Win [Solved] nVidia only crash on pause and/or OSD in Windows 10
Update: As stated here, I'm not having any problems whatsoever on my HTPC. Could this be nVidia related?

Update 2: Fresh install of Win10 didn't solve the issue either.

Update 3: Somewhat solved the issue by switching to Software decoding and rendering.

Update 4: According to zmonkey reverting to Nvidia drivers 358.50 seems to also solve the problem.

Update 5: Starting from Nvidia driver 361.43 everything seems to be working OK.

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, my Kodi crashes (randomly) whenever the OSD appears during playback, generally when I PAUSE and sometimes even when I just move the mouse on the screen. Audio keeps running, and sometimes I can hear the GUI responding to key presses, but the image is just frozen and I can only quit by force closing Kodi through the Task Manager.

It looks like a D3D problem; the full error log can be seen here: http://pastebin.com/FfYU2JYc

I'm running Kodi in portable mode (had to remove it from the "Program Files (x86)" folder under Win10 because of write access issues).

Running on two cloned displays: an Iiyama monitor and a Samsung TV (through an Onkyo Amp).

All my media is on a NAS and shared via SMB.

I tried running in true full screen and fullscreen window, also tried running in Win7 compatibility mode.

I was running Helix, and reinstalled it over the old installation. I also upgraded to Isengard (full installation with all dependencies) and did a fresh reinstall of the graphics driver.

I've been using this setup for years without any problems. Nothing seems to work, don't really know what else I can do.

I also have some crash dumps if that can help (where do I upload them?). The stack trace that goes with the previous log is:
Code:
Thread 1172 (process 3028)
# 0 RtlEnterCriticalSection
# 1
# 2
# 3
# 4
# 5
# 6
# 7
# 8 BaseThreadInitThunk
# 9 RtlUnicodeStringToInteger
#10 RtlUnicodeStringToInteger

Your help is greatly appreciated.
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
I have the same problem, this occured after win 10 update, but threshold 2 update made it even worse.
Update:

I tried compatibilty mode in Win8 and Win Vista, running as admin, resintalling DX10; nothing seems to work.

I'd really like to have some feedback, help or just suggestions before I attempt a clean reinstall of the OS.

It's a real bother to have to overhaul or rollback an entire OS just because of one application not working properly Smile
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
Hi,

I have the same problem since Windows 10 was upgraded to the latest version released on November 12, crashes when I stop or pause a movie or if ahead or behind, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing today proves to Kodi DX11 version to see if it manages. Sad
I was actually thinking of trying out the DX11 version before resetting my Win10 install.

I'm curious to see if it works for you (and I'll update here with whatever happens with me).
(2015-11-24, 18:02)LarrxX Wrote: I was actually thinking of trying out the DX11 version before resetting my Win10 install.

I'm curious to see if it works for you (and I'll update here with whatever happens with me).
Hi,

Install the DX11 version and voila, bye problems, it works well so far.
Yeah, I watched a 45 minute episode with the DX11 version yesterday, pausing extensively, and no crashes...

...but Kodi randomly either crashes when task switching (Alt-Tab to check my email) or has display problems (black screen, disapperaing thumbnails and art).

So not a perfect solution, but it should be fine as long as I remember not to task switch.

I'll report my problems in the DX11 thread and here's hoping a more stable DX11 version comes out soon...
@dA_vO I'm curious did you try the Jarvis beta?
(2015-11-25, 22:40)LarrxX Wrote: @dA_vO I'm curious did you try the Jarvis beta?
Hi, not yet, and you?
Nope. I'm having so many problems with the DX11 version though.

I'll try and give the Jarvis beta a try, but I can't see anywhere if it uses DX11 or not. Do you know if it does?
DX11 version is definitely not a solution for me, I keep losing the image at random, end up with a black screen. This sucks!

Maybe Jarvis? But I'm not very optimistic about it.

It's weird nobody has any input about all this...
Been running tests all night on my HTPC, an HP 260 G1 and everything's running perfectly (Windows 10 64bit upgraded from Windows 7, Kodi Isengard). No crash, no glitching nothing.

Using the same advancedsettings.xml as my PC on which I'm having problems, streaming from the same NAS on the same network.

Could my original problems on my PC be nVidia related? If so any ideas on tweaking application specific settings in the nVidia control panel to try and solve the problem?
(2015-11-26, 23:53)LarrxX Wrote: DX11 version is definitely not a solution for me, I keep losing the image at random, end up with a black screen. This sucks!

Maybe Jarvis? But I'm not very optimistic about it.

It's weird nobody has any input about all this...
I also like going to the DX11 version, also I have NVidia Sad
Did a fresh install of win 10 and kodi, seems to work now
When you say "fresh install" do you mean "reset PC" from your Win10 upgrade or did you reinstall win10 from scratch?

Because I tried a PC reset and it didn't solve my problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] nVidia only crash on pause and/or OSD in Windows 103