Issues connect laptop to TV
Exclamation 
I'm trying to run Kodi on my old laptop via OpenElec & display it on my TV, but I'm having some issues.

My laptop has a VGA port, usb, and ethernet
My TV has usb, component, coax port, and a usb...which I think is for memory sticks only. TV is not a smart TV.

My modem is directly next to all of the above, and my NAS is plugged into that.

Is there any configuration I can do to get this operating?
-------------------------------------

I looked at VGA to HDMI, but apparently it either doesn't work or I need a converter box.
I figured somehow using the ethernet...but I don't know how.
I looked at USB to HDMI, but I don't think that works either?

All cables I've researched seem to need more than just the cable.
Vga to component may be doable.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think I'm going to swap my tvs around and just do vga to vga. Will my HD VIDS at least play?
Depends on the laptop. Generally hdmi is your best bet.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
VGA to VGA seems to work fine. Got a cable at a thrift store for $2 instead of $35 at best buy :|
HD plays fine. My 1080P looks nice. I had a tiny stutter for a second, but it got through it.
Changed the Kodi display to the TV. It still mirrors, but no big deal. I just turned everything off of the laptop and let it ride.

Junky laptop, recycled. Win.
VGA will work fine at 60Hz.

However if you're in Europe (which I don't think you are) then VGA usually won't work at 50Hz (so you get judder on European TV, DVDs etc.) and neither does it support 24Hz (which is needed for judder-free playback of 24p content on suitable TVs). HDMI is better for these reasons, and carries audio too. However if you don't have an HDMI out on your laptop, it's a moot point.
Good to know. Thanks for all the info, guys.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues connect laptop to TV0