Kodi freezes when tuner being watched is taken by backend recorder
I have 2 tuners on my backend nextPvr server. One tuner was being used to make a recording and I was watching live TV with the other tuner using my RPi2. The backend server took away the tuner I was viewing to start another recording. The image on my TV switched to the new channel and then froze. The only way I could recover from this was by rebooting my RPi2. I later determined that the GUI was frozen and that the OS was still running because I was able to log into the RPi2 device from my PC.

A better outcome would have been a dialog notice that I had lost the tuner and then be allowed to make other menu selections instead of the device freezing. The problem has to either be in the nextPvr addon or in kodi itself.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Me too,
so i use NextPvr with Windows.
And i think you are right with the GUI think: Windows is still running in my part but Kodi freezes/Stops working.
My problem is, that it not always happens, so creating a log for this special problem is complicated.

Most of the time it only happens when my better half is using Kodi Sad This does not increase the WAF.
(2015-11-10, 23:09)theplayer02 Wrote: Me too,
so i use NextPvr with Windows.
And i think you are right with the GUI think: Windows is still running in my part but Kodi freezes/Stops working.
My problem is, that it not always happens, so creating a log for this special problem is complicated.

Most of the time it only happens when my better half is using Kodi Sad This does not increase the WAF.
I was able to copy the log file in this situation. The trick is to configure samba so you can access the kodi files. Although the screen is frozen, the underlying OS is still running. I use windows to access the log file and copy it to my PC.

Once you reboot, those log entries disappear so it's important that you copy the log file while the GUI is frozen and before you reboot.
Hi jmooremcc,
thanks for the info, but i know how to get a log in general :-)
What i wanted to say was, that it is not a good idea to have the debugging log activated all the time and not only the "normal log" for the possible 1 in 50 chance to get the bug :-)
I saw this bug by myself only two times, my better half a way more often :-)

But i will try to get a debugging log out and provoke the error.
So i tried it 4 times today, but no luck. No Freeze.

I tried the following combinations:
- programmed two recordings at the same time, one HD one SD and watched the HD channel
- programmed two recording at different times, one HD one SD and watched the HD channel
- programmed two recordings at the same time, one HD one SD and watched the SD channel
- programmed two recording at different times, one HD one SD and watched the SD channel

As i stated before, it does not happen often, but when it happens the debug log is not activated Confused

I fear i have to watch TV with Debug Log activated all the time.

@jmooremcc Did you have better luck creating a Debug Log showing the bug?
When the GUI freezes and you reboot, you lose the part of the log that is relevant to the problem. I setup samba so I could access the log files from my pc. When the display freezes, the underlying OS is still running. You can then copy the log file to your pc before rebooting.
(2015-11-12, 05:40)jmooremcc Wrote: When the GUI freezes and you reboot, you lose the part of the log that is relevant to the problem.

Sorry to correct you, but this is not true. As long as you do not start Kodi again you loose nothing. As i do not reboot my whole system, i loose nothing; remember, i'm not on a raspi Cool
In my Setup, were i start Kodi through the pressing of the green button on the MCE remote the log will stay intact as long
as you not start a new Kodi session. But even then the old log is copied to Kodi.log.old and a new log is created. The old log will
get overwriten for each start :-)

But i repeat myself: i'm not talking about the "normal log". What really helps find the problem is the advanced log.

So i will enable debuging with verbose output but without the onscreen text (see the above link).

But the more important question is: can you provoke the error? On my side it is very difficult to provoke the error as i stated before.
And if so, post your log file?

A verbose debug log from your side will also help a lot!
I can only comment on what I experienced with a Raspberry Pi.
Since the GUI was frozen, my only option was to reboot the Pi to get it functional. After the reboot I compared the current log to the one I saved. All entries were identical until the point in time where the tuner was taken away by the backend.

I will replicate the problem with log debug mode on and post that log.
Finally it crashed again,
the debug log is not as promising as i had hoped.
But nethertheless here it is Debug Log.

I stopped Kodi right after the crash.
But after looking through the log i fear have to really log more then i did.

Hopefully someone here can give me a tipping in the right direction what the problem could be.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi freezes when tuner being watched is taken by backend recorder0