Best 4k kodi player?
Hello guys,

I'm really in doubt about the best 4K player.
I'm intresting in a 4k player to play my local content...not streaming from netflix and so on.
I saw the nvidia shield tv. Do you agree that it is the best 4K player? It seems to me to pay a lot for the gaming capability which I am not interested
What sort of 4K codecs ?
H264/AVC
HEVC
VP9

HD Audio to go with that ?
What about 10-bit ?

HDMI 2.0 ?
50/60Hz output at 4K ?
Most movies will be 23.976/24Hz output and then only on certain devices should be used for smooth video sync.

How far do you sit from the TV, as you may be deceived by fancy marketing bullshit ?

(2015-11-19, 13:50)Maverikkk Wrote: Hello guys,

I'm really in doubt about the best 4K player.
I'm intresting in a 4k player to play my local content...not streaming from netflix and so on.
I saw the nvidia shield tv. Do you agree that it is the best 4K player? It seems to me to pay a lot for the gaming capability which I am not interested

I'd wait a bit. 4K, HDMI 2.0 and HEVC support is still in the early stages.
It continue to amaze me, when people think that 150$ is expensive to watch 4K..

They should enquiry some companies about the price for the Pro-equipment to 4K broadcast or at least search on the internet to get the idea of estimate price cost per episode to shoot in 4K
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2015-11-19, 14:16)couto27 Wrote: It continuos to amaze me, when people think that 150$ is expensive to watch 4K..

They should enquiry some companies about the price for the Pro-equipment to 4K broadcast or at least search on the internet to get the idea of estimate episode cost to shoot in 4K

Tell me about it. Friends of mine work on one of the first 4K Outside Broadcast units in the UK. Sony HDC4300s and 4K-broadcast lenses are not cheap...
(2015-11-19, 14:17)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-19, 14:16)couto27 Wrote: It continuos to amaze me, when people think that 150$ is expensive to watch 4K..

They should enquiry some companies about the price for the Pro-equipment to 4K broadcast or at least search on the internet to get the idea of estimate episode cost to shoot in 4K

Tell me about it. Friends of mine work on one of the first 4K Outside Broadcast units in the UK. Sony HDC4300s and 4K-broadcast lenses are not cheap...

but can't they use them over and over again?
Usually I play h264 and h265 with 23.976 and 24Hz.
I have 55'' ultra hd tv.
My amplifier doesn't support hd audio.

Since 1 month ago I have used minix x8-h plus...now it is broken.

(2015-11-19, 13:57)wrxtasy Wrote: What sort of 4K codecs ?
H264/AVC
HEVC
VP9

HD Audio to go with that ?
What about 10-bit ?

HDMI 2.0 ?
50/60Hz output at 4K ?
Most movies will be 23.976/24Hz output and then only on certain devices should be used for smooth video sync.

How far do you sit from the TV, as you may be deceived by fancy marketing bullshit ?

3 Choices really with those Codecs and 23.976fps

Android only = nVIDIA Shield
Android / OpenELEC = WeTek Core or another MINIX NEO X8-H+
Linux / OpenELEC only = Intel Braswell platform

Note: the WeTek Core when it is eventually released will give you 1080p HD copy protected video streaming which the MINIX gear will not.

Nvidia shield vs minix x8hplus plus.
Which has in your opinion the best quality?
Here in Italy that have 85€ gap
Define "best quality" ?

Both will play 23.976fps / 4K H264 / HEVC just fine as you already know with the MINIX gear.
nVIDIA of course will be a bit faster with the Kodi GUI and Android TV OS.

Is a faster, fancier Android TV OS worth 85€ to you ?

The shield has hardware specs built-in for the next years to come.

Its very likelly to full Support UltraHd bluray playback.

HDMI 2.0a (by firmware release)
HDR (by firmware release)
HDCP 2.2
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

What about the quality in terms of video processor? In other topics I read different opinion...one of the best video processor should be the one mounted on q5
(2015-11-19, 14:16)couto27 Wrote: It continue to amaze me, when people think that 150$ is expensive to watch 4K..

They should enquiry some companies about the price for the Pro-equipment to 4K broadcast or at least search on the internet to get the idea of estimate price cost per episode to shoot in 4K

But there are many phones and action camera that films in 4k. And Netflix, m-go, Youtube in 4k, megapixel race at it's best.
For vast majority of users marketing already won, they don't care that a bluray has better image than a lousy bitrate Netflix (not to mention jokes like clips from phones).
For few users even new 4k bluray titles announced by Sony and Fox are funny: if you check many titles are not filmed with 4k cameras, so it's an ordinary upscale (similar to ordinary 3d postprocessing instead filming with 3D cameras).
No current player is foolproof for all 4k formats, Shield is cheap enough to buy and have 4k/60p for many formats.
The prime function of a media player is to read and be a transport of audio + vídeo, if possible dont mess with it, let the expensive gear (audio/av receiver) handle the content (vídeo/TV/vídeo processor).

1-get your content right, avoid compressed vídeo or audio.
2- calibrate your TV
3- get proper av receiver to decode HD audio
4- get good set of speakers

Without the above ingredients you are wasting time deciding between 100$ player and 200$ player, simple because you will not take advantage of the source capacities.

Double post

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best 4k kodi player?0