Win Bring Back Windows XP Support! (Kodi)
Ok, so let's vote :-D
This seriously needs more sarcastic and smart ass replies, not cause of all the obvious reasons, old os, security, etc...

But cause of his 1st sentence, he sounds like an arrogant douchebag tool

"People, lets REQUIRE the developers to bring back support for XP"
I just thought that was too funny :-D
Does anyone here watch Parks and Rec?
No, but after reading a bit i might find thst funny, as well :-)
Hello Fellows,

I´ll try to make my point, it´s just a point of view.

Look, for a living room, you don´t need a super patched PC with updates from microsoft. And, as I said, there is security updates for windows XP until 2019! Look for windows xp embedded (you only need to create a reg file to receive those updates) and windows xp black edition 2015 (community windows xp at the TPB).
In your Media Center, you will use it to watch movies, youtube, IPTV, listen to music and play some games (here is the great thing about WXP).
In resume, you don´t need a top of the line PC for a living room, your old pc can be great for those purposes, and that is why:
1st - With WXP you can have Steam installed, and run all DX9 games. KODI + Steam launcher in BPM.
2nd - A LOT of emulators are designed and developed for windows, they will work properly than in linux. I would like to use it with RCBrowser or with www.hal8999.com
3rd - Better quality drivers from manufactures until they support it (or not...).
4th - Windows XP is lighter than linux distros or newer windows OS (just look the requirements 500MHZ!!! this is awesome!), I installed a WXP-32 in an AMD C-50 processor and it runs like a decent PC! WAY better than any other linux distro. It performs better in 32bits with 3,5GB for RAM (limited RAM due 32bit system) than other OS 64bit with 4GB or 8GB of RAM. Maybe because this is a really mature OS.
5th - Windows is better for average users than those horrible codes from linux.
6th - Windows XP just works, and this is really fine! You don´t need more for a living room, you only need Kodi.
7th - If you want to run your top of the line games, just stream to your steam in your living room.

If this is a lack of APIs, I can understand the support drop and perfectly agree with you guys.
But since Kodi is a 32bit program, I thought it would be nice to still run on WXP (if this means not too much programming work).

Best Regards
well, just stick with the Kodi version running on XP if you don't want to upgrade to something like Windows7 or Linux - we won't add back support for it. So you can bring whatever argument you want - it won't happen.
It's just not possible anymore!
(2015-11-12, 23:15)ronie Wrote: Image

I have a new goal in life.
It´s useless to resist then...

Ok, I´m moving to windows 10.

Please close this thread.
Yes go ahead and close this thread, but I just have to say, even in your attempt to explain your point of view, you still sound like a pompous ass
I still can't see how anyone could argue for a low powered XP system over a low powered W10 system. 10 seems to be even better on low end gear. I'm running Kodi on a bare bones W10 system packaged in an Apple II GS case and it is perfect.
(2015-11-22, 18:59)manimpz Wrote: Hello Fellows,

I´ll try to make my point, it´s just a point of view.

Look, for a living room, you don´t need a super patched PC with updates from microsoft. And, as I said, there is security updates for windows XP until 2019! Look for windows xp embedded (you only need to create a reg file to receive those updates) and windows xp black edition 2015 (community windows xp at the TPB).
In your Media Center, you will use it to watch movies, youtube, IPTV, listen to music and play some games (here is the great thing about WXP).
In resume, you don´t need a top of the line PC for a living room, your old pc can be great for those purposes, and that is why:
1st - With WXP you can have Steam installed, and run all DX9 games. KODI + Steam launcher in BPM.
2nd - A LOT of emulators are designed and developed for windows, they will work properly than in linux. I would like to use it with RCBrowser or with www.hal8999.com
3rd - Better quality drivers from manufactures until they support it (or not...).
4th - Windows XP is lighter than linux distros or newer windows OS (just look the requirements 500MHZ!!! this is awesome!), I installed a WXP-32 in an AMD C-50 processor and it runs like a decent PC! WAY better than any other linux distro. It performs better in 32bits with 3,5GB for RAM (limited RAM due 32bit system) than other OS 64bit with 4GB or 8GB of RAM. Maybe because this is a really mature OS.
5th - Windows is better for average users than those horrible codes from linux.
6th - Windows XP just works, and this is really fine! You don´t need more for a living room, you only need Kodi.
7th - If you want to run your top of the line games, just stream to your steam in your living room.

If this is a lack of APIs, I can understand the support drop and perfectly agree with you guys.
But since Kodi is a 32bit program, I thought it would be nice to still run on WXP (if this means not too much programming work).

Every argument is completely valid for why you would want to choose a Windows platform over *nix. That's totally OK as they are *your* preferences for what you like.

Quote:4th - Windows XP is lighter than linux distros or newer windows OS

..but here, I'm just going to say you are wrong. Windows XP is not lighter than Linux distros and it is most definitely not lighter than newer Windows. Sure, debatable compared to Vista, but up against Windows 7, Windows 8, and now Windows 10 you are just plain dead wrong.

Quote: And, as I said, there is security updates for windows XP until 2019! Look for windows xp embedded (you only need to create a reg file to receive those updates) and windows xp black edition 2015 (community windows xp at the TPB).

If your idea of maintaining security of an operating system is one where you load binaries from either (I) a different OS (XP Embedded really is not identical to XP), or (ii) crack/warez sites, then you have a very interesting definition of "security".

I'm really trying to keep this a genuine discussion but your points that you raise in support of why Windows XP should be supported are either invalid, wrong, or weak.
Kodi 17.6 on multiple Windows 10 x64 machines with shared MySQL 5.6.43 database. Kodi 18 on Xbox One. Content (music, video, photos) stored on Windows Server 2012 R2 file server and accessed by SMB.
Just let this thread die along with XP.
closed as requested by the OP.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bring Back Windows XP Support! (Kodi)0