Scraping TV Shows crashes Kodi
Summary: This is an iMac that has successfully run XBMC in the past with two library directories: Movies and TV_Shows. The machine isn't used frequently, making it hard to pinpoint exactly when the problem arose. XBMC 13 had been working fine. Something that changed on the machine (without updating XBMC) caused it to crash every time a TV Show scan was started. The problem wasn't a priority to track down and persisted through several updates of both the OS and XBMC/Kodi. It's now become annoying enough to track down.

Details:

Problem: Kodi crashes when scanning TV_Show directory
Steps to reproduce the problem: Scan for new TV shows. Startup scan causes this crash, causing Kodi to never start unless I disable scanning on startup or the TV_Shows library item
OS X Version: Yosemite 10.10.5 (the problem occurred through several OS updates going back to at least Mavericks)
Platform: iMac 27" Mid 2012
Kodi version: 16.0.alpha4 (Git-20151101-7a58dcb) [problem started in XBMC 13 and persisted across stable Kodi versions 14 and 15]

Crash report: http://pastebin.com/xQDMy8X9
Kodi.log: http://pasted.co/6493bf8b
Kodi.old.log: http://pasted.co/5ba62a70

I think this is something I must have changed on the machine because it worked on one launch and then started failing the next launch without updating XBMC. I tried multiple versions of Kodi and did a complete uninstall using "AppZapper" which hunts down and deletes all related files. Both TV and Movie directories reside on the same Thecus NAS and are accessed in the OS X system via AFP. Although there are a lot of errors related to the MythTV PVR plugin, this began before I enabled that plugin. Disabling and uninstalling it had no effect on the problem.

Please let me know if I can provide more information to help squash this bug. We'd really like to be able to view TV Shows on this machine.
I'm still experiencing this error on Kodi 16.1 and OS X 10.11.6. My other volumes scan fine, but something in the TV_Shows directory is causing Kodi to crash as soon as it starts to scan. I tried changing the name to TVShows in case it didn't like the underscore; no dice. What else can I check?
Other than the MythTV PVR issues, the debug hasn't shown much in the way of TV Show scanning, although the last one ends with
VideoInfoScanner: Adding new item to tvshows:/Volumes/TV_Shows/The IT Crowd/ ERROR: Texture manager unable to load image from memory

From my experience, this kind of problem is the result of some corrupt or foreign file (sometimes masquerading as an .nfo file) in the folder. I've also seen corrupt libraries that give this kind of result. I would be tempted to try an update with the TV source offline, (make sure you have exported to separate files as a back-up and switch your scraper to 'local information only'.) do a library clean-up. At this point your set-up should run fine without a TV library? Then go back and add the source for a re-scan locally If this fails, then there is some file the scraper doesn't like in the source.

Updating or removing videos (wiki) This wiki, should be read prior to the above.
Thanks, I'm seeing the same thing as you. I went in and scanned the directories one by one. I found three that cause the segfault while the others are scanning fine. I'll go through and clean out all the .nfo, .tbn, etc files created by Ember Media Manager long ago. The strange thing is Kodi on my Linux computer scans the same directories just fine, but Kodi for Mac crashes. Hopefully cleaning everything but the media files will fix the problem. Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scraping TV Shows crashes Kodi0