one or more items failed to play (stream over vpn)
ADMIN please move this to Raspberry Pi subject. Sorry for the mistake.

Hi every body

So I travel a lot and I am a regular guest in the various hotels. To kill time I like to watch some movies/tv shows etc. At home I have a server with all my Movies/Tv Shows hosted and Raspberry Pi B that is connected to a TV. At home everything works like a charm. But on the road I have my second Pi with me and on some Movies or Tv Shows I get ERROR one or more items failed to play.

My connection to my server is via VPN that is running on my NAS. The PI that I have with me is connected via LAN to my laptop (internet connection shard because a lot of hotels have web browser log in). I can add normally add video source with FTP, SSH of SAMBA. On all I get the same error when playing specific files. But at home those one would work normally.

Here is the error from log file.

19:12:20 T:1673520192 ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Remote file not found(78)
19:12:20 T:1673520192 ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Connect, didn't get any data from stream.
19:12:20 T:1673520192 ERROR: Open - failed to open source <ftp://USERNAME:[email protected]:21/Multimedia/Movies/TV_Shows/Arrested_Development/Season01/Arrested Development - S01E09 - Storming the Castle.avi>
19:12:20 T:1673520192 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [ftp://[email protected]:21/Multimedia/Movie...1/Arrested Development - S01E09 - Storming the Castle.avi]
19:12:20 T:1673520192 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
19:12:20 T:1673520192 DEBUG: OnPlayBackStopped: play state was 1, starting 1
19:12:20 T:1969258496 DEBUG: OnPlayBackStopped: play state was 3, starting 0
19:12:20 T:1969258496 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnStop from xbmc
19:12:20 T:1969258496 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 1, from xbmc, message OnStop
19:12:20 T:1969258496 ERROR: PlayMedia could not play media: ftp://[email protected]:21/Multimedia/Movie...1/Arrested Development - S01E09 - Storming the Castle.avi

Thanks for any help

Cheers Ziga
Moved, now please remove your log and replace with a link to a paste site. Thanks.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I doubt that this is a PI specific issue and see it better suited in OS-independent, but let's see Smile

As you have a laptop with you anyways, can you reproduce the issue with Kodi running on your laptop? What happens if you try to open the video on your Laptop using VLC or any other player?
Hi

running KODI on my LInux Mint and with VPN connection to my Sever I can normally watch Movies/Tv-shows.

So it has to be something with the Pi settings and remote stream.
are you running the same Kodi version on both devices (laptop + PI)? Which distribution are you running on the PI (OE, OSMC, ...)
I had the latest version on both. But than I installed V4.2.1 on Pi since I read that this version supposed not to be affected by Curl

So a did a bit more testing

If I mount movie/tv-shows folder directly with Cifs to PI than everything works normal via VPN (server -> vpn -> my laptop (connected via WLAN)-> shared LAN -> Pi). But if I try via FTP, SMB or SSH than I get the error above.

So I sort of fixed the problem. But it still bugs me why it is not working with normal settings.

p.s. I got this error even if I connected from Pi via SSH directly to my server so without and VPN connection.
Hi everybody

I need a bit of help. I tried many different options but the only way that I can connect to my remote server and watch movies is to mount the network folder as local.

So it goes something like this

I installed Datho VPN that allows me to establish VPN connection between Server and PI
Than I ssh to PI and run the following mount command "mount -t cifs -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx,rw //xx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Multimedia/Movies /storage/videos/mount"

So now I would like to have things a bit smoother. I was thinking of a startup script that will watch for "ps -ef | grep datho" process when this process will be started it would execute the mount command "mount -t cifs -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx,rw //xx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Multimedia/Movies /storage/videos/mount"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
one or more items failed to play (stream over vpn)0