Cheap Ethernet player?
I have very little needs: I have my media files on an old NAS (ix2). I could connect both wired and wireless but prefer wired. My TV is only 1080p (just gotten one for 475 CAD, couldn't resist a 55" TV for that cheap) and the only thing I really want to play are MKV files. I don't really want to spend 100 USD for this. There are ton of devices on Aliexpress but I am clueless as to which one actually worths anything.
Raspberry Pi 2 and install OSMC or Openelec.
Nexus player is another good option
Since you said you bought your TV for $475CAD, I'm assuming you're Canadian.

I found the TicTid player on Amazon.ca (link) for $50CAD to be pretty good.

I chose this one because I wanted a digital coax output to my stereo, since I can't take HDMI audio. If you don't care about that, there are other S805 MXQ based boxes that run Kodi with different outputs (TOSLink, HDMI only, etc).
BIG TIP:

If you just want to use this player a cheap Kodi only device, then get a RPi2 or ODROID C1+ and run OpenELEC / Kodi on it.
Forget about a dirt cheap Android boxes from Asia, its virtually guaranteed you will end up with a piece of junk with many Firmware problems.

If you really have to run Android, then the only Boxes recommended:
Nexus Player
WeTek Core
nVIDIA Shield

I don't need Android really, I have been running Linux since 1993, I could run one from CLI, it is actually preferred Smile The ODROID C1+ seems a very good choice, I was obviously aware of the RPi2 but Ethernet-over-USB, meh. I have been seeing this odroid things for years now yesterday somehow didn't connect in my brain that they are not just maker things but obviously videoplayers as well.

I wanted to ask about hardware acceleration but http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=16141 and http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=16520 answers it. Very nice, one ODROID C1+ incoming Smile
(2015-11-18, 09:57)chx1975 Wrote: I was obviously aware of the RPi2 but Ethernet-over-USB, meh.

In reality, this isn't an issue for media playback (the bit rates for even unrecompressed 3D Blu-rays are low enough not to be a problem) It would be an issue if you were using the Pi 2 as a NAS or some other high I/O bandwidth device, but media playback isn't such an application.

The C1+ is a good device - though the Pi 2 outperforms it in 3D playback and HD Audio functionality (the C1+ is limited to DD/DTS and PCM 2.0 output over HDMI, whereas the Pi and Pi 2 support 8 channel PCM output, allowing for almost all DTS-HD and Dolby True HD content to be losslessly decoded), and the Pi 2 has a better CEC implementation. The C1+ outperforms the PI 2 in HEVC terms, and also has a higher bandwidth network/USB system.

Both are good (I have a C1 and a number of Pi 2s - but mainly use the Pis) - but I wouldn't have worried about the Ethernet/USB issues for the Pi 2, as they appear to be a non-issue in media player terms.
Just be aware.
Known video playback issues with all AMLogic SoC devices:

mpeg2 Interlaced content in .vob files will not play properly. These .vob files are common with some old ISO DVD Rips.
29.97fps VC-1 content plays with microstutters, 23.976fps VC-1 is fine. (A bunch of platforms have issues with this one)

@ chx1975
All you really need with the C1+ is the board, case and a usb to otg power cord. It happily runs from a usb Phone charger. It is a bit picky about HDMI cables however, possibly buy one with the device.
It also pretty easy to custom map any IR remote control for use with OpenELEC via Lirc too. I use spare buttons on my TV remote control, its extremely responsive. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap Ethernet player?0