Embarrassing Noob Question on Setting up Aeon MQ
Hi guys,

Right I have just completed my first proper HTPC build in about 15 years (surprisingly little has changed on the hardware side!), and I have just installed KODI, and after seeing the Aeon MQ screen shots, I HAD to have it, its simply gorgeous! So I have installed it straight away.

However, I must be being a complete noob here (and feel free to laugh me out of the forum) but I'm struggling with the most basic of set-up tasks - adding my media!

Can someone point me in the direction of a 'How To' post-installation set-up guide for Aeon MQ? I spent a couple of hours last night trying to figure out exactly how I go about adding and indexing my media, with no success. Maybe I was tired, and I'm sure it should probably be obvious, but can someone point me in the right direction please?

Incidentally the media is all on a NAS on three separate shares; Movies, Music and Photos on the LAN. I have been able to link to these shares in System > File Manager, but can't see anywhere to add the media contained withing them and index them in Aeon MQ.

Thanks in advance.
(2015-11-27, 10:50)Blade1001 Wrote: Hi guys,

Right I have just completed my first proper HTPC build in about 15 years (surprisingly little has changed on the hardware side!), and I have just installed KODI, and after seeing the Aeon MQ screen shots, I HAD to have it, its simply gorgeous! So I have installed it straight away.

However, I must be being a complete noob here (and feel free to laugh me out of the forum) but I'm struggling with the most basic of set-up tasks - adding my media!

Can someone point me in the direction of a 'How To' post-installation set-up guide for Aeon MQ? I spent a couple of hours last night trying to figure out exactly how I go about adding and indexing my media, with no success. Maybe I was tired, and I'm sure it should probably be obvious, but can someone point me in the right direction please?

Incidentally the media is all on a NAS on three separate shares; Movies, Music and Photos on the LAN. I have been able to link to these shares in System > File Manager, but can't see anywhere to add the media contained withing them and index them in Aeon MQ.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Blade,

Might be best to switch to Confluence whilst getting to grips with Kodi - especially as many (if not all) of the screens on the Wiki show the Confluence skin.

The Wiki is your best starting point - First_time_user (wiki)

But it sounds as if adding media sources is the issue you have, not sure about media on a NAS, but hopefully this helps - Adding_video_sources (wiki)
(2015-11-27, 11:52)Buff Wrote: Hi Blade,

Might be best to switch to Confluence whilst getting to grips with Kodi - especially as many (if not all) of the screens on the Wiki show the Confluence skin.

But it sounds as if adding media sources is the issue you have, not sure about media on a NAS, but hopefully this helps - Adding_video_sources (wiki)

Thanks for the reply Buff, so if I add the sources and media via Confluence, they will still be there when I apply the Aeon MQ skin?

I would have liked to do everything in Aeon to be honest - perhaps they have left out basic functionality like adding media in Aeon assuming that people will be applying the skin on a system that has already been set-up?
(2015-11-27, 11:59)Blade1001 Wrote:
(2015-11-27, 11:52)Buff Wrote: Hi Blade,

Thanks for the reply Buff, so if I add the sources and media via Confluence, they will still be there when I apply the Aeon MQ skin?

I would have liked to do everything in Aeon to be honest - perhaps they have left out basic functionality like adding media in Aeon assuming that people will be applying the skin on a system that has already been set-up?

You can do everything you need to in Aeon MQ (well, there might be something missing here or there, nothing major). It's just that you have the Kodi learning curve plus Aeon MQ (since as stated the Kodi wiki assumes you use the default Confluence). So by following the wiki you can get the Kodi settings tweaked, and get your media added to the library. Then switch to Aeon MQ skin. Here the main things to learn are
1. the Aeon MQ skin settings (unique to the skin)
2. The main menu customization
3. The pull-down top menu in the various "views" that allows you to select different view modes and also tweak them in various ways.

scott s.
It´s simple add sources and create library with MQ6, go to movies, Movies - Files submenu, and you have window for create new source, define content type, scraper, press ok and done, don´t need go to confluence.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
(2015-11-27, 12:23)Wanilton Wrote: It´s simple add sources and create library with MQ6, go to movies, Movies - Files submenu, and you have window for create new source, define content type, scraper, press ok and done, don´t need go to confluence.

Thanks for the replies guys, I tried this last night and there didn't seem to be any option to create a new source when I went to the Files submenu under Movies. As I say, I was tired so I may have missed it, so I will try again later this afternoon.
Blade, these guys beat me to it - whilst you can do everything in Aeon and most of us probably do, I'd echo Scott's comments about learning curves - so it might be an idea to switch to Confluence add the media source, scrape etc... and then switch back to Aeon.

Quick one on scraping, as you will read on the wiki; Kodi can scrape posters, fanart etc... from various online sources using an addon (Universal Addon I think is automatically installed). Most users probably do this, however, I prefer to do this externally first using Ember Media Manager which is a separate program (you'll find a thread for it under supplementary tools) and choose the fanart/posters etc.. I also like to be able to specify 1 genre for each movie, as this is one of the main ways I browse my collection, so I don't want movies showing up under multiple genres and Ember allows me to do this easily.

It's another program to get used to, and it all depends if you're as anal-retentive as me!!
(2015-11-27, 12:52)Buff Wrote: Blade, these guys beat me to it - whilst you can do everything in Aeon and most of us probably do, I'd echo Scott's comments about learning curves - so it might be an idea to switch to Confluence add the media source, scrape etc... and then switch back to Aeon.

Quick one on scraping, as you will read on the wiki; Kodi can scrape posters, fanart etc... from various online sources using an addon (Universal Addon I think is automatically installed). Most users probably do this, however, I prefer to do this externally first using Ember Media Manager which is a separate program (you'll find a thread for it under supplementary tools) and choose the fanart/posters etc.. I also like to be able to specify 1 genre for each movie, as this is one of the main ways I browse my collection, so I don't want movies showing up under multiple genres and Ember allows me to do this easily.

It's another program to get used to, and it all depends if you're as anal-retentive as me!!

lol thanks Buff, I am also a bit anally retentive on these things too. Luckily all my media has all the metadata, cover art and fan art in place within each movie folder (I use Media Centre Master), though I may need to re-run media centre master to create the right format metadata file for Kodi, as everything is currently set-up for my old Netgear NeoTV 550.
Good stuff - yes you might want to check the naming conventions as per the wiki to make sure the fanart etc... will show up correctly in Kodi.

Once you've got it all added to the library you can then use the Artwork Downloader addon to add disc images, clearart, logos etc...
(2015-11-27, 13:01)Buff Wrote: Good stuff - yes you might want to check the naming conventions as per the wiki to make sure the fanart etc... will show up correctly in Kodi.

Once you've got it all added to the library you can then use the Artwork Downloader addon to add disc images, clearart, logos etc...

Thanks! As you say - a bit of a learning curve here - I've only just peeled back the lid!
For get arts you need run addon artwork downloader

Run option Get Solo Cleart/Logo - solo mode for one specific item, or auto mode on top menu for all items in library, and you have all arts (disc art, clearart and others).

Need - addon Artwork Downloader, configure for use local arts, if you prefer save images together with your videos.

MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
Managed to get everything all set-up last night, and found the new source option with the menu below the Movies section. Took me an hour and a half to figure out how to access the different view options within the movie folder though lol but now its all sorted and looking great.

A couple of additional questions:

1. Is there a method to obtain a geometrically correct 2.35:1 (21:9) view? I have tried setting this up by using a custom 1920 x 817 resolution within the graphics card settings, but the geometry within KODI is all wrong.

Is there a way with Aeon MQ to set this up? If not, is it on the roadmap to be added to a future version at some point?

2. Ho do I access the additional themes included in Aeon? I have selected the option to download the full Extras pack within Aeon, but once downloaded the listed themes are not available (or rather when I select them, no backgrounds are added (everything has a plain blue background). Do I need to manually move some files here?

3. Is it possible to run dual resolutions. So for example, say you run a UHD resolution (3840 x 2160) for KODI to a UHD/4K compatible display, but you want to play video files in their native resolutions (1080P for example), or games at different resolutions to the KODI interface, so the projector performs the scaling rather than the PC - is this possible (or indeed is this what happens automatically)?

Thanks

(2015-11-29, 01:25)Blade1001 Wrote: Managed to get everything all set-up last night, and found the new source option with the menu below the Movies section. Took me an hour and a half to figure out how to access the different view options within the movie folder though lol but now its all sorted and looking great.

A couple of additional questions:

1. Is there a method to obtain a geometrically correct 2.35:1 (21:9) view? I have tried setting this up by using a custom 1920 x 817 resolution within the graphics card settings, but the geometry within KODI is all wrong.

Is there a way with Aeon MQ to set this up? If not, is it on the roadmap to be added to a future version at some point?

2. Ho do I access the additional themes included in Aeon? I have selected the option to download the full Extras pack within Aeon, but once downloaded the listed themes are not available (or rather when I select them, no backgrounds are added (everything has a plain blue background). Do I need to manually move some files here?

3. Is it possible to run dual resolutions. So for example, say you run a UHD resolution (3840 x 2160) for KODI to a UHD/4K compatible display, but you want to play video files in their native resolutions (1080P for example), or games at different resolutions to the KODI interface, so the projector performs the scaling rather than the PC - is this possible (or indeed is this what happens automatically)?

Thanks

Managed to sort no. 2 myself over the weekend - though I am not entirely sure how. The only thing I changes was to make the 'Appdata' folder visible in Windows explorer (it was a hidden folder previously), After doing that I can now view and load all the additional extra pack themes, and very nice they are too!

The other two questions are probably not appropriate in this thread now, so I will move them to a new thread.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Embarrassing Noob Question on Setting up Aeon MQ0