Jarvis skin addon_data query...
Relates to 7359 (PR) and 230318 (thread).

This is a great idea - but for some reason settings written in the skin folders in addon_data are not following the same easy-to-follow pattern that was previously seen in guisettings.xml. This makes it very hard to follow / troubleshoot / edit a settings.xml.

To give a very simple example, here are the confluence strings from 15.2 in guisettings...
Code:
<setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.CustomBackgroundPath"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeVideosButton1"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeVideosButton2"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeVideosButton3"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeVideosButton4"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeVideosButton5"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeMusicButton1"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeMusicButton2"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeMusicButton3"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeMusicButton4"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeMusicButton5"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomePictureButton1"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomePictureButton2"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomePictureButton3"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomePictureButton4"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomePictureButton5"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeProgramButton1"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeProgramButton2"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeProgramButton3"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeProgramButton4"></setting>
        <setting type="string" name="skin.confluence.HomeProgramButton5"></setting>
Easy to follow, logically set out, lovely.

After applying Jarvis Beta 2, here are the same strings from addon_data/confluence/settings.xml:
Code:
<setting id="HomeProgramButton4" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeMusicButton3" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeVideosButton2" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeVideosButton1" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomePictureButton5" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeMusicButton1" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomePictureButton1" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeVideosButton3" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomePictureButton3" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeMusicButton5" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeProgramButton3" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeMusicButton4" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeProgramButton1" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeProgramButton2" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeProgramButton5" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeVideosButton5" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeVideosButton4" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomePictureButton4" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomePictureButton2" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeMusicButton2" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="CustomBackgroundPath" type="string"></setting>
That's just not nice!

Obviously the above isn't a big problem, but I'm now looking at 768 lines in my xonfluence xml, and I'm guessing other skins are significantly bigger than that.
Hopefully this is a bug (and an easily solved one) rather than by design?
so your question isHuh

You want to switch ID and STRING ?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I want to be able to find things in settings.xml as easily as I could in guisettings.xml.
ID and STRING are nothing to do with it.
I'd like the settings.xml to follow some logical order, like guisettings did.
eg if it were to read...
Code:
<setting id="HomeVideosButton1" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeVideosButton2" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeVideosButton3" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeVideosButton4" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeVideosButton5" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeMusicButton1" type="string"></setting>
    <setting id="HomeMusicButton2" type="string"></setting>
etc
then it would be as easy to follow as before.
As it is it looks as though settings are now jumbled up in no particular order - before the change they were sorted beautifully.
so you want the IDs sorted by name
I think I must be missing something here. Am I the only person who looked at skinsettings in guisettings.xml?
There was a sorting, it was great, it made it easy to follow. Now when you look in settings.xml it's all over the place.
Some thought presumably went into how skin settings were sorted in guisettings.xml - and for whatever reason that's changed. What was intuitive now isn't.
Sorting strings alphabetically before writing settings.xml would group things together, I guess. But if you don't see the point then maybe it's just me.
It's easy enough to sort the strings alphabetically with notepad++ for my purposes - it just seemed that the new (unsorted?) format makes it harder for anyone to follow what's going on in the xml.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jarvis skin addon_data query...0