DTS HD using Chromebox or Intel NUC?
Sad 
Hi all,
For 5 years I've been enjoying my Revo R3700(Intel atom + NVidia ION), lately connected to my new Marantz NR1504, for watching 2D 1080p MKV using DTS HD...until last sunday ...it was fried by a lightning storm Sad
Now I was wondering which new piece of hardware I have to buy. I have read threads about chomebox and Intel NUCs but I cannot get if, using one os those devices, I can get DTS HD.

Anyone can confirm this?

Thanks!
I have a chromebox with openelec and DTS HD work fine
Thanks for your reply!!!
If you're buying new now I would go for the AsRock BeeBox

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=227363
Under OpenElec (and other Linux distros with a bit of work) Celeron 2955U Chromeboxes (and other 2955U/2957U boxes) and Intel NUCs of pretty much every flavour will bitstream DTS-HD (and Dolby True HD).

Under Windows some of the lower end N2820 and similar NUCs have issues due to a lack of HD Audio friendly HDMI drivers (there are some combinations that work in some cases) - though with the newer versions of Kodi offering DTS-HD/Dolby True HD decode to PCM this may be moot (as you will get lossless decode to PCM multichannel which is supported) as an option for HD Audio other than bitstreaming.
@dave77: I'll check it, thanks!

@noggin: Thanks too! I'll use OpenElec for Kodi, but using my old Revo I was using Win7 for playing UltraStar. Perhaps I'll install Ubuntu + openelec using dual boot on my new hw. I will buy it with an Intel i3 CPU, so cpu is not a problem Smile
Some other questions :
- is WOL supported by chromebox? And by nuc?
- what about noise? Which one is quieter?
- does chromebox boot from SD / usb? For installing Openelec in an usb drive or SD card.

Thanks!
(2015-11-19, 22:57)nabz Wrote: Some other questions :
- is WOL supported by chromebox? And by nuc?
- what about noise? Which one is quieter?
- does chromebox boot from SD / usb? For installing Openelec in an usb drive or SD card.

Thanks!
Chromebox wiki page answers all of these, except the fan noise, which is pretty much equivalent
Hi Matt,
thanks for your reply! I've checked the wiki and, sadly, I've read chromebox won't wake up using WOL after powering off (I don't want sleep nor hibernate). Does anyone know if NUC can do it?

Thanks!
(2015-11-20, 23:19)nabz Wrote: Hi Matt,
thanks for your reply! I've checked the wiki and, sadly, I've read chromebox won't wake up using WOL after powering off (I don't want sleep nor hibernate). Does anyone know if NUC can do it?

Thanks!
Can I ask why? Seems somewhat arbitrary
Hi again,
Sure! I don't like sleep or hibernate mode. Using my old Revo I used to use Yatse WOL to turn it on from the sofa , and I want to do the same with my new device. Perhaps it seems a dumb question, but when you're lying on the sofa, it's very annoying to have to get up again to press the power button ... Tongue
(2015-11-21, 00:36)nabz Wrote: Hi again,
Sure! I don't like sleep or hibernate mode.

that's what I was asking 'why' to.

Quote: Using my old Revo I used to use Yatse WOL to turn it on from the sofa , and I want to do the same with my new device. Perhaps it seems a dumb question, but when you're lying on the sofa, it's very annoying to have to get up again to press the power button ... Tongue

exactly, so just wake it from sleep with Yatse (or IR remote, or BT remote, etc)
I had an script for checking if my 5.1 is switched on our not (marantz nr 1504 has network connection). When it is running, the script modifies audio configuration from 2.0 to 5.1 and from 5.1 to 2.0 when I turn it off...
If I use sleep or hibernate mode I get errors when running kodi from SD and it needs to use btfrs for avoiding problems, but it's experimental and sometimes I got strange behaviors. After powering the box off completely I never got those problems anymore.

Thanks!
sounds like you're doing a lot of things the hard way for no real benefit. You could always leave the box on 24/7, since it draws all of a couple watts at idle
The Asus Chromebox is super quiet. You can get a fanless Zotac Zbox C series which is zero decibels, and it's available as either a Barebones or complete kit with everything from a Celeron to an i5.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS HD using Chromebox or Intel NUC?0