Win DTS/DD sound not passing through HDMI, due to resolution?
So I've built a new HTPC and I'm having problems with digital sound through HDMI.

First off. Windows wants to give my screen a resolution of (Let's call this Res 1)1360 x 768, and if I change it, it says it's not optimal, but that's fine, I'm happy with (and this Res 2) 1280 x 720p.

However, sound doesn't come through when it's on Res 1, and my screen doesn't give me the "Movie" " Dynamic" etc settings on the screen, the ones one usually gets through HDMI, but when I change to Res 2 the colors are correct and sound comes out, but only on Multichannel 5.1 (fake surround), not DTS/DD.

However, connecting the PC to only the screen, then sound works fine through the TV with whichever Resolution I use, but DTS/DD can't be tested on a TV.

I know I get DTS/DD on the setup since I have another media player and an Xbox, and they work fine.

I've tried with my stationary PC and the same problem arises.

I've tried changing drivers on display and sound. Looked thorugh bios. Changed cables. Reciever as default of course and checked settings there.

Any ideas? Why would resolution disturb sound? Could it be that the MB has HDMI 2.0 and the reciever 1.3? I bought both the cables I tried when Ibought the HT setup, so they're probably 1.3 too, but HDMI should be compatible, and I do get video and sound, albeit not digital.

I use testfiles and movies with DTS/DD and I know they work on the other devices. And I use VLC and Kodi to test, and also K-Lite codecs, so I've got the stuff needed to get digital sound...or?

The system is:
Windows 10
MB:Gigabyte z170n Wifi
CPU: i5 6600 Skylake

My hometheater setup:
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR605
Screen: Pioneer Kuro 8th generation 42"
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS/DD sound not passing through HDMI, due to resolution?0