SAT feed on HDMI into Kodi
So I am running a home net with multiple AFTVs all running Kodi 15.2 for android.

I store my media files on a NAS and use a MYSQL database to sync them all.

A bit of tweaking and it works well enough.. However I have never tried to get my local TV feeds into Kodi. I did use a IPTV package but that doesnt solve my personal setup needs, eg they didnt have the Thai channels my Thai wife wants and I barely watch live Tv. I need to get my own HDMI source signal into my home net, not replace it with an online service.

I am now moving house and the final piece of the puzzle would be to have my Sat feed into Kodi distributed from one sat box HDMI output, to the rest of the home.

What are my options ??

I guess I could buy a Slingbox 500 and then run android apps inside Kodi.. I hear that the command process from the android box, back over the net, outputting IR, to channel change.. Is pretty awful for real world ease of use ?? Its also kind of expensive (double its price to buy it stateside, ship here here, pay the import costs) etc.

Is there any other HDMI (passthrough) encoding box ??
Try reading PVR (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have.. But I think thats missing the crucial point that my source is encrypted sat feed with a HDMI output.

Meaning I cant use a DVB card, a cablecard, a QAM card or anything like that..

Can you get HDMI input TV grab cards ?? Even then probably reluctant to build another HTPC (happy to be shot of them TBH with android boxes) simply for this one feature.
Blackmagic do hdmi encoder cards, but whether there are any backend pvr software that support them I don't know.

Does the sat box do component video out?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
OK seems the Hauppauge HDPVR2 has HDMI in..

will dig on that one..
(2015-11-04, 14:04)nickr Wrote: Does the sat box do component video out?

Nope..

Composite low def or HDMI only 2 output options..
Ok cos I was going to suggest a hdpvr, which I know works with mythtv backend. Not sure what backends the 2 works with (if any).
Says NextPVR supports HDPVR2..

However its output is a USB so I am doubting I am going to do this without going back to HTPCs (for the backend PC) instaed of my handy dandy android box network..

Meh.. I really dont want another HTPC in the living room (been doing them since the mid 90s) and my satelitte source is a single box package so its not like I can bury the server in the closet and still keep it at the main living room Tv.
Why not route your sat antenna lead to the cupboard, along with the backend pc.

And yes, nextpvr runs on windows not android.
Because..

1) The sat feed is used 99% of the time by the wife.. for whom Kodi is a complexity and downgrade over simply having the TV remote, keeping her exisiting remote and use pattern trumps my kodi system.
2) Its a rental villa so while I could rewire if I pay $$ Its a PITA
3) I am honestly sick of HTPCs after 2 decades of them.. Happy with my android nodes.

Its not that bog of a deal, its more like, wanting to have that last bit of the puzzle into 'my' kodi system.. But I am not much of a TV watcher.

slingbox and android apps looking better daily..
HDMI splitter (some of the cheap ones apparently strip HDCP), one HDMI to the TV, one into one of these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OPR-NH100...eb201560_9

I'm not 100% sure that stripping HDCP is required with these capture boxes, I'm buying one soon hopefully.

According to this https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IPTV_Encoder...ure_Device , these encoders can be forced to do 720p60 and MAYBE 1080p60.

There is a h.265/264 version that does 60fps natively but costs twice as much. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OPR-NH100...eb201560_9

Multiple sellers have different branded versions of these so you might be able to save a few bucks by shopping around. I searched for "h.264 encoder" and "h.265 encoder"
OK thats interesting.. And frankly I doubt my Thai sat system is going to implement hdcp.. They still have cable companies rebroadcasting stolen / pirated sat content here.

I would prefer a passthrough system but.. I should stop seeing negatives.. So once you have the encoded stream.. Does one of the kodi PVRs handle the stream and the channel change backtalk commands ?? Looking to see why this is better than a sling 500.

My issue is.. As my Sat box encoded signal will prevent me getting the full backend / PVR ability (and will have all the IR slow control issues).. All I am ending up doing is basic place shifting of the signal, and it will be slow and kludgy to use compared to the actual sat box.. and that placeshifting of live Tv represents a tiny tiny tiny fraction of my kodi use, I am looking for a simple way to get this done.. If my available sat system was an open one where capture cards got the stream and EPG data and allowed me to do multi channels on multiple capture cards and all the bells and whistles, fast channel changes, directly controlled etc.... then sure, I might be inclined to put the effort in.

But being locked into the source I have, watching live TV almost never, and then needing live TV in other rooms almost never on the never.. This is more about simply trying to tie my last source into Kodi so I can eg 'watch a MotoGP in the office' or 'watch a UFC in the bedroom' in the rare occasions where that happens.
Well more importantly you are doing time shifting. My PVR philosophy is "Record what you want to watch, watch it when you feel like it".

For example I rarely want to watch the news at 6.00 pm, I am usually still at work or cooking dinner. I watch it later, after dinner or during dinner. IMHO PVR is about convenience in terms of time, not just shifting your signal around the house.

Frankly I don't like HDPVR solutions because you can only record one channel per capture device, and if you want another channel you need to have another STB and another HDPVR. Of course your situation may not give you a choice (although see below).

Contrast a digital TV tuner where you can record multiple channels on one tuner, and more tuners is cheap.

Some people use a device they can plug into their Backend and use the Sat company's encryption card in there, instead of in the STB. Coupled with a DVB-S tuner of course. That will get a better result.

Some people even share their encryption cards over the internet, but that discussion is not allowed here.
Sorry forgot to say, the usual scheme for channel changing is either a IR transmitter in the backend, or sometimes the STB allows firewire or serial or network control. If you are just doing recording of set shows, the time delay is inconsequential. If you are a channel surfer, it will probably bug you. Needless to say from my last post, I am not a channel surfer.
No I am not timeshifting at all.. The only purpose is live Tv as its is broadcast.. No other purpose, no recording.

For recorded TV I (cough) find it and its on my NAS, all organized with meta data and in kodis library.. I personally dont like to watch TV show eps unless I have the whole series as I binge watch and scheduling annoys me.. Same for movies.. This is not about 'gathering content' at all. Its only the channel surfing, watching at time of broadcast aspect.

Frankly, this is why its a tiny tiny fraction of my use.. I have recorded Tv, recorded movies... This is about Thai TV channels for the missus, maybe when something global happens news (which I can do with an add on) or financial channels (again can stream with add ons) and maybe sports (again acestream or other add ons usually work, lower def and if my net is performing.. But my UFC in 1080 on Fox beats streaming here on Thai internet).

As to the whole PVR timeshift and capture devices.. None of that will work with our sat feeds and boxes.. 2 years ago they moved to a encryption that cant be cardshared (IRDETO 2 if memory serves) from videocrypt which everyone had dreamboxes for.. and so the whole backend system your suggesting cant work that way.. I simply can get an HDMI from my box, and IR control the box.. Anything else is encrypted out of being possible, and there is zero desire to store / record or save any of this, and no way to program an EPG to do it (other than just timestamps and they move shows around while 'Dear Leader' the General rants and raves on TV for a few hours when he feels like).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SAT feed on HDMI into Kodi0