[SOLVED][Cubox ie2x] No HD Audio on Passthrough (OpenElec / Geexbox / Xbian)
Hello

I recently got a cubox ie2x and on trying the latest builds on OpenElec, GeexBox and Xbian DTS-HD MA just refuses to give any sound on passthrough (Unable to test TrueHD).
My amplifier is a onkyo HT-R558 and my blu-ray player as well as laptop bit stream perfectly to it. It can process 7.1 streams but outputs in 5.1
I know the cubox-i is capable of passing through the audio as there are multiple people it works fine with however they seem to have 7.1 amplifiers.
"Support 8 Channel DTS HD Decoding" does work, DTS works on passthrough and so on.

I have tested multiple videos that use DTS-HD, all with the same result.
Please find kodi log, kernel trace, screenshot of my options (Have tried them all though)

Options
http://imgur.com/a/ploSJ

Kodi Log
http://pastebin.com/AtaFMy14

Kernel Trace
http://pastebin.com/xvSEXEiH

All help appreciated

Thanks in advance
Can you post a sample of the problem file, say 5 minutes or something.
Whilst I am unable to post a piece of that file the details of it are below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VIDEO
CODEC : AVC
TYPE : 1080p (Progressive)
FRAME RATE : 23.976 fps
DISPLAY ASPECT RATIO : 16:9
FORMAT PROFILE LEVEL : [email protected]
BITRATE : 34.0 Mbps
WIDTH x HEIGHT : 1920 x 1080 pixels

AUDIO (1)
CODEC : DTS-HD Master Audio
LANGUAGE : English
CHANNEL(S) : 7.1
BITRATE : 3291 kbps
SAMPLING RATE : 48 KHz
BIT DEPTH : 24 bits
OTHER INFO : DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit

AUDIO (2)
CODEC : AC-3
LANGUAGE : English
CHANNEL(S) : 2.0
BITRATE : 320 kbps
SAMPLING RATE : 48 KHz
BIT DEPTH : 24 bits
OTHER INFO : Audio commentary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However other samples which did not work can be gotten from

http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/xcvb
DTS HD-Master Audio Sound Check 5.1 (Lossless)
DTS HD-Master Audio Sound Check 7.1 (Lossless)

Basically if its DTS-HD MA regardless of channels, it doesnt work.
SOLVED

It was the distro for the cubox, the distro creator for geexbox had to patch the kernel to report 8 channels back from AVR's that reported 6 channel but supported DTS-HD.

At time of posting this is not in a publically available distro
Im testing with

Living World of Audio v1 (Lossless) 0:49 139,0MB DTS-HD MA 7.1 1080/23.97p
Amazing Life (Lossless) 0:44 108,0MB DTS-HD MA 5.1 1080/23.97p

Both glorious audio coming out the spearkers so it works here fine, maybe your hardware or setup no idea.

Maybe fritsch has some idea, wait for his feedback.
Fritsch gave up on everything IMX related ... it has wasted my time for too long.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Full edit main post and mark as solved then, starnge your solution since you calim that OE and Other OS didnt work and it was a Kernel issue? anyway. +1 reason to stay away from toys for HTPC usage (grin)
But yeah:
Quote:59:21 4223.379395 T:1954070528 NOTICE: m_channels : FL,FR,LFE,FC,BL,BR
21:59:21 4223.379395 T:1954070528 NOTICE: m_sampleRates : 32000,44100,48000,88200,96000,176400,192000

^^ that's what your AVR is reporting. We need 8 channels + 192 khz to try to open DTS-HD, TrueHD
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Is this a grey-area? Does a 5.1-only amp that accepts True HD and DTS HD MA bitstreams, but doesn't accept 7.1 PCM exist? If so - would it not report that it accepted True HD and DTS-HD in EDID, but possibly not that it accepted 7.1 192kHz - even if it handles the bandwidth fine (just doesn't want to advertise 7.1 when it only handles 5.1?) To be fair I'd expect 5.1-only amps to accept 7.1 PCM and down-mix - but maybe not all of them do? (Though they would have to with a DTS-HD or True HD 7.1 track...)
Some AVRs just tell 6 channels - if you have only 5.1 speakers connected ...
(2015-11-18, 01:12)noggin Wrote: Is this a grey-area? Does a 5.1-only amp that accepts True HD and DTS HD MA bitstreams, but doesn't accept 7.1 PCM exist? If so - would it not report that it accepted True HD and DTS-HD in EDID, but possibly not that it accepted 7.1 192kHz - even if it handles the bandwidth fine (just doesn't want to advertise 7.1 when it only handles 5.1?) To be fair I'd expect 5.1-only amps to accept 7.1 PCM and down-mix - but maybe not all of them do? (Though they would have to with a DTS-HD or True HD 7.1 track...)

I really don't think a amp that accepts True HD or DTS-HD MA but only 5.1 channel input would exist since 7.1 is part of the actual spec therefore if they didn't accept 7.1 they wouldn't really be compliant.
In my case my amplifier was specifying channels it output, if it was specifying input then the problem would never have happened.

Regardless I'm sure the fix will eventually make it out into the official distributions and at least it is now known that it exists.

The kernel patch being
https://github.com/OpenBricks/linux-fslc...cc66e131d9

Thanks to Rudi from OpenBricks/Geexbox for that and MK01 from XBian for much logging and diagnosis.
Yeah - we do the same on intel setups ... just enumerate the full number of speakers when there are > 2 channels found.
(2015-11-17, 23:28)fritsch Wrote: Fritsch gave up on everything IMX related ... it has wasted my time for too long.
Going soft man ! Ha Ha. You sure squeezed that little box as hard as IMX possible too.
Kodi Intel users are sure glad you are back in the warm embrace of Intel Microarchitecture once again tho Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED][Cubox ie2x] No HD Audio on Passthrough (OpenElec / Geexbox / Xbian)0