Looking to upgrade from aftv 1 - Is there any reason not to buy a shield/remote?
I have been using xbmc, now kodi, for many many years. I love the program since most of my media (music, video) is local on a synology server that is hardwired with my router, receiver and 'xbmc box' right at the entertainment center.

Originally I had a zotac mag pc running windows 7 and xbmc with an ir remote and keyboard (had this setup for over 4-5 years). This was convenient (or so I thought) because I could use the browser and go to youtube or whatever. In reality, it was a giant pita with windows updates, streaming websites (youtube, espn, fox sports, hulu) not playing properly because the browser didn't like my video drivers or something, etc.

Last year, I purchased a fire tv because I wanted kodi, but also the other 'apps' like Espn, fox sports, pandora, etc that I could access live streams with my user/pass. Additionally, I have prime and am integrated with the amazon ecosystem.
I have enjoyed it over the past year but have two major problems.
1. Everything to do with kodi is kind of a pita - had to immediately root and stop updates, have to use a special program to sideload it on to the aftv, use the ikonotv app and overwrite, anything I push to it (keyboard.xml, other files, etc) becomes a hassle for me to learn how to use the program all over again since I don't do it that often.
2. Similarly, since aftv has its 'own' os and not really android, I can't install google music (except through kodi - which has limited functionality, gets broken a lot) or all the other android apps that haven't made it to the fire tv store (eg. cbs, other tv apps).

As such, I have been looking heavily at new xbmc boxes and am settled on the shield with remote or the new wetek core. Both of these are recommended as the latest and greatest in the stickied thread.

Besides the price, is there any reason I should not get a shield tv (note: I don't care about anything but 1080p - no 3d, no 4k at this time).
My requirements:
1. Easily install and run kodi along with ease of use in installing add-ons, pushing over keyboard maps, etc.
2. Use of all apps on android store including prime tv/movies, fox sports, espn, pandora, google music. Stream these at 720p or better.
3. Smooth and fast interface with heavy skins
4. Ability to keep 'stock' firmware and os to allow for manufacturer updates (ie. i don't want to root/jailbreak my new device)
5. Good music/ movie playback support - ie. h265, flac, etc - I don't know if this is all supported through the actual device or through kodi.
6. Future proof for 4 years? I will at most have 5.1 speakers, eventually maybe a 4k tv...nothing crazy. I am not familiar with all the 3d pass through and all that, but I don't want to get too hamstrung in the future. I also don't want to get caught with 'last year's model' just because I bought during this holiday season - though considering my first xbmc box lasted so many years, I doubt I'd be concerned.

Thoughts?
1. Kodi ca be installed and updated directly from the Play Store.
2. No, apps have to be Android TV compatible (you can sideload but that's a mixed bag). Not all apps can be installed from the Play Store and there are still some missing, however, more and more are being added every day/week.
3. Oh yeah!!!!
4. There's no need to root, and will be even less reason once the Android 6.0 update is released before the end of the year. But I'm not sure why you would want to deny updates since every update from Nvidia has brought new features and if you don't update then some apps may not even work correctly.
5. Yes and you should really read through these 2 threads:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220297

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158

6. No device and I mean nothing is future proof, especially for 4 yrs.. If you want something future proof for 4 yrs you need to invent a time machine, travel to 4 yrs from now, buy what's available then and then travel back to this time. That said, with the SATV you shouldn't need to update for at least 2 yrs, which is about the best you can hope for.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-11-21, 23:37)Tinwarble Wrote: 1. Kodi ca be installed and updated directly from the Play Store.
2. No, apps have to be Android TV compatible (you can sideload but that's a mixed bag). Not all apps can be installed from the Play Store and there are still some missing, however, more and more are being added every day/week.
3. Oh yeah!!!!
4. There's no need to root, and will be even less reason once the Android 6.0 update is released before the end of the year. But I'm not sure why you would want to deny updates since every update from Nvidia has brought new features and if you don't update then some apps may not even work correctly.
5. Yes and you should really read through these 2 threads:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220297

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158

6. No device and I mean nothing is future proof, especially for 4 yrs.. If you want something future proof for 4 yrs you need to invent a time machine, travel to 4 yrs from now, buy what's available then and then travel back to this time. That said, with the SATV you shouldn't need to update for at least 2 yrs, which is about the best you can hope for.

I will check out those threads, thanks. I have been continuing to do research and it appears the main app that people complain about having to sideload is amazon's own prime tv app. It seems like its still doable, just won't show up on the home screen. That said, I can repurpose my aftv 1 to a prime only machine...shouldn't be an issue, its not like I can return it.

I know nothing is future proof...just had to ask though Big Grin

Only question from your post - I assume the shield tv will get the marshmellow update? I have verizon - and they are notorious for not getting the latest android updates because vzw is a nazi company...so I don't want to get caught with my pants down not being able to update my new box because I didn't ask the question.
(2015-11-21, 23:48)sabre364 Wrote: Only question from your post - I assume the shield tv will get the marshmellow update? I have verizon - and they are notorious for not getting the latest android updates because vzw is a nazi company...so I don't want to get caught with my pants down not being able to update my new box because I didn't ask the question.

Yes, Nvidia has already stated that the Marshmallow (Android 6.0) update will be out before the end of the year. Hopefully, it doesn't get delayed, but Nvidia has been pretty good so far about rolling out updates.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I would be curious what you decide and if you try the Nvidia Shield. I am having the same delima,
(2015-11-22, 03:38)weedy171 Wrote: I would be curious what you decide and if you try the Nvidia Shield. I am having the same delima,
I will let you know if/when I get it. I am antsy to pick it up now but I will be out of town for a couple months starting in january so I may wait dunno.
(2015-11-22, 03:38)weedy171 Wrote: I would be curious what you decide and if you try the Nvidia Shield. I am having the same delima,

WhyHuh?

There's already a large amount of people in this forum that own and like the SATV (including myself). All you have to is read through the 2 threads I posted to get an idea if it's right for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to upgrade from aftv 1 - Is there any reason not to buy a shield/remote?0