XBMC to TV from laptop
I have a number of movies on an external hard drive that I am trying to play through an older Mac laptop. The operating system is 10.6.8, so I am using XBMC since KODI wouldn't load on the older version. I can watch the movies on the computer but I can't on the TV. I'm connected via Mini DVI to HDMI. I can't move my XBMC screen to the right to move it from the computer screen to the TV. Any help out there? Is the change in the computer, or XBMC? Thanks.[/size]
I just found your post. I've installed xbmc, then Kodi on Reapberry Pis, hundreds of Android boxes, on computers running Linux, and on PCs running various versions of Windows.
I recently tried to install it on my Macbook Pro running OSX 10.6.8 and have had zero success. I downloaded and tried 15.0 and 15.2 and even Jarvis. They all appeared to install but when I'd try to run them I kept getting the same message. I did some research on the error message and it seemed to me that Apple failed to install an important necessary library that is only available in the Developers versions. I read up and it seems I could do the fix, but it is nothing easy. I posted but have gotten no help so far on the subject. The whole forum seems to be past that. I don't understand. Fifty dollar TV boxes can run Kodi. Old PCs (I mean really old) can run it with outdated versions of Windows and on Ubuntu. I'm baffled that expensive Apples can't. I know, I always get from the Apple lovers that I'm using an ancient version of the OS and that I should get a new Mac - yes, and spend many thousands of dollars again for a system that mostly seems to be geared to people who don't know anything about computers (maybe the Developers have long figured out how to get past this, but I haven't had the time yet to figure it ous).

Anyway, it seems that you have gotten yours to work. Which version of xbmc did you install, if I may ask?

It seems that if I try to use the mac to send to the tv I'll be running into another problem, but for now I just care about getting xbmc/Kodi to run on my mac. I have TV box connected to my TV. I've had an old PC with Ubuntu loaded connected to my TV for a long time; & I can also watch on my Windows PC monitor.

I hope that 70 views on your post with zero responses is not what I have to look forward to. That doesn't bode well for a helpful forum.
The first place I would check is in System Preferences > Displays to see if the TV is recognized. Select the TV as your display and use the slider to adjust the underscan or check the box for "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" and experiment with mirroring your desktop on the TV. I'm not sure about using the TV as an extended desktop. That's something different. You'll have to use the digital/analog audio out on the laptop because DVI doesn't carry audio. Hope some of those ideas help.
Kodi 14.1 is the last version for osx 10.6.8
Got it, Thanks Phase700B In "Displays" I goofed around and at some point "Mirroring" appeared. Checked the box and I'm all good. A couple of small bugs to work out, like I have to go to the System Preferences at every startup, but I think I can get through that. Thanks again. Tatman

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC to TV from laptop0