Cheap Music focused Kodi platform
I'm looking for a cheap Kodi platform mainly as a music player. Must be able to play back 24 bit/192 khz flac and multi-channel flac. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
The Pi 2 will do these over HDMI - and you can also connect I2S DACs to it if you want analogue output. There are also ODroid C1 solutions - but they won't have the same level of support.

Lots of support for the Pi 2 as a HiFi music player, though a lot of people use non-Kodi player solutions for this. There are headless player solutions that use web/smartphone control that arguably are a better fit for music than Kodi?
Thanks. I'll do some more research.
Main limitation of the Pi 2 is that over HDMI you are limited to 4.0 with 192kHz audio, though 48/96kHz is fine at 5.1/7.1. All handle 24 bit no problem.

I'm assuming you are doing HDMI audio if you are multichannel - the I2S DACs are all 2.0 stereo devices ISTR.
Yes, I'll be using HDMI audio. I'm pretty sure anything I have at 192khz is 2.0 stereo and that the 5.1 flacs are lower. I was just looking at Rune audio. Do you have any experience with that?
(2015-11-09, 12:35)akrein62 Wrote: Yes, I'll be using HDMI audio. I'm pretty sure anything I have at 192khz is 2.0 stereo and that the 5.1 flacs are lower. I was just looking at Rune audio. Do you have any experience with that?

I've played with Rune, Volumio and Moode on a Pi 2. I've got an IQ Audio DigiAmp+ which I use as an internet radio, Spotify client and music player for my local music library in a bedroom/study area. It's connected to some not-very-special JBL bookshelf speakers. Think I'm currently using Moode - but to be honest I'm not sure. I've got the BBC Radio 320k AAC URLs running via an additional server which took a bit of fiddling, but now just works. (I use the set-up mainly for listening to Radio 4 and Radio 2 - with a bit of Spotify when there's no radio I want to listen to)

In my main listening location I use Kodi with a Chromebox most of the time, though sometimes switch out for a Raspberry Pi 2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap Music focused Kodi platform0