Win Kangaroo Mobile Desktop (Atom X5-Z8500), Win 10
http://www.kangaroo.cc/kangaroo.php

* Intel Atom X5-Z8500 (1.44 GHz) (Cherry Trail)
* 2 GB LPDDR3 32 GB eMMC SSD
* Windows 10 64bit Home
* Wi-Fi 802.11 A/C (Dual Band) / Bluetooth 4.0
* USB 2.0 x 1, USB 3.0 x 1, HDMI x 1
Image Image

I'm a bit surprised no one has posted this here yet. It's Available from Newegg here for $99. I think I would snatch one if I lived in the US, looks superior and cheaper to the Tronsmart Ara X5 that people have been raving about. It also has a battery good for 4 hours.
Yes - odd form factor - but interesting. Has been mentioned elsewhere I think. Wonder if they will bring out other docks? Win 10 activated at that price is also pretty good.

Also wonder if has dual-channel RAM? ISTR that was one advantage of the 8500 over the 8300?
Couldn't find that info. As someone who never bothered learning about dual channel memory, what difference does it make?
One thing to look out for is that despite various work arounds 32GB seems to have often proven to not really be enough space on these type of devices that run windows. After the OS, windows updates, and a few programs you can easily begin to have less than 10GB of space left. Some users have reported ended up with only a few GBs remaining.

I have noticed this on another forum I follow for a transformer style tablet/notebook which comes in 32 and 64GB versions, and in conclusion 64GB seems to be the way to go for the OS and programs, plus of course a memory card to store any bulk data.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
If you install other stuff, sure... But I personally use a similar machine for kodi + light browsing + libreoffice and I have about 10 Gb free, and that includes the "downgrade back to Windows 8" stuff that was left behind.

Though that's definitely a valid concern.
Good to hear. Devices like this definitely are interesting for some uses.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2015-11-08, 16:36)joazito Wrote: Couldn't find that info. As someone who never bothered learning about dual channel memory, what difference does it make?

Significantly higher performance as it access two different banks of memory simultaneously AIUI - rather than sequentially - so effectively doubles the memory bandwidth (which can be useful when you are sharing memory bandwidth between CPU and GPU?).

The basic Z8300 only has single channel support, but the Z8500 adds dual channel support IF dual channel memory is implemented.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kangaroo Mobile Desktop (Atom X5-Z8500), Win 100