• 2(current)
Pi Zero
(2015-11-26, 16:49)DarrenHill Wrote: A couple of questions that maybe @popcornmix or someone with a zero can answer (or maybe @natethomas already answered in the kk vid, can't watch it yet as I'm at work) - are the two micro-USB ports both usable for peripherals if you power the board via the GPIO pins, or is one dedicated to power only?
Power only for the PWR Micro USB. There isn't a USB hub on the Pi Zero, and the SoC only has one USB port I believe. (Same as the Model A/A+, for the same reason)

Quote:And from scale, is it a full-size HDMI socket or a micro-HDMI?
Neither - it's a Mini-HDMI (the one that you often find on DSLRs and similar cameras, and that is also used on some - possibly all - Intel NUCs for HDMI)
(2015-11-26, 21:00)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-11-26, 18:48)bledd Wrote: As someone who has wrestled with wifi on RPi B+ and RPi2, I wouldn't recommend it. Ethernet all the way!

It can work on wifi, but it's a pain if it becomes saturated, you know with ethernet that you'll always have full speed.

USB to ethernet adapters exist. You could even get an ethernet enabled hub if you wanted. http://amzn.to/1Idat4f

Yep - and these days you can also get USB->Ethernet, USB Hubs and USB->Ethernet + Hubs terminated with Micro-USB OTG cables rather than having to use a MicroUSB to Full-size USB converter. They are used for tablets and mobile phones. I have a hub already in the 'useful things' drawer (more a room now...) and think a cheap eBay Ethernet adaptor may also be on the radar (it'll also be useful for a cheap Windows 10 tablet I have)

Here's one I found very quickly : http://plugable.com/products/usb2-otge100 (And plugable stuff is usually OK) Not cheap - but if you only need it for development it make sense. If you need it permanently then a Model B+ might be a better buy.
Can the Pi Zero be overclocked?

The old BCM2835 models seemed to be consistently good for >25% overclock (i.e. 900MHz Arm, 500Mhz SDRAM, 500MHz GPU). The Pi Zero is already running at 1GHz, but I assume there were hardware-level changes to make this possible that may have created more headroom.
(2015-11-26, 23:53)ZwartePiet Wrote: The Pi Zero is already running at 1GHz, but I assume there were hardware-level changes to make this possible that may have created more headroom.

Or could they be cherry picking SoCs that overclock better than average for the Pi Zero, and putting the rest in B+s and A+s?
How about USB Micro -> Ethernet + 3 port USB hub??

www.aliexpress.com/item/2/32219237848.html

Or, just USB Micro -> Ethernet

www.aliexpress.com/item/R/32323668766.html

Now we just need USB Micro B/G/N Wifi Adapters....
Would those work with a Pi? I'm thinking driver requirements.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-11-27, 08:38)DarrenHill Wrote: Would those work with a Pi? I'm thinking driver requirements.

Suspect there is a very good chance that they will. I've used USB 2.0->Ethernet adaptors on Model A/A+s to add network connectivity for development purposes, including one with an integrated hub.
(2015-11-26, 23:53)ZwartePiet Wrote: The old BCM2835 models seemed to be consistently good for >25% overclock (i.e. 900MHz Arm, 500Mhz SDRAM, 500MHz GPU). The Pi Zero is already running at 1GHz, but I assume there were hardware-level changes to make this possible that may have created more headroom.

It's the same BCM2835 processor as used on existing Pi1 devices. We are just doing the production test at a higher frequency.
Almost all recent(*) Pi1 devices will run at the Pi0's default overclock setting.

(*) There has been a gradual reduction in the variance of the silicon wafers with time which means fewer chips fail to run reliably with this overclock setting.
However even with early Pi1s the majority would run with this overclock.

The main change is we now have enough data on exactly what frequency a large number of Pi1's can run at to bump the default frequency without having to discard too many devices.

While experimenters can probably push the overclock a little more, you've already got most of the benefit by default so custom overclocking of Pi0 will be more limited in scope and not needed by the majority.
I know somebody who needs a basic media player. No network, no plugins, no scraping, just plug in a thumbdrive, browse a directory tree (maybe with posters) and play videos.

With the low cost I think one of these might do nicely.
That's basically my plan too, for when I'm travelling. The only awkward but is being able to plug in the drive plus some way to control the Pi (Bluetooth or WiFi dongle probably), necessitating adding a small hub that works with micro USB like the ones above.

Now just wondering if I can bodge up a small case that could contain both nicely.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
One of the nice things about the Zero is that I can use all of those power supplies that were underpowered for the other Pis.
Sucks the power USB port does not support data as the chromecast Ethernet adapter would have been perfect. Unless of course you can use the data USB port for power as well. I was thinking of getting a few of these for odd projects but would love to get Ethernet and power in one accessory and just use VNC remotely.

https://store.google.com/product/etherne...chromecast
(2015-11-26, 21:00)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-11-26, 18:48)bledd Wrote: As someone who has wrestled with wifi on RPi B+ and RPi2, I wouldn't recommend it. Ethernet all the way!

It can work on wifi, but it's a pain if it becomes saturated, you know with ethernet that you'll always have full speed.

USB to ethernet adapters exist. You could even get an ethernet enabled hub if you wanted. http://amzn.to/1Idat4f

True,

But the Pi2 also exists Big Grin

Nevertheless, I'll be buying a Zero, I love what the Pi foundation is doing.
(2015-11-28, 03:01)jebise Wrote: Sucks the power USB port does not support data as the chromecast Ethernet adapter would have been perfect. Unless of course you can use the data USB port for power as well. I was thinking of getting a few of these for odd projects but would love to get Ethernet and power in one accessory and just use VNC remotely.

https://store.google.com/product/etherne...chromecast

There is a suggestion that back-powering on the non-PWR USB will work in a similar way to some Model Bs.
(2015-11-27, 00:38)matthuisman Wrote: Now we just need USB Micro B/G/N Wifi Adapters....

You can get a pretty neat adapter for a full size dongle. See here.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi Zero0