From B+ to 2B: New software?
Hi everyone,

So I have bought a Rasp. Pi B+ one year ago, it was ready made by the company where I ordered. This means that it came included with SD card, Hdmi, wifi-stick and a USB that is supposed to make it run faster. It also was also configured and had all add ons pre-installed.

I actually want to upgrade to the Pi 2B, however, the company tells me that i need a new SD and USB because the Raspberry Pi 2B requires a different software. So they want me to buy a whole new set instead of just a 2B with which I use my old SD and USB.
I found this quite strange so i called, since i thought the Kodi software would be exactly the same software. The woman on the phone told me that Kodi would be the same but that a 2B required different boot software than the B+ since it has a quad core processor.

I know that you guys don't know what exact software they put on the SD/USB but it just seemed strange. I just know that they use openelec on the devices
Is it a plausible story that because of a quad core it needs different booting software?
Does the b+ use micro SD I can't remember?
The new 2b one does so yes you would need a new one.
No need for a USB stick anymore as its just as fast on the SD card.
No it just has a regular sized SD card.
(2015-11-25, 18:27)KaneZeno Wrote: No it just has a regular sized SD card.

No. B+ uses the same micro-sd card as the Pi 2.
If there are 4 USB ports then it's micro-sd. If there are 2 USB ports it is full size SD.

If you are updating from B+ to Pi 2 then you just need the Pi 2. You can still use the existing sdcard, and USB devices just fine.

Now, you'll probably need to update the kodi installation for Pi 2, but that is a pretty simple procedure. You'll have to say if you are using OpenELEC or OSMC or some other distribution.

Also, a USB install of kodi used to be recommended in the early days, but now there are SD cards that are cheap and faster than USB so it is no longer recommended.
Get a NOOBS card or a Samsung EVO and it will likely be faster than your USB install.
In that case, you do not have a model B+.
Ah the company told me i have a B+, but since i have a regular sized SD I probably have even an older model. Maybe I have the B model, so i require a micro SD to run a new 2B.
In that case it's pretty clear. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help
(2015-11-25, 19:03)KaneZeno Wrote: Ah the company told me i have a B+, but since i have a regular sized SD I probably have even an older model. Maybe I have the B model, so i require a micro SD to run a new 2B.
In that case it's pretty clear. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help

This is a RPI Model B...

This is a B+...

HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Pi Model guide :

Single core CPU
Model A : 1 USB, No Ethernet, 256MB RAM, Composite via RCA Phono, SD Card
Model B : 2 USB, Ethernet, 256MB or 512MB RAM (early Bs had 256MB), Composite via RCA, SD Card

Model A+ : 1 USB, No Ethernet, 256 MB RAM, Composite via additional pole on 3.5mm jack, uSD CARD
Model B+ : 4 USB, Ethernet, 512MB RAM, Composite via additional pole on 3.5mm jack, uSD CARD

Quad core CPU
Model 2 B : 4 USB, Ethernet, 1GB RAM, Composite via additional pole on 3.5mm jack, uSD CARD

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
From B+ to 2B: New software?0