Proposal to reduce framerate when not playing video
(2015-11-29, 05:35)spayno Wrote: A couple thoughts,

Instead of the spin and polling to do sleeping+exit, really we need to be going into a select or WaitForEvent on Win32. Maybe this could be done in the CWinEvent layer.

To make the GUI animations not be updated in the render pass, then they would need to be rendered based on anim ticks or on anim deltat.

You don't know that I am going to split the render thread from the main thread, do you?
(2015-11-30, 23:31)FernetMenta Wrote: You don't know that I am going to split the render thread from the main thread, do you?

If render thread was decoupled from input thread (main), then this would resolve the issue of being able to ensure inputs were being processed if the render was being throttled.

Assuming:
1. render thread includes gui renders.
2. render thread supports an interface to have other threads (main) set target framerate
(2015-12-01, 00:21)spayno Wrote:
(2015-11-30, 23:31)FernetMenta Wrote: You don't know that I am going to split the render thread from the main thread, do you?

If render thread was decoupled from input thread (main), then this would resolve the issue of being able to ensure inputs were being processed if the render was being throttled.

Assuming:
1. render thread includes gui renders.
2. render thread supports an interface to have other threads (main) set target framerate
Read the existings threads/posts and post in this subforum instead http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=240
In summary, this proposal saves power, but is too much like a hack that will add support complexity if integrated into master. A proper solution may become more viable once the render thread becomes split from the main thread. So from the master-branch perspective I'll close the PR.

Regarding the FernetMenta's branch, I'll comment on there.

(I'll leave the hack in one of my own branches until a proper way can be found).
Pausing may not be the primairy use case; idle is. Hopefully this solution also works nicely once the screensaver kicks in.
It depends on which screensaver is kicking in. If the screensaver is playing back video, then there isn't much power savings to be had.

What is a good reference screensaver? Mine is set to dim, but I don't know if that's typical or not.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal to reduce framerate when not playing video0