Most reliable KODI Remote Control?
(2015-11-21, 23:51)bry- Wrote: What is your budget?

Budget isn't a problem, although I don't really want to spend a ton on a remote solution. Under $100 I reckon.
(2015-11-21, 23:53)Tinwarble Wrote: You need to set up the remote/Hub with a Smartphone, but once you have everything configured you just use the remote.

When you set it up for you PC, you just add a Windows PC (bluetooth) device which will make it work like a MCE remote.

Also, right now Amazon has them on sale for $99. That may seem like a lot for a remote, but keep in mind that it controls more than one device also.

Yeah, I get yah. It's a nice looking remote and I kinda figured it work that way. Remote isn't too greatly reviewed, but most aren't. I need a super smart remote, one that reads my mind! How is the responsiveness on this remote when moving left or right compared to a keyboard.

Truth is, I'll only using thee TV buttons. Power, Volume and AV! LOL!
(2015-11-21, 23:58)BlackRose Wrote: Yeah, I get yah. It's a nice looking remote and I kinda figured it work that way. Remote isn't too greatly reviewed, but most aren't. I need a super smart remote, one that reads my mind! How is the responsiveness on this remote when moving left or right compared to a keyboard.

It's not "too greatly reviewed"? 4 stars on Amazon out of 1,712 reviews (75% rate as 4 stars or higher) is about the best you're going to get. Wink

Responsiveness, especially using bluetooth, is pretty fast. I wouldn't say instantaneous, but it's pretty close.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-11-22, 00:06)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-11-21, 23:58)BlackRose Wrote: Yeah, I get yah. It's a nice looking remote and I kinda figured it work that way. Remote isn't too greatly reviewed, but most aren't. I need a super smart remote, one that reads my mind! How is the responsiveness on this remote when moving left or right compared to a keyboard.

It's not "too greatly reviewed"? 4 stars on Amazon out of 1,712 reviews (75% rate as 4 stars or higher) is about the best you're going to get. Wink

Responsiveness, especially using bluetooth, is pretty fast. I wouldn't say instantaneous, but it's pretty close.

Never trust Amazon reviews. Trust Google Smile

Wish the layout on Logitech remotes were better. Too many buttons which would mean nothing in my day to day! My setup is heavenly efficient, so no need to be all that universal.
(2015-11-22, 00:10)BlackRose Wrote: Never trust Amazon reviews. Trust Google Smile

Wish the layout on Logitech remotes were better. Too many buttons which would mean nothing in my day to day! My setup is heavenly efficient, so no need to be all that universal.

I trust neither Amazon or Google and take reviews with a grain of salt. Big Grin You have to actually read the reviews to know whether the bad or the good are made by idiots.

How many, less buttons do you need? I'd rather have the buttons and not need them, than need them and not have them. You're setup my be efficient........but I can update my Video and Music libraries with one press of the button. Wink

Do you not need the normal playback buttons, play/pause, stop, FF/RW? Do you not need the Menu button to pull up the context menu every now and then? Do you not need the Info button to pull up the info on a movie? Do you not need the exit/back button to go back in the UI? Do you not need the direction or select buttons to navigate?

With the exception of those, the only things left really are the 4 color buttons and the number buttons.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-11-22, 00:19)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-11-22, 00:10)BlackRose Wrote: Never trust Amazon reviews. Trust Google Smile

I trust neither Amazon or Google and take reviews with a grain of salt. Big Grin You have to actually read the reviews to know whether the bad or the good are made by idiots.

How many, less buttons do you need? I'd rather have the buttons and not need them, than need them and not have them. You're setup my be efficient........but I can update my Video and Music libraries with one press of the button. Wink

LOL! Yeah your so right! They should have an idiot disclaimer like the spoiler disclaimer they have on so many sites!

Anyhow, I guess this remote is a great idea. Was thinking of a remote with a keyboard, coz it can be a pain scrolling through 5000 albums or movies with left or right, or using the search without a keyboard. But this is a good recommendation. Haven't had good experiences with Harmony remotes and I'm kinda still hurt, LOL! But if nothing else good is recommended or Black Friday forces my hand, may just start another Harmony story, hopefully with a better outcome!
How about getting a second device to act as a keyboard? I ordered a cheap airmouse with a keyboard to have around when needed. Although, I found that the numeric keys in my harmony act like a T9 keyboard in Kodi, which is pretty convenient.
(2015-11-22, 12:05)joazito Wrote: How about getting a second device to act as a keyboard? I ordered a cheap airmouse with a keyboard to have around when needed. Although, I found that the numeric keys in my harmony act like a T9 keyboard in Kodi, which is pretty convenient.

Which harmony you use. Oh, you said the Smart One. That sounds sweet. Wonder if all of them do that. Still have a harmony 650 lying around. May try it with a Flirc instead of buying a new one.
(2015-11-22, 13:53)BlackRose Wrote:
(2015-11-22, 12:05)joazito Wrote: How about getting a second device to act as a keyboard? I ordered a cheap airmouse with a keyboard to have around when needed. Although, I found that the numeric keys in my harmony act like a T9 keyboard in Kodi, which is pretty convenient.

Which harmony you use. Oh, you said the Smart One. That sounds sweet. Wonder if all of them do that. Still have a harmony 650 lying around. May try it with a Flirc instead of buying a new one.

Suspect it is less to do with the Harmony, more to do with the remote control it replaces, unless they all do it (but then it might not work with keyboard emulating remotes as I don't think Kodi interprets multiple keyboard number entries as triple-tap text entry?)

The MCE remote in Windows will do triple-tap (don't think there is any T9-style word prediction though - just straight forward text entry, like pre-T9 mobiles had?) with a genuine set-up, but some of the clones won't. AIUI RC6 MCE remotes send alternating key codes, allowing you to detect multiple presses of the numbers (whereas cheap knock offs emulate keyboards so always appear as multiple number key entries via a keyboard).
Yeah that's not from the Harmony, that's a Kodi feature. All remotes with a numeric keypad should work like that out of the box.

Edit: not to induce anyone in error, I just mean that you can e.g. triple tap "3" to get an "e", there is no automatic text predicting or anything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most reliable KODI Remote Control?0