missing dependency's. A couple of last minute checks on the skin and I will make my own pull request. Stay tuned!

(2015-11-03, 05:43)wyrm Wrote:
(2015-10-30, 00:40)Watts Wrote: #3 As you can see in my files i have changed all the regular and focus osd buttons, yet in the Player OSD dialog menu the repeat button will not show the changes i made, (as seen below in the gallery) It just remains white when hovering and selecting. But the normal OSD menu works perfectly both Video/Music OSD´s...
And just fixed #3. Issue now fixed on Github, BUT I have included changes required for skin.helper script support and that has not quite cleared the approvals process for inclusion to main Kodi repo. Result is until skin.helper script makes the main repo, skin will not install as it is missing a dependency. Should not be too long, then I can make a pull request of my own to update skin in the repo.

Also have included a number of new images used to build up the home menu screens, so you will only need to change these files to change the look of the home screens. My files are very small as they are just a single colour, but you can use your full sized images (renamed to match my naming scheme) and they should just display correctly. So you will not need any code changes on the home screen hopefully.

Wyrm

NB/ Typical, pushed post on this message, went into Kodi to check something and guess what I found? Skin.helper script has just made the main repo, so just ignore the comment on skin may be broken due to missing dependency's. A couple of last minute checks on the skin and I will make my own pull request. Stay tuned!

Very cool to hear!!! Sorry for my late response but i have been busy as heck...

Updated the thread again... Replaced the spinning (busy.png)... Made rating stars larger and adjusted some more things...

Noticed that the DefaultVideo and DefaultMovies, are not used separately in the Horizontal view can´t seem to change it...

BTW how did you manage to fix the osd button bug?

Thanks for keeping me up to date! Will keep an eye out for further development! Laugh

Cheers,

Watts
(2015-11-06, 02:00)Watts Wrote: Very cool to hear!!! Sorry for my late response but i have been busy as heck...

Updated the thread again... Replaced the spinning (busy.png)... Made rating stars larger and adjusted some more things...

Noticed that the DefaultVideo and DefaultMovies, are not used separately in the Horizontal view can´t seem to change it...

BTW how did you manage to fix the osd button bug?

Thanks for keeping me up to date! Will keep an eye out for further development! Laugh

Cheers,

Watts
Watts,

sorry about late reply, I managed to break myself and could not spend much time in front of the computer before my knee drove me away. I think I'm good now. As you have seen those two graphics are currently Exactly the same, so I have used either name interchangeably (my bad), have fix this in horizontal home menu and where it made sense to do so in the video views code.

As to the OSD button issue, basically I changed the id of the button in the playercontrol.xml during a code cleanup without thinking that I had made use of the id in a $VAR that I used to display the correct image. Basically I changed the id back to the old value so that it matched the code for the other OSD screens.

I have been burying a few body's I have found thru my code, just waiting for the concrete to set. Will run a series of last minute checks and then make a pull request of the main repo guardians. Hopefully I won't find any more major issues like the ones in the weather code, so new version should hit the Kodi repo in a day or so.

Wyrm

I really love the look of this home screen, I downloaded your files and changed the YouTube and my custom favourites icons, but they are stretched, and I can't figure out how to change the main icons like settings.....is there a way for a newbie to copy this home page?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppTV-FX0