HiMedia Q5 4K3D Quad Core English Version... A HELPFUL WALKTHROUGH FOR SETUP!
Getting into the HTPC/Media Streamer game can be scary. So many options. So many ways to screw it all up!
I had no idea what I was getting myself into but I've finally figured this deal out.

When the time came to pull the trigger, I decided on going with the latest English European version of the
HiMedia Q5 Quad Core 4K3D streamer
(linked here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RCUJ...ge_o00_s00 )

The HiMedia Q5 supports Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA AND 3D MVC ISO's! The trick is figuring out how to get them
to all play nicely.

So, here goes. Here's what you'll need and how you'll have to use it to get your HiMedia Q5 4K3D running:

- HiMedia Q5 4K3D - The most recent European Quad Core version:

- Update It's Firmware to whatever the most recent version is as they usually provide great improvements

- Install the HiMedia Wrapper ( http://www.mediafire.com/download/73ydkv...rapper.apk. )
This allows the external HiMedia player to run the movies which gives you Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA as
well as 3D MVC ISO Support (Full 3D -- not htbab, sbs, etc.)

- DTS-MA encoded movies work fine as MKV's (haven't tested in ISOs but I'm sure they work there, too... feel free to test for yourself)

- Dolby TrueHD movies did not work for me in MKV containers. They jittered/stuttered. That may not be the case for you, however, so
I would recommend running a test before committing one way or the other. I ended going with ISOs
for my Dolby TrueHD films (I downloaded
a free app called Aurora Bluray Copy as I'm on a Mac -- There are, of course, alternatives for those of you on a PC or Linux that will extract
a bluray ISO). In short, if MKV files don't work, try ISOs. If ISOs don't work, try MKV. In my case, it was ISO that worked.

- For those of you with your video running via HDMI through your surround sound setup,
In order for 3D ISO movies to work, your AVR (home theater receiver) has to pass through the HDMI signal
if you have any kind of processing on or, even, an 'auto' setting, the 3D WILL NOT WORK -- NO VIDEO PROCESSING
ONLY PASSTHROUGH!
Make sure your AVR is not affecting the video in any way or it may affect your ability to
produce a 3D Image.

- Now, for my Mac users, you'll notice that finding your Mac over the network with the Q5 will be a spectacular
pain in the butt. This was my issue, too. Long story short: SMBUP It's a free app that will allow you to share
your designated media drive(s) with your Q5 (and, I'm guessing, other HiMedia models).
Following the instructions at the link below, I was able to get my SMB up and running in no-time flat!
( http://www.tweaking4all.com/os-tips-and-...x-smb-fix/ )

- You'll also need to adhere to the correct file naming structure. Otherwise, skins like (Aeon Mq6) with the bluray covers won't work properly
and the 3d functions of the himediawrapper may not work either.

For example:

Moonraker (1979).bluray.mkv
San Andreas (2015).bluray.3d.iso
The Rock (1995).dvd.mkv

You can find more info on how Kodi works with file names here: ( http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies )

- Last but not least, the remote. I have two Logitech Harmony remotes (a harmony smart control with a hub and a 650. Both work with the
HiMedia box and Logitech's customer support suggests all their remotes do. I love my Harmony Smart control
( http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-C...B00BQ5RYI4 ) as it comes with an IR blaster
in addition to the ones built into the hub itself. Since I have a projector, it's weird to point the control off to the side of the room
instead of at the tv or where ever else I want. This lets me do that and it's compatible with everything. Seriously, one time,
I pointed it at my mother and hit mute -- worked..

Anyways, I hope this is helpful to others as I, myself, was up until recently a newbie at this and now I get it. Please feel
free to ask questions about the HiMedia Q5 and I'll help out however I can!
This new thread is not necessary, there is already one open for Himedia Q5 4K
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-11-05, 22:10)movie78 Wrote: This new thread is not necessary, there is already one open for Himedia Q5 4K

I just spent a week digging everywhere on the web to get all the info I just put down on this one thread.
Maybe if all the info existed in one place, it would have saved me a ton of time. Just trying to help out
the next guy or gal who comes along and wants to put together a home theater setup around one of
these amazing little boxes.
Maybe ask a mod to let you add the above info. to the main HiMedia Q5 thread. finger, who started it, has barely any posts.

Also, in the stickied 3D players comparison thread, I added to instructions on how to set-up Q5. Scroll down.

Re: "Dolby TrueHD movies did not work for me in MKV containers", not the case, as has worked for me, looun, and others who've tested Q5 since last year.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-11-05, 22:12)efernandejr Wrote:
(2015-11-05, 22:10)movie78 Wrote: This new thread is not necessary, there is already one open for Himedia Q5 4K

I just spent a week digging everywhere on the web to get all the info I just put down on this one thread.
Maybe if all the info existed in one place, it would have saved me a ton of time. Just trying to help out
the next guy or gal who comes along and wants to put together a home theater setup around one of
these amazing little boxes.
that's what the wiki is for!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Good idea... any takers? efernandejr? Wink
My HT
(2015-11-05, 22:39)hdmkv Wrote: Maybe ask a mod to let you add the above info. to the main HiMedia Q5 thread. finger, who started it, has barely any posts.

Also, in the stickied 3D players comparison thread, I added to instructions on how to set-up Q5. Scroll down.

Re: "Dolby TrueHD movies did not work for me in MKV containers", not the case, as has worked for me, looun, and others who've tested Q5 since last year.

(2015-11-05, 22:46)hdmkv Wrote: Good idea... any takers? efernandejr? Wink

Hah! lol. I actually did see those threads. They were very helpful. I think the toughest things to figure out (which came from someone on this forum), were
why my 3D ISOs were not working. Ended up being a setting on my AVR. I would also love to figure out why my Dolby TrueHD MKVs stutter when they work
for everyone else. I know it's not the video file itself because when I switch to the standard DD5.1 track, the same video works fine. This one eludes me.
My DTS-MA MKVs and 3D ISOs work fine and I know they're both large files as well. I'm thinking it's a setting on my
Q5, maybe? But for the life of me, I have no clue what it is that's wrong.

By the way, I'm probably coming across as being really terse but I just wanna say that I'm EXTREMELY grateful for all the knowledge you guys have all shared
over the last couple of years on this subject. You not only helped me get a box, in the first place, but you helped me with its setup. I'm putting this whole thing
together out of curiousity but also as a gift to my fiance, who is literally incapable of putting away a bluray she's taken out. lol
Happy to help. Re: your TrueHD MKV's, try putting one on a USB drive and playing them locally via Q5 (vs. network). Also, in Q5's settings, do you have it set like this? With the ImageQuality setting, do this (top-right). I have my dynamic contrast set to low, but you can play with these settings to see what looks best. This image processor on Q5 basically acts like a Darbee Darblet if you're familiar with it.
My HT
(2015-11-05, 23:06)hdmkv Wrote: Happy to help. Re: your TrueHD MKV's, try putting one on a USB drive and playing them locally via Q5 (vs. network). Also, in Q5's settings, do you have it set like this? With the ImageQuality setting, do this (top-right). I have my dynamic contrast set to low, but you can play with these settings to see what looks best. This image processor on Q5 basically acts like a Darbee Darblet if you're familiar with it.

I actually had to look up what a Darby Darblet was. lol. I am a poor excuse for a HT enthusiast, I know.
Well, I had almost everything setup the way you do in your pictures except that I had my dynamic contrast off.
I set it to low as per your settings. Not really sure what works best. I have a 103" screen with my Benq W1070
projector. Went ahead and tested one of my Dolby TrueHD MKVs and no luck Confused
Can you upload a sample; I'll test it. You can use MKVMerge to cut out a 1 minute segment, then post it to MediaFire or similar.
My HT
(2015-11-05, 23:19)hdmkv Wrote: Can you upload a sample; I'll test it. You can use MKVMerge to cut out a 1 minute segment, then post it to MediaFire or similar.

Wow, that website just made me feel ignorant. Is that an app? How does that work? Also is it compatible with my Mac?

EDIT: Nevermind! Found something like it here! http://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html
MakeMKV uses MKVMerge to do its thing. You just use MKVMerge to mux/remux MKV's, fix header info., split video in segments, etc.
My HT
(2015-11-05, 23:25)hdmkv Wrote: MakeMKV uses MKVMerge to do its thing. You just use MKVMerge to mux/remux MKV's, fix header info., split video in segments, etc.

I hear ya. I downloaded a version of it, "MKVTookNix GUI v8.5.2". Trying to figure out how to cut out a small section of my MKV. Just
not sure how to do it. Let me play around with it.

http://imgur.com/09gQEoC
http://imgur.com/4dtbzvf

So, still no luck but I did notice this... It looks like my video file which I selected is not the main video file. Would that have something to do with this?
Getting off-topic, but just Google "split" and "MKVMerge" or try YouTube. Here's one from about a year ago.
My HT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia Q5 4K3D Quad Core English Version... A HELPFUL WALKTHROUGH FOR SETUP!0