WIP Progress or Info of Kodi on the New Apple TV
Hello fellow Kodi fans. I am posting this threat in hopes to find any new information anyone can obtain on the Kodi app being ported over to the new Apple TV 4th Gen (2015).

From what I know is that Apple now let's you load a developers app (like Kodi) on to your iOS devices without Developers Fee using Xcode 7 for Mac, not sure if this can also be done on the new Apple TV.

I have my pre ordered Apple TV currently on its way and will try as soon as I get my hands on it along with a USB C cord to connect to my Mac.

If anyone is working on porting Kodi over to the new Apple TV or know some information on the topic please share I'm pretty sure lots of us fans would like to get Kodi on our shiny new Apple TV.

Thanks guys, Dan.
no new info right now.
(2015-11-02, 06:49)MrMC Wrote: no new info right now.

Thanks MrMC, really hoping for some good news soon.
Consider the following facts suggest that there is a lot of work to be done before Kodi would be able to run on that box.

1. TVOS is different to iOS in some parts
2. The ATV4 remote is completely different then the currently supported touch input - the input layer needs to be rewritten to fit tvos
3. AppleTV4 only runs 64bit apps. So first thing would be to port Kodi and all its depends (alot of libraries) to be compiled as 64bit arm (@MrMC fyi - linusyang did that a long time ago already - sry i forgot to tell ya Sad https://github.com/linusyang/xbmc/commit...able-arm64 )
4. Apple deprecated the VideoToolbox API in TvOS. This means for video hardware decoding there needs to be a different approach (mostly with some higher level API - higher level is bad for Kodi normally which needs to control as much as it can when it comes to decoding)
5. No Jailbreak yet - no deployment without compiling it in Xcode7
6. everything that comes up between 1. and 5.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
VideoToolbox API in TvOS does work on real hw using the dyload concept.

Forgot about linusyang's work, on the list to review and compare.
anticipation is building with these baby steps Smile so only steps 1 and 2 are applicable ?
and 5 and 6 ... - especially 6 will be the time eater ... Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
don't forget 3b - embed-bitcode for tvos

Xcode will refuse to build for TVOS with embed-bitcode disabled.
linusyang's patches are sane. I have most of his already in place. Funny how great minds think alike Smile

He's missed a few corner cases, fontconfig in particular. Nasty crash and burn there that took a few days to figure out and fix.
(2015-11-02, 20:20)MrMC Wrote: linusyang's patches are sane. I have most of his already in place. Funny how great minds think alike Smile

He's missed a few corner cases, fontconfig in particular. Nasty crash and burn there that took a few days to figure out and fix.

Any news on being able to side load Kodi with Xcode? Thanks MrMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Progress or Info of Kodi on the New Apple TV1