• 11(current)
Android HiMedia H8 Octa & Zidoo X6 Pro: Comparative Review (RK3368 / 3D / HD Audio)
(2016-01-18, 03:42)wrxtasy Wrote: hdmkv, where is HiMedia's up to date Github modified Kodi code sources ?

All I'm seeing is code that is overs two months old, and is now not GPL compliant.
https://github.com/himedia-kodi/himedia-kodi-15.2

If they are going to release up dated modified versions of Kodi, then they need to also update their GitHub code in sync with these updated versions. This is easy for them to actually do.

My Kodi still say 15.2RC, think that they have made no changes in Kodi but made big improvements on the rest of the firmware.

My review of the 1.0.9 Futeko Firmware:

I still have problems with my H8, lipsync have improved massive and for most eyes it´s just fine but I notice a minimal 5msec and ajusted my AVR and problem solved, picture quality have improved in 2D and 3D (more dept) but in 3D there are space for more improvement (both Kodi and native player), colors are more warm and after lovering the brightness in Android setting more improvement where seen (best improvements are seen in animated movies).

Stutter (micro) are still there in both 2D HD and 3D HD (both 23.976) 24 and 25fps run fine, in one point the 1.0.9 firmware have gone the wrong way and that is with the passthru sound, DTS MA 7.1 and DD TruHD is fine for some minutes and the sound stops (picture get heavy stutter), change the soundtrack fix the problem temporary even if the second soundtrack only is DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 (both Kodi and Internal player), there are no problems if movie only have DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

Have also some problems with heavy stutter on some 3D iso´s but not all (still need more testing , could be my rips), with 3D FF Mvc mkv there are Zero problems with the picture (except microstutter 23.976).

Subtitles are still a problem in Kodi, subs are still in picture and not under the movie even if Kodi are set to show them under the movie (there should be at possibility alter the fine ajust/position manually in Kodi as WD TV Live have), the only time where subs are showed right is in 3D FF Mvc mkv´s if I have made my own PGS 3D subs and they are also shoved as real 3D subs (in front of the movie and not flat), homemade 2D PGS subs are also showed correct (as embeded and external, SRT is showed in movie and not under).

In all the 1.0.9 firmware have made the box usefull and starting to show potential so for now the H8 are connected again and the trusty old WD HD Live have returned to the cellar packed away (until/if the Ombudsman/ASA in UK ask me to ship the H8 to them (the have recieved many complaints).

I can still not reccomend it for people that want a fully working mediaplayer but if they fix the last problems it´s a resonable (actually pretty fine) mediaplayer for the price, the bad side is with the speed the Himedia firmware´s arrive the fix probably won´t arrive before the new boxes will arrive, but for those that allready have bought it there are some hope.

The day there will arrive a real mediaplayer that actually works as described I will be the very first to upload a video on YouTube where the Himedia H8 will be destroyed to bits and pieces Big Grin
@Kilroy, thanks for your impressions. I didn't check subs at all. I'm not seeing that "minimal 5msec" audio synch ... not sure I'd notice 0.005 Seconds (that's 5 Miliseconds) Smile.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-01-19, 03:19)hdmkv Wrote: @Kilroy, thanks for your impressions. I didn't check subs at all. I'm not seeing that "minimal 5msec" audio synch ... not sure I'd notice 0.005 Seconds (that's 5 Miliseconds) Smile.

Hehe I only noticed it because I focused on mouth and sound and nothing else, they actually hit the timing pretty fine Smile

Think I will try and uninstall Kodi and reinstall it and see if it will make a difference on the passthru problem that I have.

Regarding subs, they are very important for a huge amount of people so I will always come with my experience on that, in my house we see movies in all languages, probably more non english spoken then english spoken and I think it should be a part of the fine list you have made on the different 3D capable boxes, many people would be very happy if that where a part Smile

No matter what 1.0.9 firmware is a massive step the right way compared to the old 1.0.7 (it just arrived 6 months to late), if they can make a 1.10 firmware that make the same difference compared to 1.0.9 I think the H8 will be a good box for the 89£ the price is in UK. Smile
(2016-01-18, 21:45)goujam Wrote: I'm interested to hear how the zidoo 1.0.30 goes I'm hoping off a bit as the zidoo forum is not positive about it. Most blaming the change to kodi 16 beta 4

I did test v1.30 on the Zidoo X6 and was very disappointed. Running KODI 16.4 was a bad move I think. Missing add-ons I needed.
Audio sync was better but not complete gone, HDMI-CEC was not working correct in KODI (on my SONY TV) and still no 3D PGS subs. V 1.30 also lacks auto framerate.

I liked the Zidoo Android interface a lot but V1.30 was for me the reason to sell the box to my neighbour, he only needs PCM audio Tongue
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER
INTEL DN2820FYKH NUC 2D/3D WINDOWS
ACER HD9500BD / MARANTZ SR7009 ATMOS 7.1.4

Since its been mentioned these are the same hardware has anyone tried flashing the h8 rom on an x6 pro ?
Don't think that'll work, but just a thought... maybe extract Kodi APK from H8 and try on X6? But, have a feeling it won't fix lip synch on X6 as Zidoo removed one of the RK codec options in h/w acceleration.
My HT
What a day I had yesterday, came home from work, geared to take some hours of testing and optimize the settings (if possible) but entering the living-room something was wrong....WTF!!

The tv had despaired and a big hole in the wall Fuck!! uninvited guest thought they could use my tv, I probably arrived while they where in the house so they only managed to steal the tv (phew all the expensive parts where untouched and why did they not take the H8 damm :-D).

Well well nothing is worst then I had to order a new tv, get the alarm/security upgraded and talk to the insurance company.

Tv will arrive tomorrow so testing will be in the weekend after I have the tv mounted (new brigs, plaster, paint should be finished Saturday).
Sorry to hear about that; a break-in of any kind is scary stuff. Re: H8, the thief probably didn't know what it was.
My HT
Crazy! Do you have PIC of the hole in the wall?
(2016-01-21, 14:35)hdmkv Wrote: Sorry to hear about that; a break-in of any kind is scary stuff. Re: H8, the thief probably didn't know what it was.

Thanks Smile

We where lucky, wife's jewelery, hifi and my bike collection all worth a dime or two where untouched so we are actually glad they didn't have time to get more.

The unpleasant part is that some strangers have walked in our house uninvited so we are happy that the security company had time to come today and make some big improvement´s and with luck prevent the uninvited to come back.

Hehe you could be right about the H8 but maybe they actually knew the box and ran out of the house thinking ohhh shit not that crap Big Grin

To be fair the H8 have improved a lot with the last firmware, I think I found a way to get most of the microstutter away and I also think that the new firmware are more heavy on the chips and net-controller so that's the reason those HD sound dropouts in full rip iso/mkv rips, something that Himedia easy can fix in the next firmware.

If I got a box working like it do now I would have had a different view on the H8, Futeko and Himedia, six months from release date is just to long to get a box that are usefull.
(2016-01-19, 22:37)opeters Wrote:
(2016-01-18, 21:45)goujam Wrote: I'm interested to hear how the zidoo 1.0.30 goes I'm hoping off a bit as the zidoo forum is not positive about it. Most blaming the change to kodi 16 beta 4

I did test v1.30 on the Zidoo X6 and was very disappointed. Running KODI 16.4 was a bad move I think. Missing add-ons I needed.
Audio sync was better but not complete gone, HDMI-CEC was not working correct in KODI (on my SONY TV) and still no 3D PGS subs. V 1.30 also lacks auto framerate.

I liked the Zidoo Android interface a lot but V1.30 was for me the reason to sell the box to my neighbour, he only needs PCM audio Tongue

Same here. Zidoo X6 is the worst box i ever had.
Returned after 4 weeks.
Himedia H8 Octa has been there for a while. Before I decide to buy it I am wondering when will Himedia H9 Octa appear. Does anyone know and will it be really that superior to H8 model? Thanks for some clues.
H8 is fine for a budget 3D media player, provided you can live with a few issues. PQ isn't as good as Q5/Q10's, and there's no 23.976 support. Plus, a handful of 3D ISO's still exhibit macroblocking issues.

If you can spring for HiMedia's Q5/Q10, you'll be better off. Or, better, wait a few weeks for Q10 Pro, or Q5 Pro sometime after that. H8 uses Rockchip's 3368 SoC, and to date, Rockchip just hasn't been as good for video playback as HiSilicon or AMLogic solutions.

Noticed there's a new v1.0.33 firmware for Zidoo X6. Need to re-evaluate both players when I get some time.
My HT
There's a new firmware for Himedia H8 v1.1.1
Anyone has tested?
New firmware v1.0.38 for ZIDOO X6 Pro release
Model: ZIDOO_X6 Pro
Version:v1.0.38
ChangeLog:

1,Fixed the login issue(Google Play store).
2,Rewrote the ZDMC's codec for Rockchip chipset by using a new method for passthrough. update based on kodi 16.1,use the new audio API IEC61937,Fixed the issue of audio out of sync
3,Fixed the undetectable of sdcard sometimes.
4,Adjusted and optimized some system permissions.
5,Adjusted operation of adding device directory in ZIDOO Theater ,optimized scan mode to improve the matching accuracy.
6,Solved the problem that ZIDOO Theater occasionally force stop.
7,Solved MediaCenter occasionally "Unknown err" error result in failue of access the appropriate directory.
8,Added the Zidoo Helper apk,you can search for useful userguide and tutorials in it.
9,Optimized auto frame rate switching for 3d videos on VideoPlayer.
10,Optimized compatibility of some third-party video applications.

Mediafire mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3b6ei8...160603.zip
Amazon mirror:http://ota-cloudfront.zidoo.tv/zidoo_x6/...160603.zip

MD5 :8F8F6E4C92AD4F6F52A04D19B1D93BD1

How to upgrade: http://blog.zidoo.tv/2015/02/how-to-upgr...-firmware/

First in the forum to Gray scale test one week ,if no problem,Then push the OTA online update
Enjoy!

After the upgrade If your ZDMC is still in 16.0, it could be the data have not been covered for some reason.
Please clear it's DATA, and run ZDMC again.or reset factory
Then ZDMC will perform a data installation when it start , the version will subsequently became 16.1
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia H8 Octa & Zidoo X6 Pro: Comparative Review (RK3368 / 3D / HD Audio)3