Refresh rate switching on interlaced content
I'm still on 14.2, so if this has been fixed in the newer versions please let me know (I'm a bit scared of upgrading as I'm new to Kodi/Linux and finally have the hang of 14.2)

I record a lot of movies on channels that are 1080i. These movies were all originally shot on film at 24fps.

When I set my deinterlacing in Kodi I can use either temporal spatial or temporal spatial (half). Bringing up the Codecinfo debug I can see they detelecine down to 47.95 or 23.98 respectively. But my pc still spits out a 60hz signal for both of them.

Why is additional pulldown being done after the 24fps stream has already been reconstituted? Is there a setting to correctly output a 24hz signal the way progressive files do?
You will first need your X config to match your display's capability for resolutions and refresh rates. Then check you have the appropriate (and latest) graphics driver for your GPU, test it all with xrandr (xrandr -q) and create a xorg.conf static display config if required. In Kodi you can then enable 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video' to dynamically switch refresh rates to what your display can handle depending on your movie's fps. From your post it is clear that your display must be able to handle 24fps if most of your video material is 24fps Smile. Also, Deinterlacing should be set to Auto in Kodi.
What he said.

Also I highly doubt that all the movies you have were shot on film at 24 fps. More likely than not they are 23.976 fps not 24
(2015-11-05, 19:07)pittsoccer33 Wrote: I'm still on 14.2, so if this has been fixed in the newer versions please let me know (I'm a bit scared of upgrading as I'm new to Kodi/Linux and finally have the hang of 14.2)

I record a lot of movies on channels that are 1080i. These movies were all originally shot on film at 24fps.

When I set my deinterlacing in Kodi I can use either temporal spatial or temporal spatial (half). Bringing up the Codecinfo debug I can see they detelecine down to 47.95 or 23.98 respectively. But my pc still spits out a 60hz signal for both of them.

Why is additional pulldown being done after the 24fps stream has already been reconstituted? Is there a setting to correctly output a 24hz signal the way progressive files do?

Does Kodi actually remove 3:2 pulldown from 24p content in a 60i stream and output 24p in this situation. (Could be the codecinfo is reporting that the stream contains the 48i stream with repeat field-flags which some MPEG2 and H264 encoders use, but it doesn't mean that Kodi is deinterlacing these to 24p)

From memory the Intel deinterlacer doesn't do a 60i to 24p deinterlace, but it does a 60i to 60p (copying with the 60i frames that have mixed fields from two different film frames?) Though I may be wrong. I'm not sure if any Kodi deinterlacing solution will switch the refresh rate to 24p when fed a 60i stream (even if it is a 3:2 pulled-down stream)? You do have issues with mixed cadence as well - as 3:2 24p in 60i material can be edited in the 60i domain and you end up with the 3:2 cadence being disrupted (particularly at advert breaks on US TV shows)
check out fpsdetect in advanced settings. per default kodi only switches on a clean pattern of length 1. debug log would tell us what fps Kodi has measured.
(2015-11-06, 19:32)FernetMenta Wrote: check out fpsdetect in advanced settings. per default kodi only switches on a clean pattern of length 1. debug log would tell us what fps Kodi has measured.

Does Kodi do a 60i->24p deinterlace when it detects 3:2 in a 60i (or 60p?) stream? (And is this across all deinterlacers - or vendor specific, i.e. nVidia only or Intel only)
(2015-11-06, 15:53)noggin Wrote: Does Kodi actually remove 3:2 pulldown from 24p content in a 60i stream and output 24p in this situation. (Could be the codecinfo is reporting that the stream contains the 48i stream with repeat field-flags which some MPEG2 and H264 encoders use, but it doesn't mean that Kodi is deinterlacing these to 24p)

This is another question I have. In the codec info when I see the 47.95/23.98 frame rates at the bottom of the screen I wasn't sure if that meant it was recreating 24p or not (I assumed so).

I'm able to get the 24hz refresh automatically in other places, so I think my computer/drivers are set up correctly (I'm using OpenElec if that is important).

I will try to find the fpsdetect menu and see whats going on in there.
(2015-11-06, 20:48)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-06, 19:32)FernetMenta Wrote: check out fpsdetect in advanced settings. per default kodi only switches on a clean pattern of length 1. debug log would tell us what fps Kodi has measured.

Does Kodi do a 60i->24p deinterlace when it detects 3:2 in a 60i (or 60p?) stream? (And is this across all deinterlacers - or vendor specific, i.e. nVidia only or Intel only)

I think if we can answer this it will answer my original question. I'm also curious about whether Kodi can detelecine 720p60 files sourced from film, but I personally don't have much of that as the movie channels I care about are 1080i.
Kodi does not have any particular code for doing reverse pulldown. If top and bottom fields are taken from the same picture, deinterlacing should be switched off. nvidia vdpau has a mode that should detect this but it would still result in a full frame per field.

Can you provide a short recording?
Here's a clip from a 1080i recording. I have an Nvidia GT430

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1yBV8h...cslist_api
Nice, Frankenstein was missing in my collection of samples Smile
Will have a look soon

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh rate switching on interlaced content1