PVR Timers based on EPG entries in the Recent Past
Scenario
You have just finished watching a tv show. "My that was good", you think, "I want to record the series."
"No, problem" you think, "Kodi can do that for me!"
So you navigate to the PVR EPG, select the show which has just finished, press the context menu and.... ARRRGH, why can't I set a timer!

So you think 'Find Similar...' should solve it....:, but then another problem, by default on RPi you only have 3 days of EPG loaded for performance reasons. The next showing is in 7 days time, so there are no matching search results.... ARRRGH AGAIIN!

The Solution
PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8447 enables the 'Add Timer' context menu option for EPG entries in the past.
So that you don't accidentally create potentially invalid one shot timers in the past, all timer types which aren't repeating are excluded from the list of selectable timer types.

(Actually on pvr.mythtv there is a Record Once option which is also considered a 'repeating' timer, but would allow you to catch a later re-run of a single shot programme as well)

The Questions
I think this is one of the killer features missing from the current (Jarvis Beta 2) PVR implementation, which otherwise is excellent IMHO, however my view may not be shared by all.

The second issue is that although I've tested my solution (briefly) and it seems to work well with pvr.mythtv & pvr.tvheadend on x86, it may not play play nice with all the pvr backends.

So...
  • What do you think of the idea
  • What do you think of my proposed implementation
  • Will it work with 'your' pvr client...
This is has now been merged in Kxxx master by the way...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR Timers based on EPG entries in the Recent Past0