Frequent video skips since Kodi 15
After I upgraded to Kodi 15 I noticed that video playback is often buggy (this still happens with the latest stable version; 15.2)

What is the issue?
The best way to describe the buggy behavior is this:
  • During playback, video playback slows down while audio playback keeps going at the normal rate. This takes no more than a second
  • Then, both audio and video skip ahead approximately 30 seconds. After the skip, video and audio are in sync again.
  • Pressing the left arrow to seek 30sec into the past allows me to continue watching where I was, and the video/audio stream will then play back the skipped section smoothly.

This issue can happen with any file format, with any resolution, and with any video plugin.

What have I tried to fix it?
First I tried searching this forum, the wiki, and other resources, but to no avail

I did try to modify the caching behavior, but that did not change anything about the playback.
I modified ~/Library/Application Support/Kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml to read the following:
Code:
advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>1073741824</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>10</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
  <videoextensions>
    <add>.html</add>
  </videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

About my setup
My system is OS X 10.15.5 (Yosemite) on a 2009 Mac Mini (2GHz Core2Duo, 8GB DDR3 1067MHz RAM).
My Kodi version is 15.2 2015-10-19-02e7013

How can I fix it?
I'm convinced that this is not a performance issue for the following reasons:
  • The machine has plenty of memory. Also, as you can see, my caching settings are very generous
  • The issue happens even on 240p youtube videos.
  • The machine has enough computing power, as in VLC I can watch 1080p video all day without any issues.
  • On Kodi 14 I had no such issues

If not changing the hardware, what else can I do to get the smooth video playback back that I'm used to from Kodi?
What are your settings in settings-video-playback? Also Post a debug log (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
After enabling the debug log, the issue happened again while watching `smb://minibar.m/raid_storage/entertainment/video5.mp4` In order to prevent the logs from filling up with irrelevant stuff, I pressed Cmd+Q at that point. Here's the log: http://pastebin.com/ii4VAjML

These are my video playback settings (http://imgur.com/3PGLkbS):

Preferred audio language: Original stream's language
Prefer default audio streams: yes
Play next video automatically: no
---
Skip steps: -10min, -5min, -3min, -60sec, -30sec, -10sec, 10sec, 30sec, 60sec. 3min, 5min, 10min
Skip delay: 750ms
---
Adjust display refresh rate: off
-pause during refresh rate change: n/a
Sync playback to display: yes
Minimise black bars: off
Display 4:3 video as: Normal
---
Activate teletext: on
-Scale teletext to 4:3: on
---
Playback mode of stereoscopic 3D videos: Ask me
Disable stereoscopic 3D mode when playback ended: on
what happens if you disable sync video to display (i mean related to your problem)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
After turning that feature off, I haven't had the issue again.

So what does this option do, other than cause playback issues on my computer?
fixes playback issues on others Wink
Lol, that's hilarious Big Grin

Thanks for your help. I think we can consider this resolved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frequent video skips since Kodi 150