I give up!
I'm so sorry to post this but more out of frustration than anything. Kodi could be such an amazing one stop solution to everything I ever wanted (!) especially now it is on the Pi.
BUT - SO MANY headaches. It seems to me the "basic" system is solid as a rock and runs just great, but trying to get (and keep) the tv side of things running has worn me down finally. After years of using xbmc/kodi (and countless re installs and fixes) I have finally given up and bought a "proper" box - for tv at least (Humax DTR T1000). No more headaches trying to get the tv working / working reliably. No more hassle with add ons / broken add ons for the various tv players.
Guys - seems like there is always a new version of Kodi being released but never anything gets fixed. I couldn't use the pvr even when I did have the tv working. Why? Because the hard drives wouldn't spin down and I didn't want to leave them roaring away for day/s on end. I had to switch off the pi everytime I finished using Kodi - and on switch on always takes several attempts to get the r/c working again!

I love Kodi and all the great features, and the great work that has been done but for me now this will just be for playback of tv shows... until I find another solution.

I hope to come back one day if/when Kodi gets serious about tv.
But the PVR system does work reliably? I use it with both my DVB-S and DVB-T and haven't had no issues at all.

What part of your PVR isn't working reliably for live TV?
It sounds like whatever backend being used is an issue. Not sure what could otherwise cause constant thrashing.

With that said, I'm an American and gave up on our pvr backend system long ago, so my input is pretty useless. Smile
HDD spin down is task of the underlying OS and not Kodi itself. Which OS did you run on your PI? OpenElec? OE unfortunately doesn't spin down discs out of the box, which means you have to install an add-on/service that does that for you. I did so on my WETEK box that's also running OE+tvheadend as backend and spindown works just fine using the add-on from their repo (HDD-idle or alike). But I agree that at least in this regard OE needs some love to be more userfriendly out of the box.

You also can't expect miracles from a PI. Personally I run my PVR backend on the WETEK box and stream it from there to any Kodi instance, also a PI and all is working just fine and picture is good.
(2015-11-03, 12:24)JohnyLondon Wrote: Guys - seems like there is always a new version of Kodi being released but never anything gets fixed.

Please don't generalise. I started coding on xbmc/kodi because of pvr. Actually I fixed much more things than I spent time on new features. Now I take care for the bits from VDR/vnsi all the way down to display and speakers. Point me to a defect in this chain and I am happy to fix it.

Please note that not all platforms provide the same features and robustness. Most users decide for a platform first, then for their desired use case. That is wrong. Make up your mind what is most important to you, then choose the platform best suited for this use case.

EDIT: platform in this context includes pvr backend
(2015-11-03, 19:49)da-anda Wrote: Which OS did you run on your PI? OpenElec? OE unfortunately doesn't spin down discs out of the box, which means you have to install an add-on/service that does that for you. I did so on my WETEK box that's also running OE+tvheadend as backend and spindown works just fine using the add-on from their repo (HDD-idle or alike). But I agree that at least in this regard OE needs some love to be more userfriendly out of the box.
+1

You should make a official request to all popular embdded OS:es that uses Kodi as their primary frontend interface, such as OpenELEC, OSMC, GeeXboX, and EmbER, that they should all just spin-down harddrrives by default and have a setting for it. Not sure however how that would be effected when you run a PVR backend like Tvheadend or VDR on the same device as the Kodi frontend, maybe the PVR backends too need a spin-down option and have to be set to ON by default?

My point is, that from an end-user expirence point of view it would also be nice to have a option in setting in Kodi to spin-down the harddrives via underlying OS services if available, and if the default was to spin-down the harddrives as well as DVD-ROM and Blu-ray Disc ROM drive after they been idling for 15-minutes or so.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I give up!0