Kodi to onkyo av receiver via hdmi audio issues
Hi all,
I have a raspberry pi2 with openelec 6.0 connected via HDMI to my Onkyo HT-R580 av receiver. Ever since the initial install, every time i start a radio stream or movie, i need to swith the av receiver to another source then back to the kodi source or else i hear no audio. When i switch and come back, the audio is there. The same happens while listening to Songza music addon. After every song, i need to switch the av reveiver to another source then back to the kodi source, or else no audio.

I have tried multiple settings in the kodi audio settings but nothing seems to give any fixes.

If anyone can help, please let me know.

Ps, i dont see how to change the direct setting in the av receiver that people talk about in thid thread. Maybe my receiver does not have that option.
Normal, boring Onkyo question. Is the Pi connected to HDMI 1 on the receiver? I had all sorts of issues in the past with an older Onkyo receiver. They all went away when I plugged the source into HDMI 1...
No, its not connected to hdmi1, its connected to hdmi2
(2015-11-27, 04:01)[email protected] Wrote: No, its not connected to hdmi1, its connected to hdmi2

Do you get the same issues with it connected to HDMI 1?

As I said, I had all sorts of problems with HTPCs connected to any HDMI input other than HDMI1 on an older Onkyo AVR.
These radio streams and videos that you are having problems with, wouldn't be anything to do with the banned add-ons (wiki) that got the last thread binned would they?
No, songza and my library is not banned as far as i know. I just moved my rpi2's hdmi to HDMI 1 and same thing. I also had a look in my onkyo av receiver settings and nothing stands out. Its pretty basic.
I had nothing but issues with Onkyo and HDMI, thankfully it died and I upgraded to a Yamaha that literately has zero issues. Try disabling CEC on the Onkyo or PI, you can also read the HDMI when it working and save it and force the Pi to use that every time.
(2015-11-28, 03:35)jebise Wrote: I had nothing but issues with Onkyo and HDMI, thankfully it died and I upgraded to a Yamaha that literately has zero issues. Try disabling CEC on the Onkyo or PI, you can also read the HDMI when it working and save it and force the Pi to use that every time.

Think you mean "Read the EDID"? (This is the data that the Pi gets from the display and receiver via HDMI.The receiver adds a block to the display's EDID block usually)

Yamaha receivers also have problems with some set-ups. It seems different manufacturers and different models differ quite markedly, and the TV they are connected to can also play a part. My first Onkyo was only reliable on HDMI 1 with PC sources, but my current one 'just works' with pretty much everything. I've only used them with Sony TVs.
My setup, the pi is connected to hdmi1 of the onkyo. My tv is connected to onkyo on the hdmi out. I disabled the audio going to the tv as i dont want it going there. It should only come out the receivers speakers.
(2015-11-28, 13:04)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-28, 03:35)jebise Wrote: I had nothing but issues with Onkyo and HDMI, thankfully it died and I upgraded to a Yamaha that literately has zero issues. Try disabling CEC on the Onkyo or PI, you can also read the HDMI when it working and save it and force the Pi to use that every time.

Think you mean "Read the EDID"? (This is the data that the Pi gets from the display and receiver via HDMI.The receiver adds a block to the display's EDID block usually)

Yamaha receivers also have problems with some set-ups. It seems different manufacturers and different models differ quite markedly, and the TV they are connected to can also play a part. My first Onkyo was only reliable on HDMI 1 with PC sources, but my current one 'just works' with pretty much everything. I've only used them with Sony TVs.

EDID, yes exactly. Since I have my Pi connected to the TV and passthrough sound to the AVR I had to read the TV EDID and then plug in the AVR. This way it only reads the TV EDID and not my AVR. This worked out for me because my TV supports DTS audio and I wanted to use the TV remote for CEC and not be bothered with the AVR for inputs.

@kitkat I think what you need to do is disable CEC on the AVR/TV and PI read the AVR's EDID and then enable CEC if you need it. Are you sure the input on the AVR isn't switching when the song ends?

You may also need to unplug everything except the PI from the AVR power on both and read the EDID then plug in other devices/TV, this way you maybe able to prevent any input switching even if it doesn't show on the display.
I have the same problem as kitkat. Sometimes when I play youtube video or video file there is no sound. I have to switch source to another on AVR and back to make it work. It doesn't happen when sound goes pass-through (DTS, AC-3). I didn't this issue with Kodi 14.2. I tried a lots of setting. Tried to plug in Pi2 to HDMI1. I tried to add hdmi_force_hotplug=1 to cfg but nothing helped. I'm forced to return back to Kodi 14.2 Sad

Raspberrry Pi 2, Kodi v15.2, OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0.0
TV Panasonic TX-P50G20E, BD Player LG BD390, SAT AB IPBox 9900HD, AVR Onkyo TX-SR308, MAGNAT Monitor Supreme set 1000
(2016-01-18, 10:33)GliderMan Wrote: I have the same problem as kitkat. Sometimes when I play youtube video or video file there is no sound. I have to switch source to another on AVR and back to make it work. It doesn't happen when sound goes pass-through (DTS, AC-3). I didn't this issue with Kodi 14.2. I tried a lots of setting. Tried to plug in Pi2 to HDMI1. I tried to add hdmi_force_hotplug=1 to cfg but nothing helped. I'm forced to return back to Kodi 14.2 Sad

Try enabling omxplayer in video/acceleration settings.
It resolved my issue. Thanks popcornmix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi to onkyo av receiver via hdmi audio issues0