• 10(current)
Android HiMedia H8 Octa & Zidoo X6 Pro: Comparative Review (RK3368 / 3D / HD Audio)
Have a H8 but from day one I cannot get it to play sound in kodi, it does the menu sounds and radio , but play a video and "crickets" I did not try kodi out of the box , but went straight to update it via google store, I have tried every option / toggle I can find in the H8 and kodi with no luck. Currently its sitting with no kodi on it, I also did a reset but no luck either via the reset on the back.

Just wondering the best way to approach getting it working from here, as its a nice fast little box

many thanks,

Glenn
There are new firmwares for both X6 and H8; need to test...

- Latest X6 v1.0.30 firmware
- Latest H8 v1.0.9 firmware
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Awesome thanks I'll rock that see what it does
(2016-01-15, 14:13)Reardon Wrote: Have a H8 but from day one I cannot get it to play sound in kodi, it does the menu sounds and radio , but play a video and "crickets" I did not try kodi out of the box , but went straight to update it via google store, I have tried every option / toggle I can find in the H8 and kodi with no luck. Currently its sitting with no kodi on it, I also did a reset but no luck either via the reset on the back.

Just wondering the best way to approach getting it working from here, as its a nice fast little box

many thanks,

Glenn

You have to use kodi from himedia. It's custom. Kodi from Google play store is not fully compatible with H8.
When you install the latest HiMedia firmware via recovery (pin in reset hole), their custom Kodi is pre-installed.
My Family Room Theater
done and working thank you
(2016-01-15, 16:06)hdmkv Wrote: There are new firmwares for both X6 and H8; need to test...

- Latest X6 v1.0.30 firmware
- Latest H8 v1.0.9 firmware

Someone can tell me what the difference between the firmware "futeko" 1.0.9 and the original 1.0.9 firmware from himedia page?
Thanks
Likely the same, but I'd go with the Futeko one as you're assured it's for the English market, not China/Asia market (sometimes firmwares can be different).
My Family Room Theater
Hi all.
I'm planning to buy H8 octa core to replace my alwinner i9 (alwinner h3 cpu) quad due to pre installed kodi 15.1 in i9 cannot be updated to latest version (either 15.2 or jarvis 16 beta 5).
Here is my question, does h8 allow kodi to be update to the latest version or not?

thanks in advance.
Good news... HiMedia H8's v1.0.9 firmware is a big improvement. Didn't think it'd happen on this, or any Rockchip 3368 box... anyway, will get to Zidoo X6's v1.0.30 firmware in a bit, which is now worse off between the two, but first...

With HiMedia H8 and v1.0.9 firmware:
  • No more lip synch! When you skip or chapter ahead, there's 1-2 seconds of speed-up, but video/audio re-synchs back up quickly & playback continues fine.
  • HD audio pop & crackles are gone! HD audio playing well: TrueHD, ATMOS, and DTS-MA. LPCM 5.1/7.1 is still output as 2.0 however.
  • 3D ISO's & MVC MKV's both play properly in full, frame-packed mode.
  • PQ is good (a B+), but a little dull/flat as always (same as with Zidoo's X6, I think to be expected with RK3368). Not as vibrant as HiMedia Q5 w/its Imprex engine or even RPi2's unadulterated, natural PQ.
  • There's no 23.976, but 24fps works, auto-switches fine. Slight microstutters every so often & ever-so subtle judders are noticeable, especially when you're actively examining the video playback.
  • Macroblocking & occasional video freeze/break-up/resume is still there, but better than before. This happens with 'Avatar' 3D ISO. I've re-ripped my disc 3 different times, and same issue, so it isn't the disc or rip (as it plays fine on RPi2 & HiMedia Q5). On the other hand, 'Captain America 2' 3D ISO plays perfectly for example.
I'm raising H8's grade to a B now (from a C+). BTW, under video acceleration, disable all but the two Rockchip options. So, only enable 'rockchipcodec' & 'rockchipcodec23976'. If not, Kodi crashes fairly often & playback results aren't as good as what I've described above.

With Zidoo X6 v1.0.30 firmware:
  • Same as above, except annoying audio synch persists in every frickin' video!
  • Macroblocking is slightly worse than H8's.
Keeping X6's grade at C+ as the audio synch is a major annoyance. It's funny how Zidoo picked up Koying's MVC hack, and was first to use it & offer a custom Kodi with 3D. Then comes HiMedia & copies Zidoo, and always seemed a step or two behind... until now that is Smile. Um, Zidoo, maybe consider copying your copier HiMedia Wink.
My Family Room Theater
hdmkv, where is HiMedia's up to date Github modified Kodi code sources ?

All I'm seeing is code that is overs two months old, and is now not GPL compliant.
https://github.com/himedia-kodi/himedia-kodi-15.2

If they are going to release up dated modified versions of Kodi, then they need to also update their GitHub code in sync with these updated versions. This is easy for them to actually do.

(2016-01-17, 22:42)creggy5284 Wrote: Hi all.
I'm planning to buy H8 octa core to replace my alwinner i9 (alwinner h3 cpu) quad due to pre installed kodi 15.1 in i9 cannot be updated to latest version (either 15.2 or jarvis 16 beta 5).
Here is my question, does h8 allow kodi to be update to the latest version or not?

thanks in advance.

I had a Zidoo X6 before (sold) and later I bought a Himedia H8.

I can say to you, stay away from Rockchip chipsets specially this RK3368, there are still too many bugs, every firmware solve something however destroy other things. Besides the RK3368 spec are high, it do not deliver as expected.
@wrxtasy, I don't know about updated code sharing, but they're still on custom Kodi 15.2 on H8. While Zidoo is on Kodi 16-something with X6.
My Family Room Theater
I'm interested to hear how the zidoo 1.0.30 goes I'm hoping off a bit as the zidoo forum is not positive about it. Most blaming the change to kodi 16 beta 4
Could be, maybe they should've stuck to 15.x and resolved the major issues before jumping onto a new build w/new variables.
My Family Room Theater
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia H8 Octa & Zidoo X6 Pro: Comparative Review (RK3368 / 3D / HD Audio)3