[split] from Dev section: current state and vision
(2015-11-24, 15:06)SALAMINOMACHOS Wrote: I Love the Kodi enperience , but i am full in love with Aracnoz's DsPlayer with the Madshi Renderer

What exactly was unclear to you in this post: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=245680

This is the development section and if you are not able to contribute please refrain from posting here. I may move this post to garbage section later in order to keep discussion clear.
I am not a developer either but would like to point out that issues regarding complexity with DSPlayer should be directed in the right place. While voluminous in options, the player is being made out to be more complex than it likely is. It is a player that is maintained by one individual at the moment and kept in sync with the main codebase without issue. The complexity comes from the number of options available to the end user. This is complexity in set-up and understanding how to calibrate the player for correct playback.

Technical support surrounding issues with the function of the player have been minimal as evidenced by the DSPlayer support thread. The few issues that have arisen have been isolated to a small number of problems that have been fixed. So, I'm saying, educating the user on how to use the various options through technical support is a much greater concern than having the player break due to failures of any one component. Each DirectShow filter is stable and well-supported, while the player is designed to be minimally-invasive. The problem for users is understanding how to make DSPlayer work, not failures due to poor code.

I completely understand the argument against using DSPlayer. But its benefits/drawbacks relate to giving the user greater choice and freedom to tinker with settings, not the creation of code that destroys the proper function of Kodi.

It is also a question of the end-user experience. DSPlayer can, on a subjective or non-subjective level, offer a better end user experience. I have watched the development of Emby Theater, which is reaching a beta, and its inclusion of DirectShow and madVR is clearly aimed at creating a high-end experience. madVR uses costly processing and its motto is "to be the best possible at all cost." I wonder if that is valued or if modular, sustainable code is more important to Kodi developers.

If it doesn't work or is too difficult to implement, then DSPlayer users would be fine with such a decision. But it doesn't often happen that the philosophy or features of DSPlayer are given a fair chance to be considered by Kodi developers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] from Dev section: current state and vision0