Next Track, Previous Track (videos)
My keyboard's period and comma control the next track / previous track for music files but not video files. I tried to make an advancedsettings.xml file but could not get it working at all. Is the next track / previous track function even possible during video playback ?

I have a bunch of music video files in a Folder and want to advance a track or go back a track while playing.

Intel i5 NUC
OpenELEC 6.0.0
pageup / pagedown should do the trick.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I have an existing keymap.xml file located here:

IP address \ userdata \ keymaps

It's content is:

<keymap>
<fullscreenvideo>
    <keyboard>
        <g>activatewindow(videobookmarks)</g>
</keyboard>
</fullscreenvideo>
</keymap>

I added <period>pageup</period> and <comma>pagedown</comma> under <g>activatewindow(videobookmarks)</g> and rebooted but period and comma does nothing. Do I need to make an advancedsetting.xml file for this function ?
nope it's not needed to create an advancedsettings.xml file.

check your Debug Log if the custom keymap loads correctly.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
After much trial and error, I think I found out how to make it work. I added

<period>SkipNext</period>
<comma>SkipPrevious</comma>

to my existing keymap.xml file. I rebooted and it works if I Play the Folder containing the video files but not if I open the folder, play a file and then press period or comma. It must have to do with "Playlists" which I know nothing about at this point. I guess that's my next project.
What I can't understand is why I must create a playlist in order to utilize the SkipNext / SkipPrevious commands. This seems like a pretty basic command that shouldn't require such special treatment. Most remotes have next & previous buttons.
If you select a single file to play, you only have a playlist of one. There is no next or previous file to skip to. Therefore, SkipNext and SkipPrevious have no function in such a case.
(2015-11-09, 07:38)Mike_xbmc Wrote: If you select a single file to play, you only have a playlist of one. There is no next or previous file to skip to. Therefore, SkipNext and SkipPrevious have no function in such a case.

Music Files in Kodi don't seem to require this.
If you have "Settings -> Music -> Playback -> Play next song automatically" enabled, then yes, SkipNext and SkipPrevious will work (within the bounds of the current directory, I believe). AFAIK this setting is enabled by default for Music, and disabled by default for Video. If "Settings -> Video -> Playback -> Play next video automatically" is enabled you should see the same behavior for videos.

My guess is most people want to automatically play the next song when listening to music, but don't necessarily want to watch the next movie when selecting a file from the Genre, Title, Year, etc. listings, or from File View.
(2015-11-09, 18:18)Mike_xbmc Wrote: If you have "Settings -> Music -> Playback -> Play next song automatically" enabled, then yes, SkipNext and SkipPrevious will work (within the bounds of the current directory, I believe). AFAIK this setting is enabled by default for Music, and disabled by default for Video. If "Settings -> Video -> Playback -> Play next video automatically" is enabled you should see the same behavior for videos.

My guess is most people want to automatically play the next song when listening to music, but don't necessarily want to watch the next movie when selecting a file from the Genre, Title, Year, etc. listings, or from File View.

Thank you very much Mike. That was the solution. I can now skip ahead and back with both music and video folders that have multiple files and also also in root directories. This feature allows me to skip ahead to the next episode without watching the credits and such.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Next Track, Previous Track (videos)0