|Thinking of moving to a Raspberry Pi from PC - noob questions
(2015-10-29, 23:23)Eserim Wrote: So, now I have learnt that PCM channels doesn't equal speakers, any thoughts on the Pi Solution? If I get a Pi would it send 5.1 PCM via the optical link?

The SPDIF standard used for optical and Coax connections only supports PCM 2.0 or DD/DTS bitstreamed audio. You can't send 5.1 PCM over a standard optical connection.

To carry 5.1 audio over an optical connection this will need to be in a compressed DD or DTS format. Kodi offers the option of transcoding non-DD/DTS content to DD to allow 5.1 audio not in DD/DTS format to be output in DD 5.1 (so AAC 5.1, FLAC 5.1, PCM 5.1 etc. content will be output as DD 5.1). Because Kodi is re-encoding the audio, the volume can be altered.

(When you are just doing a straight passthrough and playing a DD or DTS track you can't alter the audio volume within Kodi - as you don't have access to the decoded audio, you need to decode the audio to do this. Though if you are using HDMI - which you aren't - and are feeding an AVR with CEC - which you aren't - Kodi can remotely control the Amps volume via CEC when playing bitstreamed audio)
(2015-10-29, 23:23)Eserim Wrote: Alas, spoke too soon, more testing and AC3 files still get sent through on Passthrough - the Amp shows them as Dolby Digital as opposed to PCM (which it shows when I switch pass through off)

You want the AMP to show Dolby Digital (aka AC3). That is the only possible way to get multichannel audio through toslink.
However it is not the exact same AC3 audio that was in the file. It gets decoded to PCM possibly volume adjusted and then re-encoded back to AC3 and passed back to amplifier (because you have the "transcoding" option enabled).
Many thanks - so, I think I will stay with the HTPC for now and save my pennies for some sort of Receiver - but a slimline one as that's all there is space for - Oh, and an Active sub - as my current one is just passive. Then, maybe look at the Pi again.

In the mean time I may re-copy films I know are going to be trouble using the DRC setting in Handbrake even higher than I have before.

Cheers
(2015-10-30, 14:36)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-10-29, 23:23)Eserim Wrote: Alas, spoke too soon, more testing and AC3 files still get sent through on Passthrough - the Amp shows them as Dolby Digital as opposed to PCM (which it shows when I switch pass through off)

You want the AMP to show Dolby Digital (aka AC3). That is the only possible way to get multichannel audio through toslink.
However it is not the exact same AC3 audio that was in the file. It gets decoded to PCM possibly volume adjusted and then re-encoded back to AC3 and passed back to amplifier (because you have the "transcoding" option enabled).

OK - I think I follow* - the behaviour of the Volume Amplification slider is very strange - sometimes I can move it by one notch when on passthrough, once I had fullcontrol over it (when I posted the original Yay! post) and sometimes none at all. Presumably these setting get written to a file somewhere - maybe a direct edit of that will help?

*PassThrough in this case isn't exactly what is happening, the original sound is taken, monkeyed around with, then re-assembled n the same container as it was in, but now different and that is "Passed Through"
(2015-10-28, 20:38)popcornmix Wrote: You might want to try (on existing PC):

Number of channels 2.0
Enable Passthrough
Dolby Digital AC3 capable receiver
Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding

which might do what you want. In theory it decodes the audio (including applying amplification) and then re-encodes to AC3 which will be supported by your splitter/DVD player.

The only question mark is whether files that are already AC3 will avoid the decode/amplification/encode stages. But try that first.

Thanks, I was looking for this for a long time!

Few questions (I don't have Kodi installed right now):

- Are these settings permanent or you have to change them every time?
- Does it work with Kodi v15.2 / v16.0?
- Does it finally work with original AC3 files?
(2015-11-18, 09:28)minisergium Wrote: Thanks, I was looking for this for a long time!

Few questions (I don't have Kodi installed right now):

- Are these settings permanent or you have to change them every time?
- Does it work with Kodi v15.2 / v16.0?
- Does it finally work with original AC3 files?

Yes, settings are permanent.
Settings are supported on v15 and v16
I think v15 always passes AC3 directly and doesn't allow volume/amplification to be used. I think v16 always transcodes AC3 so does allow volume/amplification.
(2015-11-18, 14:29)popcornmix Wrote: Yes, settings are permanent.
Settings are supported on v15 and v16
I think v15 always passes AC3 directly and doesn't allow volume/amplification to be used. I think v16 always transcodes AC3 so does allow volume/amplification.

Thanks!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
|Thinking of moving to a Raspberry Pi from PC - noob questions0