• 8(current)
Does timeshift actually work for any of you?
In TVH, the duration of the recording is set as soon as the recording starts; this information is taken from the EPG in TVH's database. This listed duration may not actually represent the recording if: 1, the recording was started while the program was in progress; 2, there was an error in the recording and the file was truncated; or 3, if you manually told TVH to record longer than the program (i.e., to extend the recording time of a sports broadcast). In cases 1 and 2 the duration listed in the Recordings screen matches the EPG duration, but when the file is played back, it's length will be shorter. In case 3, the recording will actually be longer than the reported duration.

In all three cases, Kodi will play back the recording regardless of what the EPG data tells it about the recording, because once a recording is chosen for playback, Kodi bases the progress display based upon the file itself, not what TVH is telling Kodi. In cases 1 and 2 above, this means playback will end before the duration because Kodi reaches the end of the file. In case 3, it will continue to play after the duration has lapsed because there is still data in the file being sent to Kodi.

It's the disconnect between the initial Recordings screen displaying information from the EPG/TVH database, and when the recording is actually played the playback information comes from the file itself, no longer from TVH. This is why when you try to seek/fast forward past the end of a recording in progress playback ends: Kodi reached the end of the file, and therefore it believes that playback is finished because it doesn't know that there is supposed to be more data coming in, it just knows that it's not getting any more data.

(It's this behavior, the playback being based on the file itself rather than its guide information or other metadata, that makes me say this is not a bug per se, but rather an idiosyncracy of implementation. What Kodi is doing isn't wrong, because it doesn't know any better. And, until the way that the PVR subsystem in Kodi changes, it is unlikely to change.)

I haven't yet had time to investigate the Unpause Jumpback source to see if it is possible to write a service plugin that pauses playback when the end of the file is reached when viewing a recording in progress. I hope to do that this coming weekend, and if so, perhaps a kludge of some sort could be worked to at least help mitigate this "discrepency".
(2016-06-22, 20:35)raptorjr Wrote: I wonder if is the same with TVH. But using LiveTV in MythTV, Kodi uses the EPG data to know the end of the recording. Why isn't that done with a in progress recording? Then we would have a real end.
In LiveTV you are also at the end of the file, most of the time, but Kodi understands that it isn't the real end because of the EPG data.

Or am I missing something?
No, Kodi knows it is not the "real end" because when Kodi plays back a Live TV stream it handles it differently. Kodi plays back Live TV in a window it calls FullscreenLiveTV. However, when Kodi plays back a recording—even a recording in progress—Kodi displays that in a window called FullscreenVideo, which is what it uses for Movies and TV Episodes.

Kodi doesn't "know" that the stream is still going because of the EPG data. Kodi knows that it's playing Live TV which is a continuous stream, and therefore it handles it completely differently than a recording being played back. (Well, not "completely" different, but enough to make a difference in this situation.)
(2016-06-22, 21:03)rpcameron Wrote: No, Kodi knows it is not the "real end" because when Kodi plays back a Live TV stream it handles it differently. Kodi plays back Live TV in a window it calls FullscreenLiveTV. However, when Kodi plays back a recording—even a recording in progress—Kodi displays that in a window called FullscreenVideo, which is what it uses for Movies and TV Episodes.

Kodi doesn't "know" that the stream is still going because of the EPG data. Kodi knows that it's playing Live TV which is a continuous stream, and therefore it handles it completely differently than a recording being played back. (Well, not "completely" different, but enough to make a difference in this situation.)

In theory, should there be any problem with using FullscreenLiveTV for a in progress recording if there was a way to determine that it was actually a growing file? On the other hand, all playback offered through a PVR addon should always use FullscreenLiveTV player, or maybe change name to FullscreenPVR? But I guess there was a good reason to handle them different.
Yes. Because a recording file will eventually end. A Live TV stream will not end, the stream will always contain data.

Therefore, what would make the most sense is *if* a recording is in progress when it is being played back, then it should be handled as if it were a Live TV stream, otherwise it will behave just as it always did. It's only one edge case to handle, and just giving it a brief glance, I believe the Unpause Jumpback code could be modified to achieve the desired results.
Hello,

i have the same issue. Are there any news on this?
I have updated from a old Openelec (with Kodi 15.2) to Libreelec 8.2.4 with Kodi 17.6 (Recording with TVHeadend 4.2.3)
With Kodi 15.2 i can Fast Forward to the End of the Stream and the Playback resumes. But if i now go to the End of the Stream (while the Recording is running) the Playback stops. 

Too bad. I watch often my recordings with a small time offset. And FastForward/Skip the advertising.

Regards
Blondie

[edit]
If i play the Recording on a other Raspberry (Kodi 17.6.) over samba the FastForward is keep going (slowly) and i can Press Play to resume the Video
[/edit]
(2018-04-15, 14:49)Blondie Wrote: Hello,

i have the same issue. Are there any news on this?
I have updated from a old Openelec (with Kodi 15.2) to Libreelec 8.2.4 with Kodi 17.6 (Recording with TVHeadend 4.2.3)
With Kodi 15.2 i can Fast Forward to the End of the Stream and the Playback resumes. But if i now go to the End of the Stream (while the Recording is running) the Playback stops. 

Too bad. I watch often my recordings with a small time offset. And FastForward/Skip the advertising.

Regards
Blondie

[edit]
If i play the Recording on a other Raspberry (Kodi 17.6.) over samba the FastForward is keep going (slowly) and i can Press Play to resume the Video
[/edit]

This has been addressed with Kodi 18. Unfortunately, the changes will not be backported.
(2018-04-15, 14:56)rpcameron Wrote: This has been addressed with Kodi 18. Unfortunately, the changes will not be backported. 
 Hello,
sounds good.
I have made a quick test. I have installed the newest Beta from Milhouse (#0407, 07-Apr-2018) on a second system. Then i have connected to the first System with TVHeadend (with the TVHeadend Plugin).   
So far, it does not work yet. Is there a active Bug Report? I can't find them.

Hopefully that it will be fixed with Kodi 18  Smile

Regards
Blondie
(2018-04-15, 14:49)Blondie Wrote: If i play the Recording on a other Raspberry (Kodi 17.6.) over samba the FastForward is keep going (slowly) and i can Press Play to resume the Video
I tested this and the FastForward is indeed going on, but stops after a few seconds and the the video is exited. Same with you?
(2018-04-15, 17:41)Blondie Wrote: So far, it does not work yet. Is there a active Bug Report? I can't find them.
If I understand correct, there is:
(2018-03-27, 17:12)manül Wrote: This is known. See https://github.com/manuelm/pvr.dvbviewer/issues/11. I doubt this is fixable in the near future. 

I'm really looking forward to this functionng correct.
(2018-04-23, 20:19)WimKl Wrote:
(2018-04-15, 14:49)Blondie Wrote: If i play the Recording on a other Raspberry (Kodi 17.6.) over samba the FastForward is keep going (slowly) and i can Press Play to resume the Video
I tested this and the FastForward is indeed going on, but stops after a few seconds and the the video is exited. Same with you?   
I have just installed the latest Testbuild (#0422, 22-Apr-2018 from Milhouse)
Over Samba (and only if i Play the recording over Samba not over the tv plugin) it works. But that have nothing to do with pvr.dvbviewer. It is only a continuing Network Stream. 

(2018-04-23, 20:19)WimKl Wrote:
(2018-04-15, 17:41)Blondie Wrote: So far, it does not work yet. Is there a active Bug Report? I can't find them.
If I understand correct, there is:
(2018-03-27, 17:12)manül Wrote: This is known. See https://github.com/manuelm/pvr.dvbviewer/issues/11. I doubt this is fixable in the near future. 

I'm really looking forward to this functionng correct.    
  I hope so. The issue is closed since a few days. I don't know how to test this fix. I don't know if i use it.

But
Quote:We cannot determine anymore if playback has started (and ffmpeg scanning
has finished) so we unconditionally reopen the recording if it's in progress
and removed the blocking/sleep code. This also means the user can now seek to
the end and the player will stop instead of blocking/sleeping. However this is
still better than doing no reopen at all.
( https://github.com/manuelm/pvr.dvbviewer...a7bdf197f1 )
if i understand this correctly it will be indented to stop the stream ? 

I can't find them in my Addons. I think it is only for Windows machines? I'm on a Raspberry Pi with TVHeadend. Is it a TVHeadend issue?

Regards
Blondie
(2018-04-23, 21:25)Blondie Wrote: I'm on a Raspberry Pi with TVHeadend. Is it a TVHeadend issue?

Me too. It's not a bug, it's just implemented in several PVR-addons. Skipping or FF to the end in In-progress-recordings does function in VDR, but not in TVH and not in NextPVR, although NEXTPVR has an alternative solution for it.
VDR + oscam (for encrypted channels) doesn't work on a Pi, so that's of no use for me. And I really like TVH.
I believe TVH is blaming Kodi and Kodi says it's a TVH problem. So I was surprised to read that it would be solved in Kodi 18 and I have tested it too, but it doesn't function (yet?).

(2018-04-15, 14:56)rpcameron Wrote: This has been addressed with Kodi 18.
 rpcameron, can you point me to where you found this information? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.
I just tested with Kodi 18 alpha 3 and tvheadend and it works! Fantastic work guys.

Wim
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does timeshift actually work for any of you?0