• 3(current)
Android HiMedia H8 Octa & Zidoo X6 Pro: Comparative Review (RK3368 / 3D / HD Audio)
(2015-11-15, 15:22)Siewarner Wrote: So is the H8 a worthy purchase?
Since you mention proper 24p handling, not yet. I'd second wrxtasy's suggestions, and add HiMedia's other (and better) player Q5.

(2015-11-15, 01:44)Kilroy Wrote: I can make a link in pm where you can get an album with 24/96 numbers on, it´s arround 1.15GB big or I can mail you one number just to make it easy, the file/s is in Flac.
Thanks, but no need, Got FLAC (96/24) & FLAC (44/16) samples. Will try out on H8 and let you know.

(2015-11-15, 15:31)MortUK74 Wrote: I've actually just switched from using a Raspberry Pi2 to using the Himedia H8 with the latest firmware update.
I find Pi2 superior to H8 in most cases, with only power/snappiness & maybe lack of HD audio bitstreaming as points against it. H8 and X6 both still have several nagging issues as I noted in review. There's still no 23.976 (so microstutters are noticeable), there's macroblocking in several 3D ISO's, some 3D ISO's have playback freezing after a couple mins of playback (in H8, with 'Avatar' 3D ISO for example), HD audio pops/crackles are present (and bad for AVR/speakers), and finally lip synch issues are present (especially when you skip ahead in video).

But, good progress is being made, so both may end up being solid Android player options with 3D, HD audio, proper framerates & no video/audio artifacts. For now, that award goes to HiMedia Q5. It isn't perfect, but pretty damn close.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Did Himedia release the source code?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Yep... https://github.com/himedia-kodi/himedia-kodi-15.2
My Family Room Theater
Are they just using everything Zidoo already provide or do they have anything New?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
According to mirror88, same, but we'd probably need a Kodi dev to (independently) let us know.
My Family Room Theater
My only concerns about buying an rpi2 is its speed. I can see it will play everything well but the cpu seems slow and only 1gb ram. I know I am used to android which is not as fast as openelec but I had a wetek openelec and even found that slow compared to an M8.
RPi2 speed, after a little overclocking, is pretty good. But, I agree to some extent, and wish it was faster, more powerful. But, it's still my go-to Kodi player for now, with HiMedia Q5 right behind. But, H8 and X6 only really for testing purposes so far, not any kind of dedicated playback. They're both faster than Pi2 & Q5, so if the issues get worked out (at least the big issues), maybe promote them to dedicated use.
My Family Room Theater
I am just stumped as what to get. Looked at the beebox, brix and chromebox too. I watched a movie on the M8 yesterday before I bricked it and the jerky/stepping was hurting my eyes. That's why I tried to put openelec on it as not sure if it fixed somewhat with that on it.
Just tested z6 with version 23
In my opinion nothing fixed since version .16
Remaining:
- 3d iso played as 2d kick out the movie at some point
- 3d iso also has following: bad artefacte, some start in middle of movie, some have multichannel stereo instead of hd audio

So i expect following firmware should fix something!

For now, my zidoo player is for sale, im fed up with it
(2015-11-15, 20:24)Siewarner Wrote: I am just stumped as what to get. Looked at the beebox, brix and chromebox too. I watched a movie on the M8 yesterday before I bricked it and the jerky/stepping was hurting my eyes. That's why I tried to put openelec on it as not sure if it fixed somewhat with that on it.
If you don't need 3D, it's an easy choice: Chromebox (if you also don't need premium apps like Netflix), or nVidia Shield TV (if you do). With 3D, for now, RPi2 or HiMedia Q5.
My Family Room Theater
I had a shield tv for a week but found it overkill as would never use the gaming side so sold it. I will use kodi only and even though I have a 3d tv I have watched 3d maybe 3 times as it gives me headache.

I will not use netfilx or any other premium apps either. Just been looking at the Q5 but at £100 I am not sure I would be better paying a little more for an ASRock Beebox N3150
You'd be better off with Chromebox or whatever comparable box you can get where you're located. I'm not familiar with ASRock Beebox N3150, but I'm sure others can advise here.
My Family Room Theater
(2015-11-15, 21:08)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-11-15, 20:24)Siewarner Wrote: I am just stumped as what to get. Looked at the beebox, brix and chromebox too. I watched a movie on the M8 yesterday before I bricked it and the jerky/stepping was hurting my eyes. That's why I tried to put openelec on it as not sure if it fixed somewhat with that on it.
If you don't need 3D, it's an easy choice: Chromebox (if you also don't need premium apps like Netflix), or nVidia Shield TV (if you do). With 3D, for now, RPi2 or HiMedia Q5.

i watch perfectly good 3D from my Chromebox
Thanks will do some more research.
(2015-11-15, 21:32)danfloss Wrote: i watch perfectly good 3D from my Chromebox
Not full, frame-packed 3D, only HSBS and HTAB. 3D ISO's and MVC MKV's play in 2D mode.
My Family Room Theater
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia H8 Octa & Zidoo X6 Pro: Comparative Review (RK3368 / 3D / HD Audio)3